Simms

View Poll Results: Do Trebble hooks do more damage to trout than single hooks?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they do.

116 90.63%
  • No, they don't.

10 7.81%
  • Who cares, I'm playing for keeps anyway.

2 1.56%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Barbed trebble hooks = trouble.

While standing on a bridge that runs over a PA Spring creek, I witnessed an angler attempt to carefully remove a trebble hook from a wild browns mouth. The only problems were that he had the fish up to his nose while standing on the bank and he took much too long. I watched this guy for about 10 minutes try to get his trebble hook out of the fish's mouth. Once removed, he gently placed the fish back into the water and tried reviving him.

I'll have to admit that I don't always debarb my hooks while fly fishing however, I can't remember the last time I hooked a fish which couldn't be released by simply jiggling the hook out of its lip. I very rarely have to hold a trout for more than a few seconds. Either way, you should debarb your hooks.

I know some will disagree that barbed trebble hooks cause more damage to trout, but let's try a little test. Get an old sweater. Stick 1 hook into the sweater and try to remove it. Now take a lure with a trebble hook and hook all three hooks into the sweater and try to remove them. Which took longer to remove? Now remove the barbs from the hooks and repeat the test. Please post your conclusions here.

I'm wondering how often some of you hook a fish on a fly and the fish swallow's the fly?

TomE NEFF Guest

Thumbs down treble

I'm not a big fan of the treble hooks. When I fished more for bass, the mid & smaller size had a bad habit of getting the top and lower lip hooked.

I basically removed all the treble hooks and replace the last hook w/ a single circle hook (with a skirt).

This isn't to start a debate on flies vs lures ... Its just how I solve the treble problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I happened to use treble hooks this past weekend probably for the first time in 40 years and anyone who thinks that treble hooks don't do more damage to trout than single hooks is a fool. I debarbed the treble hooks but it still takes longer and is more difficult to remove the hooks and requires more handling than a single barbless hook does. I usually debarb the flies I use and I find when using streamers I can simply leave the fish in the water and remove the fly - no handling at all. I can't remember having a trout swallow a fly in all the years I have fished and can't remember any fish that I've released that I doubted would survive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs down

Treble hooks for trout should be outlawed. If any one has noticed via the fly swaps, I always smash the barb down on my fly's. I really try to practice this all the time. I feel that treble hooks are really ment for the people who will harvest everything they catch. Just my two cents worth.

Andy B

Unregistered NEFF Guest

Thumbs down Treble Hooks... yeegads!

I thought trout fishing with treble hooks went out with the middle ages. Those hooks are miniature grappling hooks, and they're used for climbing not fishing. Barbs just add to the insult. If you can't give our fisheries resources more of a fighting chance by using a single barbless hook, take up another sport... like climbing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Treble Hooks... yeegads!

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I thought trout fishing with treble hooks went out with the middle ages. Those hooks are miniature grappling hooks, and they're used for climbing not fishing. Barbs just add to the insult. If you can't give our fisheries resources more of a fighting chance by using a single barbless hook, take up another sport... like climbing.
    WOW!!! Now that's probably the best description of a trebble hook I've ever heard! Nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I guess we're all of the same opinion. Further, I find that on occasions, the multi-point hooks can lead to LOSING a fish.

I fish mostly for Atlantic salmon. I have on many occasions seen fish suddenly shake off the hook. Me and several other guides are sure that the double hooks (barbed) eventually open up a larger wound in the salmon's lip and pouf... of he goes. Remember we're talking #12 - #14 doubles.

We are opening this year with catch and realese ONLY on samon over 63 cm. I'm going to the wildlife departement next week to try to get doules and trebles banned for the duration of the catch and release season. We already banned lead, beads, and leaded leaders. Tis year I hope to get rid of sinking lines and braided leaders.

My 0.02$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Chris,

Why get rid of braided leaders? Or do you mean lead core leaders?

JohnO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ooops,

Around here, braided "usually" means the treated ones which can be made to sink (like Rios) Also, Moser makes some lead core ones too. We feel that once NO braided leaders are on th eriver, it'll make life that much easier for the wardens. No more wondering if the braided leader he sees is sinking type or lead core.

Same thing for BIG wooly buggers. I discourage my clients from using them as it avoids confusion when you see SPLAT and a big #6 wooly hits the water from 150 yds away. The game warden doesn't have much choice but to call you over to check the fly isn't leaded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Barbed trebble hooks = trouble.

BUMP

An oldie, but a goodie, associated with a poll that has interesting results.

So sorry NJAngler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

QT,

I saw this a month ago or so. Seems fitting now like you said. I like the grapling hook detail that's a hoot. Could you imagine someone debarbing one of those not likely to happen.
    I fish in Canada the first time with barbless and learned quickly to keep the preesure on when debarbed even when I lose a fish it's ok. No meat sticker here. Only when fishing for camp food or hunting deer. I won't cook fish

Hllywd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Are the odds higher that a treble will do more damage? Of course, but a high % of fish I hook using barbless spinners are hooked by one point and rarely all three. A good 25-30% also fall off before i can even land them whereas "falloffs" for barbed flies are generally rare. most trout lost are because the tippet breaks and not so much the hook coming out. Not sure how many of you use barbless flies but I imagine falloffs there are also quite high.

Another "point" as it were, is trout size. I find I catch much smaller wild trout - 1.5" to 3" size trout - using size #14 or smaller flies and because they're mouths are so small, the barb of just one single hook can really inflict damage incl. eye, gill and brain. Fish that size are rarely hooked successfully using a treble spinner and since they are smaller/weaker, they are more susceptible to mortality. Just an observation.

Mark

Thread Information