Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Caddis subsurface?

Hello all. I was fishing the Ramapo recently and there was a gray caddis hatch coming off. I was fishing mayfly nymphs with minimal success. I realized that I am underutilizing caddis pupa/larva and am a bit confused on the topic. So I came back home and tied up a few larva and pupa patterns and want to fish them.
    -For a gray caddis hatch for instance does a "caddis green" pupa with a dark brown head imitate correctly or would it now be a gray pupa?
    -Where (in the water) and how do you folks normally fish your subsurface caddis? I assumed larva like a nymph near the bottom and pupa like an emerger near the surface?
    -Which brings my next question, a strike indicator would obviously help with the bottom larva but would you use one for the emerger or just expect to see something on the surface? Thanks for any and all help.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Caddis subsurface?

You need to get Gary LaFontaine's book Caddis Flies, the definitive volume on the subject. There are so many different types of caddis, his book covers all of them. Most people don't recognize caddis hatches and egg laying activity. Just because you see caddis in the air, doesn't mean a hatch is going on. Most times when you see lots of flies in the air, not on the water, a mating flight is happening. Hatches are almost devoid of flies resting on the surface, they get up and leave quickly. The tell tale sign is the number of shucks in the water. You see the millions of shucks and say "where are the bugs?" They are already in the trees or grass alone the banks. When I first started fishing the Del system, I realized that caddis were way more important than mayflies, his book bears this out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the advice I'm already there. His book was the first thing I went to, after I posted this thread. My Dad has a copy and as soon as I opened it things became clearer. I just tied up some of his emergents and deep pupae and I'm going to try them out today. Thanks a lot Blue.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Another way to see caddis hatches are trout chasing them and leaping out on the surface. Also real aggressive rises. Emerging caddis are very fast swimmers.

For an emerger on top try tying a traditional deer or elk hair caddis but with some wood duck tied in sweeping back from the head. Looks just like the legs of an emerging caddis. Fish'em dead drift to rises or move em over the rise form if dead drift doesnt work.

You can also try some traditional wets in color and size of naturals and swing them. Deadly during caddis hatches.

Just be sure to have a pretty heavy tippet. The takes can be as hard as any you'll ever have!

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thread Information