Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Upper Delaware River - PA / NY

In today's Times Herald Record:

New law imposes whopper of fee on fishing guides

May 16, 2006

New law imposes whopper of fee on fishing guides

Life as a fishing guide on the Delaware River is tough. Guides have to work with whatever Mother Nature provides. In some years, it's too much water. In others years, not enough.

Guides are at the mercy of Mother Nature, the fish and, most importantly, the customers. And you won't find any millionaires among them, either.

Now, Pennsylvania has added a hurdle. Under a new law, New York guides who work the Delaware River have to pay $400 per year in fees to Pennsylvania. That's on top of fees paid annually to the United States Interior Department and the state of New York.

The Delaware, under the jurisdiction of the National Parks Service, is a boundary water. If you drew a line down the middle of the river along the New York/Pennsylvania border, you'd have the dividing line between the two states.

Both states allow cross-border fishing. If you hold a New York fishing license, you can fish either side of the river. It's an equal-access process that has worked well for many years.

Fishing guides licensed in Pennsylvania will have to pay only $100 per year to work the river. All other Delaware guides will have to pay the $400 fee.

Tony Ritter, a well-known and respected Delaware guide with 12 years on the river, is perplexed.

"Is it fair and equitable to be charging a New York guide that lives across a boundary water four times the yearly fee that is charged to a guide that lives on the other side of the same border river?" Ritter said.

"In essence I would be breaking the law if I had a fishing charter and launched my drift boat in the Upper Delaware River on state of New York land, floated down the river a few miles and then took the boat out on New York land "¦ even if I had a current license from the National Park Service and the NYS DEC."

Ritter is just one of the many local guides who work hard to make a living against the odds. Local fish-and-game clubs, as well as individual anglers, can help the guides voice their opposition to the new fee. Send your letter to: Dr. Douglas J. Austen, Executive Director, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, P.O. Box 67000, Harrisburg, PA 17106.

=============
    [end article]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Let's see....Pennsylvania is imposing a $400 fee to NY Guides who float a common border/ navigable river while imposing a $100 fee to Pennsylvania Guides floating the same water.
    I recall something in Law School about Interstate Commerce and the U.S Constitution and how a State cannot interfere with commerce betwwen states etc. This is not the same as a non-resident license fee imposed on activities within the state. This adversely affects NY Guides who theoretically stay in New York waters. I smell a Federal lawsuit brewing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The two states must get together and agree on a common fee for guides working those waters...and......

Fees should be increased to get most of those LAZY driftboat guides off the river!!!

They never did, and never will belong on upper Delaware waters...they are the MAJOR reason for overcrowding on the entire WB, EB and upper MS.

Yep...there is a feeding fish...drop the anchor no matter who is wading nearby and start flailing the water...

I think it is now time to call ALL driftboat fisherman "fly fishing weenies"......CDun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Man that sucks. Totally not fair. Why note re-regiser in PA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Comparadun,
    You are such a punk !!! Why not say that to my or others face, not from the safety and anonymity of your computer.

The disparity in fees are not truly reflected.
    NY charges $100 for 5 years.
    Pa. charges $2000 for the same 5 years.

Additionally, Pa requires that you put them on your policy as additionally insured with a higher aggregate than the NPS.
    That resulted in an insurance increase of $200.
    So, the math says:
    Ny guides license for 5 years : $100
    Pa guides license for 5 years: $3000

NY requires that you test and stay current with all Red Cross certifications.
    Pa. requires that you sign the check.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

CDUN is at it again

CDUN doesnt care about what they are charging guides. He just wants the river to himself like in the good old days. Someone forgot to tell him it isnt his river....never was and never will be. We should all chip in and buy him a kiddie pool with trout so he can fish by himself without fear of contact with another fisherman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Tony,

Thanks for the post. That does smell like dead fish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

CDUN will be the first to complain if drift boats are banned. His favorite wading parking spots won't have any space left! Let alone spots to wade in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

brachycentrus.....I do!!....driftboats do not belong on these waters.....period.

NJFred....Parking spots have no space left as it is....won't be much different.........

I would applaud the removal of driftboat fishing on these waters...these people would now have to become "real" fly fisherman....most would drop out; these "weenies" would not fish near as much and be at home crying to their mommy............CDun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

CDUN... Plenty of spaces left. I know because I fished more than even you last week.

Plenty of spots from Lordville up to the top of Deposit.. it wasn't a problem. Most boats were on the Main or course. However, I did see some folks floating on Thursday on the WBD. I suppose between the wind and low water you might say they were "Dragging".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Do pontoons count as drift boats? I tried one out on Sunday for the first time and rather liked it.

Trav2xl is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

boats, boats, and more boats.

speaking of "dragging," what if all those driftboats on the Upper Delaware purposely DRAGGED THEIR ANCHOR behind them for 300 yards like one of the 15+ driftboats that passed me one day last week did? Would that be good for the river, or no?

Thread Information