Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Catskills Report

Hi all,

I'm going to try and provide some info for those going up this weekend.

Took a gamble and floated the Upper Mainstem on Wedensday. Weater, sunny with some clouds. We saw rising fish from noon to about 6 PM. Not a tremendous number but plenty to keep us busy. The fish were working hard, were spooky (water was extremely clear) but were quality fish (Check out the photo attached. Mainstem Brown on size 20 Chimarra pupa, dead drifted in film.)

Fish were eating size 18 to 20 Chimarra Caddis (black body). Some female hendrikson's came off about 2 but few and fish wen't on them. We were all wrong about the hendriksons. They won't probably be going til next week. Water still cold on WBD and Upper Main.

On Thursday fished back up the Beaverkill, Willow and Neversink. Nothing doing on the Beaverkill. Willow had fish rising. However, we couldn't match the hatch and got skunked. Tried everything. I think they may have been eating emerging micro caddis. Will talk to Joe T and learn my lesson.

Neversink, as reported, was on fire with paraleps, female and male hendriksons as reported. They started coming off at around 1 PM. Hatch last to about 5 pm although duns on water til dark. Size 18 paralep parachute was the best pattern and later a size 12 female hedrickson compara spinner (14 would have been a better size). They were eating duns and later spinners but did not get into a really heavy fall just enough on the surface however.

All and all a great trip.

Good luck to anyone heading up this weekend.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	117  

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

One more thing.... If you're looked for a good guide and a great guy as for Bart at the DRC. Very enthusiastic, puts in the extra effort (he back rowed us up a pool to hit a bank a second time and it payed off big). Very knowledable.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Fred,

Thanks for the excellent update! Looks like you had a great time up there this past week. How's the water clarity, water temp? I know you said Cold, but did you take an actual temp? Anyway, like you said, in a week or two it should warm up to a perfect level.

Bart is a nice guy. He spent some time with me while I took the class. Very easy to get along with.

That fish must have been a blast. BEAUTIFUL! Did you catch many like that?

I've gotta tell you, Fred... My father used to try to get me to go to the West Branch with him all the time but I was too content with the Beaverkill. It wasn't until 2 years ago that you sparked my interest in the Delaware. This is now my river of choice. There's nothing like hooking into a 13" Rainbow that will run you into your backing. I'm not sure what the bruiser in the photo you posted did, but I'm sure it was something else!

I can't wait until the water recedes a bit more so I can wade it. The few months that I can't fish it due to the inlement -0 degree weather are very painful. A few more weeks and I'll be heading back up there every chance I get.

Thanks Fred.

Dennis

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis,

It was a classic Mainstem day... not many fish were boated. We caught a couple of other stocky browns, probably about 18 inches or so. We missed/ broke off 3 or 4. While the river wasn't carpeted with rising fish, there were enough to keep us very busy and the fish working were working pretty hard.

For example, we saw exactly 4 fish rising in the Stockport pool and they were all within about 40 ft from each other (we got 2 of them!). Every pool seemed to have a couple of fish rising during the afternoon. We just had to hunt them down and set up on them. We certainly had plenty of opportunities to keep us busy.

The fish were very spooky and would go down if we got too close to them to accomadate our rusty casting in the wind. They also were very line and leader shy. One bad cast would send them sulking to the bottom. The water was just so clear!

It, as expected, really shut down about 6 PM. Not much going on in the evening. No bugs.

I didn't take the river temperature but the Main is warmer then the WBD which is really struggling to get over 50. Water is as clear as I've ever have seen it. It's spring and I think the big run off this year has really moved a lot of silt downstream!! Good news. In fact all rivers were spring creek clear.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Fred, I Knocked em dead!

In my "special" Neversink area I sent you guys to.

They were surface feeding for almost 5 hours.

Same thing strong paraleps and good hendricksons.

8 fish that were 16/17 inches all wild Browns,the rest were all small 6-12 inches wild as well.

I will be back up there on Sunday.

Tommorow fishing the east Branch in the early am.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Talking

Great. Glad to hear ya had fun.

Geeze after we're done schooling those fish I'm actually going to have to start tying the correct number of microfibbets to exactly match the naturals. They'll be counting tails before eating their meals!

Thread Information