Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: Do Trebble hooks do more damage to trout than single hooks?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they do.

116 90.63%
  • No, they don't.

10 7.81%
  • Who cares, I'm playing for keeps anyway.

2 1.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts

Re: Barbed trebble hooks = trouble.

ah , sometimes I just cant resist, at least on this one, because its a pet peeve.

"barbed treble hooks", how about treble hooks in general,..(lets just speak of trout fishing) .are very bad, and if you really need to be using them on a WTS, you are lame, plain and simple. I mean theres nothing better than ripping the lips off a beautiful 5"-10" wild trout .

I've heard enough of the other side of this story, and you know what, its a sorry excuse for being "so good" at being a fisher person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SleepsWithFishes View Post
    ah , sometimes I just cant resist, at least on this one, because its a pet peeve.

"barbed treble hooks", how about treble hooks in general,..(lets just speak of trout fishing) .are very bad, and if you really need to be using them on a WTS, you are lame, plain and simple. I mean theres nothing better than ripping the lips off a beautiful 5"-10" wild trout .

I've heard enough of the other side of this story, and you know what, its a sorry excuse for being "so good" at being a fisher person.

Flies tear off lips too not to mention eyes. And how many times have you set the hook in a trouts back or belly by accident? No lure or fly guarantees 100% harmless hooking so enough treble bashing already. This horse has been beaten to death and then some. .

Mark

Fish alone, catch more trout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
    so enough treble bashing already. This horse has been beaten to death and then some. .

Mark
    And it will be beaten into the ground in these forums until it's never even mentioned again.
    Hell,the thread is five years old and now that it's dug up you expect the Fly Fishing community here to not bash treble hooks.
    And especially when you post defending trebles under both your user names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts

how many times have I set the hook in a trouts back, belly, or eye by accident? well Mark S., , NJAngler or what ever aka your going by these days,..to be completely honest,..and its shocking,..(1) time, many years ago I hooked a trout in its eye, (must have liked what it saw)...and it was with a single hook, I was very upset, I knew that beautiful wild brownie was not going to make it...

but I was in a TCA,..I looked around , the near by bridge had a CO watching me,..I yelled (can I keep it, eye hooked..)(he says, if it aint 15", No)(me, well, its gonna die)(him, well, guess the racoons will eat good tonight).=nice,..

yes I have used the trebles long ago, and they destroy the fish , besides making it to easy to "snag" them,..why do you think they are illegal in places in the know?..

ah enough of this, you are right, this poor dead horse has been beaten so badley for so long, I will now take my saddle off and send the dead beast to the dog food factory. In the mean time you keep on sneaking around with your (3) prong death hooks, and be sure to count each #,..

later , on this subject, I shall speak no more of it, I gots to get it together , there be some serious flyfishing to do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by biot View Post
    And it will be beaten into the ground in these forums until it's never even mentioned again.
    Hell,the thread is five years old and now that it's dug up you expect the Fly Fishing community here to not bash treble hooks.
    And especially when you post defending trebles under both your user names.
    Who's defending them? I'm merely "pointing" out facts about both methods. Heck one 11" wild brown today swallowed my beadhead and got it caught in one of its gill rakers. Another two were hooked through the eye socket just missing the eye. A few others had lip damage. I must be doing something wrong though 'cause I know this never, ever happens to anybody else right?

Mark

Fish alone, catch more trout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Who's defending them? I'm merely "pointing" out facts about both methods. Heck one 11" wild brown today swallowed my beadhead and got it caught in one of its gill rakers. Another two were hooked through the eye socket just missing the eye. A few others had lip damage. I must be doing something wrong though 'cause I know this never, ever happens to anybody else right?

Mark
    OK let me put it this way, maybe your not "defending" trebles, but you sure are going out of your way to point out the damage that is done by single hooks.
    I admit that if someone say's (myself included) that they have never damaged a fish with a single hook, they are a f$#*& liar. It happens, but more damage occurs with a treble hook.
    Hell I've had Trout feeding on spent spinners inhale my imitation were I had to cut the tippet (since it was hooked so deeply) so that particular fish mite have a chance of surviving.
    And as far as hooking a fish in the back or belly, it usally happens during Midge fishing and usally it happens to stockies who are stacked up in a large group. This I believe is due to the fact of the flies being so tiny, they are not as easily seen by the Trout and alot of the time the fish runs into the fly.
    I know people who have been doing this (fly fishing) longer than I have and can tell you where in the mouth that fish is hooked just by looking at the way an angler moves his rod while setting the hook.
    So don't complain about the responses on this thread, because the more you respond to it, the more you will probably get bashed on it.

As allway's just begin "BRUTALY" honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

FYI, study results single vs. treble hooks:

Maryland Mortality Study

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

This is a fly fishing site, however, if you want to fish for wild trout with spinners, why not use a single barbless hook? Easy enough and you would do a lot less damage. Save the trebles for some put and take fishery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The mortality study say's it all. And even if it were done on a different river, the result would probably be the same

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Mark
    I'm not doubting you but you seem to take pictures of everything. Let's see them.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyman23 View Post
    This is a fly fishing site, however, if you want to fish for wild trout with spinners, why not use a single barbless hook? Easy enough and you would do a lot less damage. Save the trebles for some put and take fishery.
    I've experimented and although I can catch trout with a single hook, there are far more falloffs and misses - sometimes as high as 50%. Some say "well instead of catching 100 you'll get 50 - its still a great day", well not to me. Its all about being efficient and not leaving the streams thinking "damn, I couldv'e done better".

Dennis - i was going to take a few pics but photos of blood and carnage would make me look sadistic. I may love all those "Saw" movies but I genuinely feel bad when I see trout bleeding and being the one to blame for it.

Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NJAngler View Post
    I've experimented and although I can catch trout with a single hook, there are far more falloffs and misses - sometimes as high as 50%. Some say "well instead of catching 100 you'll get 50 - its still a great day", well not to me. Its all about being efficient and not leaving the streams thinking "damn, I couldv'e done better".

Dennis - i was going to take a few pics but photos of blood and carnage would make me look sadistic. I may love all those "Saw" movies but I genuinely feel bad when I see trout bleeding and being the one to blame for it.

Mark
    With all due respect, Mark, maybe the falloff and misses is with your technique and not the single hook?

Thread Information