Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: Should River access via River Road in Stockport be closed?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it would deprive fishermen of an access point to great fishing water.

57 77.03%
  • Yes, the owner should be able to have River Road closed if he likes.

11 14.86%
  • Who cares, there are other places to fish that equal the fishing opportunities of Stockport.

6 8.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Should River access be Closed via River Road in Stockport?

What has changed over those episodes is increased siltation of river bottom. Our once clean, pristine river rocks are gone.
    I agree 100%! I can remember when the bottom structure was perfectly clean and entirely free of any siltation. Now not only has the bottom of the WB where I most often fish become covered with silt and in many places mud but I noticed, for the first time in late summer of 2015, a very large section of that same water covered with large patches of rock snot. So much in fact that there was no actual rock visible just that ugly crap. The pool where I've seen the rock snot build up is pretty much devoid of insect life and the fishing has fallen off 75%.

Fly fisher for fifty-five years and still loving it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

a HUGE 17" -18" fish
    So funny, LOL.

So often I hear guys screaming at the top of their lungs about the monster 24" rainbow they caught and then go through the absurdity of both getting hero shots and dicking around with the poor fish for ten minutes. I've seen some of these "monsters" most would be a stretch to say it was a legitimate 18" trout. I've told quite a few guys over the years to quit dicking around and get it back in the water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

This post if off the initial thread but it does much to compare fishing on the upper Delaware of today to that of forty years ago. The following are a few no bullshit journal entries from September of 1973. Back then I taped every fish but was catching so many that it wasn't crucial to me so I rounded up, or down, in 1/2" increments. If it measured 17 3/8" it was logged at 17", if it measured 17 5/8" it was logged at 18". Notice not one brown trout.

September 09, 1973

1 - 15" rainbow
    1 - 16" rainbow
    2 - 17" rainbow
    1 - 17.5" rainbow
    2 - 19" rainbow

September 18, 1973

This was a good day!

3 - 10" rainbow
    1 - 13" rainbow
    1 - 15" rainbow
    1 - 16" rainbow
    1 - 16" brown
    2 - 17" rainbow
    1 - 17.5" rainbow

I have records for eight non consecutive trips in September. I put fifty-eight (58) trout from 10" - 19" into the net. Note this was forty-two (42) years ago when hardly anyone was fishing where I fished and I didn't land a single 20" trout of either species. But back then rainbows were king and as I mentioned the ratio was 5:1 or even 6:1. For this period it is skewed even more in favor of the rainbows. Only 13.7% of the trout landed were browns. I didn't do well in math but isn't that like an 8:1 ratio?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It was very rare to catch a decent brown many years ago in MS below the junction and all of the rainbows were in tip top shape, great colors and not a mark on them. A good portion of the rainbows today seem to be stressed some during the prime season with marks on their mouth hinges or even a missing hinge. Coloration on them too is not as pristine, further showing stress. Years back, as WBranch will confirm, almost every rainbow used to zip into your backing regardless of size. I just don't see that anymore.

In my opinion, brown trout have greatly increased in numbers in the MS due to the more siltation and decreased water quality. They can take those deteriorating conditions better than the rainbows.

CDun

5. The Following User Says Thank You to comparadun For This Useful Post:

Wbranch (01-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Years back, as WBranch will confirm, almost every rainbow used to zip into your backing regardless of size. I just don't see that anymore.

In my opinion, brown trout have greatly increased in numbers in the MS
    Wholeheartedly agree. Much of the excitement back in the early days was knowing that it was likely that even 15" rainbow would put you into the backing when using the click and pawl fly reels we all used back then. My reel of choice then was, depending on rod length, was a Hardy LRH or the Hardy Princess. I still use one of my LRH's often as I just love the sound of hearing the pawl engaging the gear as a fish runs down river.

My buddy and I used to get excited when we would catch a brown as they were quite rare. I do remember the browns being on the average large than the rainbows and once when my Dad went up by himself he hooked and landed a huge brown, both length and weight, on top. Luckily for him as he was fighting it a recreational canoe came down with two guys in it and they watched the fight and took his picture, got his address, and later sent him a slide. I'd say it was 22" - 23" and close to 5#.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    373 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I'm a Delaware noob compared to you old farts (compared to anyone) and I've got to say that I catch mainly bows on the MS (not that I have a problem with that). And yes, most of them still take me into the backing, even some of the 16" dinks. I could catch these fish all day long and be happy. You should be happy that most of the tools traveling up there are after big Browns, so fish higher up on the river. I had a couple of wade days last year (spring and fall) where I went double digits with the bows. This river will always be packed, the genie is out of the bottle on that, just be happy that most waders are lazy shits so they'll be packed around the ramps. You should also be happy that most of them don't know how to fish either, so they won't be ripping too many lips.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

MOST rainbows DO NOT take you into the backing these days........SOME, still show you backing.

MOST waders are not lazy shits.......you have it wrong Mr. Naazoooom, the LAZY SHITS are most of you up here that sit your lazy asses in a banana boat or stinktoon anchoring up on fish to make your 20' cast to possibly hook up and rip some lips. Fly fishing at its' best.

Always the Facts......................CDun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    666 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by comparadun View Post
    MOST rainbows DO NOT take you into the backing these days........SOME, still show you backing.

MOST waders are not lazy shits.......you have it wrong Mr. Naazoooom, the LAZY SHITS are most of you up here that sit your lazy asses in a banana boat or stinktoon anchoring up on fish to make your 20' cast to possibly hook up and rip some lips. Fly fishing at its' best.

I disagree, the LAZY SHITS are me, who don't drive their asses up there to experience the hatred and anger of the locals, who's economy by the way, is being supported by all the so called jack asses and lazy, delinquent, mean hearted, littering, loud mouthed, rude, obnoxious, (did I forget any?) fishermen who frequent the upper Delaware........I can't wait until I have some free time to venture up there, and I hope I meet cdun, so I can see what a real good fisherman does, because my would be, 93 year old grandpa wasn't unlazy and didn't teach me shit about what lazy fishermen do. Please enlighten me and tell me about the real fisherman, and how I must do it to be accepted by the jackass contingent......stfu and get a life!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by comparadun View Post

So what is the problem? I don't understand where all the anger is coming from. Look at it this way we don't use the European model of privatizing water. It is a great thing that in this country the only true cost of fishing is the price of a license

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

No problem whatsoever.

Just stating the facts as always and making accurate observations.

Obviously, most of the youngsters here cannot stomach that.

CDun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Delete double post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm a Delaware noob compared to you old farts (compared to anyone) and I've got to say that I catch mainly bows on the MS (not that I have a problem with that). And yes, most of them still take me into the backing, even some of the 16" dinks. I could catch these fish all day long and be happy. You should be happy that most of the tools traveling up there are after big Browns, so fish higher up on the river. I had a couple of wade days last year (spring and fall) where I went double digits with the bows. This river will always be packed, the genie is out of the bottle on that, just be happy that most waders are lazy shits so they'll be packed around the ramps. You should also be happy that most of them don't know how to fish either, so they won't be ripping too many lips.
    I don't believe that I have been complaining about my fishing on the system. I have been catching less rainbows and many don't fight as good as they did thirty years ago. But those are just facts that I can see in my personal experiences. You Sir just might be a much better fly fisher than I am. It must be so if you consider a 16" wild trout a "dink". My, oh my, how jaded some of us have become to label a beautiful wild trout with the ignoble name of "dink".

Thread Information