Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Bagels

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I read up on what makes NYC pizza so great. So many talked about NYC water being the secret. Too bad we can't get THAT up here....
    This evenings white/garlic pizza with sausage
    Attachment 8973
    That LOOKS like a great pie!!!!!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sausage pizza and bagels? For such a smart guy you don't eat so healthy.

That pizza does look good though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I read up on what makes NYC pizza so great. So many talked about NYC water being the secret.
    It's the mafia controlled sauce and cheese! Roma Foods or Lisanti Foods, take your choice (but there are no others, lol)

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    It's the mafia controlled sauce and cheese! Roma Foods or Lisanti Foods, take your choice (but there are no others, lol)
    Maybe not quite the mafia, but there is a lot of pressure on the small pizzerias to buy the less expensive ingredients from the large distributors simply based on cost. Find a place that offers fresh mozzarellla (the kind that is sold in water) pie with homemade tomato sauce and fresh spices (typically fresh basil like a Margherita pie, or fresh oregano) and you will notice a difference in quality and taste. You will also be charged more because they cannot use the cheaper ingredients on the more delicate pies and get away with it. The slices, or more likely square pieces, will usually be smaller than the typical "plain" pie or "garbage" pie. For some of the pizza offered today (e.g. a bacon, ranch, chicken, egg Mc Muffin and anchovie pie with pasta on top of it), the pizza (pie) gets lost and the cheap stuff will be used.

Take it from someone whose grandmother made homemade pizza from fresh ingredients - The simpler fresh pie will taste better, have fewer calories, be easy on the stomach, even if you eat the entire pie (which I usually did).

NJPB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NJpatbee For This Useful Post:

lightenup (03-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post
    Maybe not quite the mafia, but there is a lot of pressure on the small pizzerias to buy the less expensive ingredients from the large distributors simply based on cost. Find a place that offers fresh mozzarellla (the kind that is sold in water) pie with homemade tomato sauce and fresh spices (typically fresh basil like a Margherita pie, or fresh oregano) and you will notice a difference in quality and taste. You will also be charged more because they cannot use the cheaper ingredients on the more delicate pies and get away with it. The slices, or more likely square pieces, will usually be smaller than the typical "plain" pie or "garbage" pie. For some of the pizza offered today (e.g. a bacon, ranch, chicken, egg Mc Muffin and anchovie pie with pasta on top of it), the pizza (pie) gets lost and the cheap stuff will be used.

Take it from someone whose grandmother made homemade pizza from fresh ingredients - The simpler fresh pie will taste better, have fewer calories, be easy on the stomach, even if you eat the entire pie (which I usually did).
    well said..... if you don't have one already, get yourself a pizza stone and make it all yourself the way you like it, I love pizza, even shitty pizza, but the best pizza is the pizza i make myself.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trouser Trout For This Useful Post:

NJpatbee (03-30-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

How lazy are we?
    If you can read you can make bagels.
    It's certainly easier than tying flies.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bagels

• 1 TBS Yeast
      1-1/2 C. Water
      4-1/2 C Flour

3 TBS Sugar
      1 TGS Salt

Combine 1-3/4 c flour with other ingredients.
    Beat 1/2 min a low speed and 3 min at high speed.

Mix remaining flour (2-3/4 c *) by hand to form a stiff dough.
    Knead 5 t0 8 min.

Divide into 12 pieces and form bagels.
    Let rise 20 min. **

Boil in 1 gal water & 1 TBS sugar for 7 min, turning once.
    Drain ***
    Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 F for 30 to 45 minutes.

Notes:
    * Exact amount of flour to get a stiff dough may vary with the humidity.
    ** If you like them lighter, let them rise longer.
    *** Dip in kosher salt, or chopped garlic, or onion. or sesame seeds. or whatever...before baking (optional).

Disclaimer: If you're a Jewish or German baker, you probably know a better recipe.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

Barleywine (03-29-2013), Rusty Spinner (03-30-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    well said..... if you don't have one already, get yourself a pizza stone and make it all yourself the way you like it, I love pizza, even shitty pizza, but the best pizza is the pizza i make myself.
    Well said TT. Get a stone, crank up the oven as high as it will go, and make your own pizza.

We make our own beer and pizza. Now that's what I call true survivalist skills!

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barleywine For This Useful Post:

NJpatbee (03-30-2013), Trouser Trout (03-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
    Well said TT. Get a stone, crank up the oven as high as it will go, and make your own pizza.

We make our own beer and pizza. Now that's what I call true survivalist skills!
    Almost every sunday evening in the TT house, i make homemade Pizza, and it is often accompanied with homebrew or homemade wine...... great way to wrap up a week and start a new one......

Hell no and it aint over now.......

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trouser Trout For This Useful Post:

Barleywine (03-30-2013), NJpatbee (03-30-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Pizza and sex are the two things that are always good, even when theyre bad. A good pizza made from fresh ingredients is special though. My friend built a brick oven in his backyard 2 years ago. He is extremely sicilian and is quite the chef as well. Makes the dough, sauce and cheese from scratch. Combine that with the brick oven and it makes for a pie money cant buy. We usually get together on sundays and make about 8 to 10 pies and eat like animals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post
    Maybe not quite the mafia, but there is a lot of pressure on the small pizzerias to buy the less expensive ingredients from the large distributors simply based on cost.
    I wasn't kidding about the Mafia controlling the majority of the ingredients' supply chain here locally. Being in the packaging industry for 20+ years before TU, I saw some eye-opening things in the business world. That is merely one of them.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    Pizza and sex are the two things that are always good, even when theyre bad. A good pizza made from fresh ingredients is special though. My friend built a brick oven in his backyard 2 years ago. He is extremely sicilian and is quite the chef as well. Makes the dough, sauce and cheese from scratch. Combine that with the brick oven and it makes for a pie money cant buy. We usually get together on sundays and make about 8 to 10 pies and eat like animals.

Where is my invite?
    I can make a bangin' pizza..you need the correct flour for the dough...What is he using?
    "OO" flour is the best..very high in gluten and nice fine mill........also the water is very important..you do not want softened water....hard water with lots of minerals is best, the kind that leaves green deposits on all your fixtures....

and if you are using fresh mozz...press it overnight to squeeze out the excess water, and season that cheese as it is usually very "flat" in flavor.....make sure the yeast is fresh and alive as well....

Very high temperature....very thin crust..the quicker it cooks the better..nice tender, crispy crust....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Where is my invite?
    I can make a bangin' pizza..you need the correct flour for the dough...What is he using?
    "OO" flour is the best..very high in gluten and nice fine mill........also the water is very important..you do not want softened water....hard water with lots of minerals is best, the kind that leaves green deposits on all your fixtures....

and if you are using fresh mozz...press it overnight to squeeze out the excess water, and season that cheese as it is usually very "flat" in flavor.....make sure the yeast is fresh and alive as well....

Very high temperature....very thin crust..the quicker it cooks the better..nice tender, crispy crust....
    Big whoop.

But can you bake a decent bagel?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thread Information