Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Striper Surf Reports ?

I have not seen much in the way of Striper surf reports,,can someone add to this and keep it going through the season ?

North Jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Striper Surf Reports ?

I have been out to the Montauk Light House..the action was very good to unreal,used spinning grear untill i got board than busted out the fly gear,used a dicever and did well,nailed more Little Tunny than Striper but had a blast,Montauk is the place to be in October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Montauk has been hot for the past few weeks with more stripers than you know what to do with. Today was on/off/on/off/on from the reports I got from friends on the water. Yesterday was on most of the day, later in the day the commercial guys came in and scooped up loads of bass.
    Jersey has been on and off as well. Bas at the hook if you are there at the right time. Its been consistant in certain areas during moving water. Asbury area has seen fish as well.

The albie fishing has slowed in Montauk but fish can be found if you look for them. Once the big push of fish move out of Montauk it will only be days before they are all over the jersey coast. The big bass have still not showed on eastern LI, that will take some time and wont be til probably early to mid nov when the herring show.

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the good reports, perhaps this thread can keep going during the next 4-6 weeks.

North Jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fished Island Beach State Park yesterday. Skunked on about 3 hours effort. A few fish taken on clams. Some bait moving through but all out beyond the bar.

~James

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Don't worry about the skunking. Its still too early for IBSP. Fish need to move out of LI and hit SH heavy b4 you will see a good amount down there. Another couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jcstikfish View Post
    Fished Island Beach State Park yesterday. Skunked on about 3 hours effort. A few fish taken on clams. Some bait moving through but all out beyond the bar.

~James

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fished Sandy Hook early Sat morning, some mullet in around but nothing on them, no one really catching anything, other then few shorts on clams.
    I am going to Montauk next week, I will ask the bass to start making their way down here AFTER my trip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RedTag2000 View Post
    Fished Sandy Hook early Sat morning, some mullet in around but nothing on them, no one really catching anything, other then few shorts on clams.
    I am going to Montauk next week, I will ask the bass to start making their way down here AFTER my trip
    About the hook, As I wrote in my post the other day..."Bas at the hook if you are there at the right time. Its been consistant in certain areas during moving water" That is definetely holding true. You need to be in "certain areas" to find consistant fish. I believe we may have a report here soon that a fellow boardmember may have found that "certain area" today!

-FT

--FT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fished the Hook today from the small boat. The morning was slow, but, from 1PM on the place was on FIRE! Got a few in the boat, but decided to beach it in favor of fishing from the beach. The incoming tide with the wind behind it made for alot of wave action and the bait was getting pummeled for 4 solid hours. I left them biting.

Most times when I've encountered this situation, the birds are the only thing feeding on the bait. Not today. The bass had the bait pinned in this little cove for hours. You could blind cast or fish to busting bait, didn't matter, you hooked up. At times on every cast. Most fish were 24 to 28 ins. with the bigger fish going 15 lbs. There were some bigger blues around also. You didn't need to cast more than 20 ft. I would say the best day of bass fishing I've ever had.

Get out there at first light and in the evening if you live local. If this was a Sat. night, I would have returned the boat at 5PM and made the short drive to the Hook and walked to this spot. If I lived local, I'd be at the bay somewhere looking every day right now.

Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

What type of bait were they feeding on? Time to break out the vise again and tie some more salt patterns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Mike, This time of year you will see Peanut Bunker as the main source of food. Some Mullet and also som Rain fish. If you are going to tie.... big deceivers will work fine. When fish are blitzing like this pretty much anything you toss that can be seen will be eaten.

We are talking stripers and bluefish here. They are not too picky this time of the year. THey eat as if they were going to the chair tomorrow.

--FT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I was out in Raritan Bay (not on my couch or a computer) on Columbus Day and searched from Breezy Point across to the Verrazano, down to Great Kills Harbor, then across to Horseshoe Cove and then finally down the Sandy Hook Beaches...NOTHING! We must have completed that loop 7-8 times before we went back to the dock, very disappointing. The Jersey Shore is so hit or miss because it lacks structure to hold the bait in "certain spots". Sometimes you have a better chance of getting polio than getting a striper

Green Highlander

Thread Information