Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

West Branch Garbage Dump?

I don't fish the West Branch of the Delaware that often, but decided to hit it this weekend since most other rivers were blown out. While wading the PA side in the gamelands, I came across tons of garbage scattered along this steep hillside. This was much more than a few bags of roadside trash -- more like an illegal dumping ground. Has anyone ever seen this? Are local authorities aware of it? Seems like some sort of organized clean-up by fishing guides and river organizations might be a nice way to show good will up there...

BTW, fishing was slow with just a few spinner-sippers at dark. 65.5 degrees...

Similar Threads:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

That is sad, so what are we going to do? If anyone wants to meet up with some garbage bags to fix this situation, let me know. We can meet up early on Saturday morning. Everyone can bring some gloves and some garbage bags.

Are there any places that wouldn't mind picking up the trash bags so we don't have to leave them on the side of the road?

Who's in?

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I think I saw the same garbage two weeks ago but it is not at the Gamelands, it is up river past the abandoned shack; actually it is between the shack and WBA. You can't see the garbage from the road or the river, it is only visible if you attempt to climb the bank; there is a single space to park one vehicle on the road there. The bank is REAL STEEP when your in waders. If it is the same crap I saw we are talking about some serious garbage; alot of it can't be bagged, it's too large. When I saw it I couldn't believe it. Looks like someone cleaned out a house or apartment and just tossed it all over the edge and it tumbled down the bank, real fugly!

Michael M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

That is indeed a dangerous bank...I usually park by the old shack and wade up to the head end of the pool. Could someone talk to the right officials?? If we could organize a group to clean this up, we would still need some large trash hauling trucks. And I would need a week or so advance warning, since I live in NJ and would have to plan a trip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

trashing

I would be more than happy to help with the clean up. Here's my suggestion: someone has to find out the exact address and I would be willing to make the phone calls to the proper Department of Public Works. I'm sure they would be willing to drop off a dump truck along the side of the road for the day. All we would need would be trash bags, long nylon ropes for hauling objects up the bank and volunteers, who would bring their own work gloves and protective foot wear. It's fairly simple unless this is someone's posted property. If someone wants to give me the address so I can contact the DPW just drop me a PM. If they agree to lend a truck we can work out a mutually or fairly mutually agreeable date. Sound good?

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

And while you are at it:
    Maybe ask permission as this is all private property !!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Loomis,

I know you know the exact location, would you happen to know who the owner is? I'd like to contact him/her to find out more.

Who would deny someone access to clean up property? Eh... you never know, some people are flakey like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis,
    Call Jeff at the shop. It has only been through her good graces that the no trespassing signs havent been enforced.
    This would be a nice endeavor.
    It would mean the end of the "washing machine run", tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

trashing

Good point, Loomis. If the trash is on private property rather than a town easement which usually abuts town roads this would all be for naught unless our efforts are welcomed. If the landowner has any hesitation then I would say forget it and go fish instead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

If the landowner is the same person who owns the shack, I've spoken to him once before. I'll give Jeff a call tomorrow morning for the full scoop. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Saturday in Deposit there is a "White" appliance drop off day. If no one can get a truck, I have a trailer we can use.
    That now famous washing machine was the first thing I saw as I took my first float down the WB. It wasn't a good feeling seeing that. While I wasn't around then, "back in the day" that seemed to be the popular thing to do- just give it a good shove over the cliff-out of sight, out of mind.
    The "washing machine" that I inherited when I bought my place took a bulldozer to get it off the bank - a 1950 Plymouth that was 1/2 buried in the bank along with countless other things including a full size school bus-very close to the edge of the bank.
    I have rope but we will probably need a vehicle to assist in getting it up the hill. I just have a mini van.
    Then there is the problem of renaming the run once we are done.

Question authority particularly when they try to convince you that 2+2= Anything but 4

Jon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have an Explorer we can use depending on when this takes place.

Andre Valenti

Thread Information