Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Times Herald Record, 8/31, by David Dirks

"The annual cleanup on the Delaware River a few weeks ago was another great success. Sponsored by Kittatinny Canoes, this year's cleanup netted 11.87 tons of trash from the Delaware. This included 214 tires, 195 pounds of aluminum cans and 6.39 toms of scrap metal. More than 270 volunteers over a four-day period in July picked up this trash.
    It's this kind of public effort that we should applaud. We need more efforts like this to keep our woods and waters clean. It's the price we pay for the ignorance of others."

Allan

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Originally posted by Mayfly
    From the Times Herald Record, 8/31, by David Dirks

"The annual cleanup on the Delaware River a few weeks ago was another great success. Sponsored by Kittatinny Canoes, this year's cleanup netted 11.87 tons of trash from the Delaware. This included 214 tires, 195 pounds of aluminum cans and 6.39 toms of scrap metal. More than 270 volunteers over a four-day period in July picked up this trash.
    It's this kind of public effort that we should applaud. We need more efforts like this to keep our woods and waters clean. It's the price we pay for the ignorance of others."
    Unfortunately, the tires at this location are still there, along with a bunch of other debris.

Glad you're in, Poacher... Mayfly, are you in, the more the better, and so far we've only got a small hanfull.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by dcabarle
    Unfortunately, the tires at this location are still there, along with a bunch of other debris.

Kittatinny does a very good job with their annual cleanup on the main stem.

However, they work on the main stem from Dingman's all the way up to Narrowsburg - that's about 70+ miles of river

They do not clean up the West Branch of the Delaware River since they have no operations or campgrounds there.

Those that help in cleaning up the garbage strewn along the banks of the West Branch should be appluaded for their efforts as stewards of their home waters.

It is too bad that the propery owners are not responsible for their mess and have others clean it up for them.

Tight lines,
    TR
    www.delawareriverfishing.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Yikes Tony!

Give the guy a break. The least the fishermen can do for the property owner is to clean up his property. The owner is about 80 years old and has all he can handle just to mow his property.

He allows people to park and access the river on his property. The least we can do is help him keep it clean.

Hope to see you there next Saturday,

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by Big_Spinner
    Yikes Tony!

Give the guy a break. The least the fishermen can do for the property owner is to clean up his property. The owner is about 80 years old and has all he can handle just to mow his property.

He allows people to park and access the river on his property. The least we can do is help him keep it clean.

Hope to see you there next Saturday,

Jim
    Jim,

Is there any way we can secure a dumpster somewhere?

I met the property owner 1 time. He was very accomodating and welcomed us onto his property. Like you said, when I met him, he was outside pushing his lawnmower. It looks like we've got 4 so far, Me, You, Cingras, and Poacher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

trashing

If someone could tell me the Town involved I would call them and see if they can drop a truck off....it's worth a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by _ritter_

Those that help in cleaning up the garbage strewn along the banks of the West Branch should be applauded for their efforts as stewards of their home waters.

It is too bad that the propery owners are not responsible for their mess and have others clean it up for them.

Tight lines,
    TR

After you've finished your labors in cleaning up the mess along the embankment you should post a few signs that say:

NO DUMPING - NO LITTER

at the pull off so your hard work won't have to be repeated in the spring.

Best...
    TR

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cingras,

I'm not sure what town it's in... The place is so remote, I'm not even sure if it's in a town. ... I think Future Fanatic and WB Catetchuman both offered the use of a truck to at least get the garbage out of there.

_Ritter_... Are you in? We can use the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

trashing

That's great that we can put the stuff in the pick-ups but where is it going after that? If we got a Town truck I'm sure they would haul it off to their landfill. A quick call to the West Branch angler could verify the Town and I can take it from there. I'm tellin ya, it's worth the effort and it might avoid two guys driving around with pick-ups full of trash and nowhere to go. Am I missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

I've been watching and waiting to see if the town truck thing worked out before I threw myself (my truck)into the mix. It seems that the earliest I could be there on Saturday the eleventh would be around 12:00 - 12:30 pm. I had read earlier that the idea was to clean-up in the AM and fish in the PM. I'd be more than willing to have you guys leave the big stuff roadside and pick it up myself while you guys are hip deep in the river some place. (having done all the hard work. It would allow me to still do my small part (AND avoid being put in a plastic bag with the other trash, too.) I would just need directions to THE SPOT and any place that might permit us to drop off the trash.

John

P.S. I know some people/places up here that would not notice one more appliance or a few more tires in the yard...
    Of course I'm kidding... well, about suggesting that I would do that; those places DO exist...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

trashing

As far as I can tell the Town truck idea hasn't gotten off the ground. It starts with 1 or 2 phone calls that I'd be willing to make if I had some information as the proper Municipality to speak to. Let me know otherwise I'll be there regardless of the issue of where this stuff is going to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hi,

I am working on the town truck thing and will let you know.

I guess the plan is to meet at 7 and work in the morning. Is that right?

Jim

Thread Information