Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Bright fly shop

I spent several springs fishing the Lackawaxen long ago, before I moved up the Delaware and discovered the tail waters. I fished with Charlie and Ivan and those other geezers who hung out around that shop. They were really nice, warm, welcoming guys, with a great sense of humor. Also unbelievable fishermen. Ivan in particular - he was probably pushing 70 when he showed up in a beaten-up van with a mattress pad in the back of it that he called his "fishing wagon." There was some other old dude asleep back there, surrounded by waders and fly boxes. Ivan invited me to fish with him and I watched him wade out through boulders the size of file cabinets and pull one fish after another out of the river. Practically every cast. He fished the way my grandfather did, swinging a cast of soft hackles and relying on feel as much as vision. Meanwhile, I dead drifted my little emergers and duns, like the books had told me to, and landed one fish in the same amount of time it took him to catch six or seven. It was absolute clinic. I'll never forget it. And according to rumor, that was just an average night for Ivan... maybe even below average. Actually didn't realize Charlie had passed in 2017. That's sad news, if old news. Gem of a guy.

greg s is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Bright fly shop

This is a great thread, I love this wet fly. I did my first fly fishing on Esopus creek in the mid 70's, and wet flies were still in, and 2 or 3 on droppers were even better. I like the simplicity of this fly, and the local conditions that drove the initial idea of it. I've tied a few and am looking forward to using them this year. Can't seem to upload a picture of the ones I made, not sure why, but in any event, I am sure they will work.

Thread Information