Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post QUOTE - Art Flick on Stocked Trout and Selective Trout.

Smaller trout have not reached this degree of selectivity, especially in the streams where legal-sized fish are stocked. Most fish caught today are from seven to ten inches long and have not been away from the hatchery long enough to know what is going on. They will generally rise to anything that comes over them if it looks like food, and I have yet to find a real trout fisherman who got any satisfaction from catching them.

- Art Flick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs down

This is one of the many reasons why I do not care for Art Flick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Seems a bit arrogant........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs down Damn ...

I'm not a 'real trout fisherman'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

me neither...though I never claimed to be. today had one of the most enjoyable lunchtimes ever hitting stocked trout today in a place that I didn't really to find them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

art appears to be a purist.... he does have a point. not too hard catching fresh stockies... but the comment about "real trout fisherman" is silly. perhaps since I'm not real, he wont feel my foot up his ass...

sqerl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I can't type either. it was supposed to be: "I had one of the most enjoyable lunchtimes ever hitting stocked trout today in a place that I didn't really expect to find them"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Guess I'm not a real trout fisherman? Heck, I still get satisfaction from catching bluegills. Maybe i'm just an overgrown kid who enjoys the sport for the pure fun of it. You know the saying.."opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and lots of em' stink". He's entitled to his opinion but not the type of person I'd spend a day astream with. I'm sure he'd feel the same about me too unless I could show up with a 5 thousand dollar split cane rod. Hmmm, I wonder if he still uses fine gut silk for leaders?

Natty
    The fishin' is almost always good, it's the catchin' that sometimes stinks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I don't know... Maybe the stocked trout are stupid for the first day or so, but it' been my impression they catch on pretty quick.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

It's idiots like him that give flyfisherman a bad rep. Unfortunately he's not alone in his attitude, but the crowd does seem to be thinning considerably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Well I guess he's got a point but one which is not well made.

All else being equal, I think most of us would prefer casting dry flys to selective wild trout over fishing for easier stockies any day of the week. The fun is in the fishing rather than the catching (assuming one can hook at least a couple of wild fish). However, many of us fish for stocked trout as that's what we tend to have close by. To imply that if we enjoy fishing for stockies that we are not real fisherman is silly.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Art flick

Guys I hought I would shed some light on the situation.

Art Flick was probably the most imortant person who fished and lived in the Catskills.If not for him the Catskills would not be what it is today.

Every day of his life was about protectiing and enhancing the fisheries in the catskills.

HE DID MORE THAN ANYONE COULD EVEN IMAGINE.

He did not just tie flys and write the streamside guide.

His remark I am sure was based upon the fact that he was AGAINST puttting stocked fish in the wild trout streams.As some of you may or may not know stocking a wild trout stream is detrimental to the wild fish populations.

Aslo keep in mind back then there where divisions or sects among flyfisherman.

There where many guys who disliked each other.

There where groups like the dry fly purists,the wet fly guys the ones who would only fish for wild trout and those who wanted to stock all the rivers.

Back than Fyfishing was not nearly as big as it is today in terms of the numbers of guys doing it.I dont think Art thought about being politicaly correct.

So going back to his statement I would have to think hat it was directed at a select few.Maybe Hewiit and his coherts who where big into stocking the rivers.

Not for anything but If I WANT to just go and catch a boat load of fish I fish the Bkill or wilo.I do it because its fun when I want to challenge my skills and knowledge I fish for wild trout.He is right small stocked fish are "dumb"!

Also if you read his statement carefully he said that he did not know any real flyfisherman who got SATISFACTION from catching stocked fish He did not say that YOU ARE NOT A REAL FLYFISHERMAN IF YOU FISJED FOR STOCKED FISH.

If you want arrogant I suggest reading A ring in the rise and The dry fly code by Vincent Marinaro.He was as arrogant as they came,however he was one of the great ones and I learned much from his books.

Basically if you did not use a bamboo rod,dry flys and fish a spring creek you where not a real flyfisherman.

Thread Information