Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking Off To The Show

Hi guys:

Getting ready to leave work and I am off to the show. I hope I see you all there this weekend. Dennis I heard the new arrival requested a Sage fly rod for himself already. Sounds like a chip off the old block, if not, he has good taste in equipment. Every one, miss this show and your going to miss out. Remeber there are lots of things to buy and try. Also don't miss the classes and remember there will be a lot of tyers doing demonstrations. Most of all HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy B

Similar Threads:

Unregistered NEFF Guest

Smile

AndyB,

Great meeting you today at the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild booth. Thanks for showing me those tying tips...I'm definitely going to try that at home. Hopefully, I'll see ya tomorrow at the same location.

Dave :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Not sure why my last post didn't register me, but just wanted to note it's me, DaveR

CYA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Went to the show yesterday and ran into a few familiar faces. Stopped by the DRF and signed up and purchased a nice hat from them. It's a good cause.

Dropped by the Catskill Fly Tiers Guild looking for Andy B., but no luck.

I purchased a new pair of sunglasses, Action Optics... Want my opinion? I'm sorry to say, they don't compare to Revo. The clarity in the Revo's just blow them away. Well, that's for driving, we'll see how well they work on the river, maybe that's another ballgame.

I tried a few rods out too.

I'll start out with the Niemera Bamboo rods. Nice rods, and each one I cast delivered plenty of power. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good feel for it's true casting ability because there was no leader on the end of the fly line. I was supposed to stop back to see him but got a bit carried away in other parts and it was just too late to go back. If you are looking for a bamboo rod, I'd definetely check these out, just make sure there's a leader on the end of the fly line otherwise you won't see what this rod has to offer.

I tried a cheap model Scott rod, 9ft 5wt. The rod goes for 235.00 or so. I cast this rod and thought, WOW... This rod isn't bad at all, as a matter of fact, it's pretty damned good for the price. Then there was a person next to me casting a Sage XP 4wt. I asked him if I could try it out before he left. The Sage XP 4wt is an absolute dream rod. If you have the money and looking for something extra smooth in a 4wt, this is the rod to have.

I went back to sage and tried the 5wt XP, and that's just as good as the 4wt, but with more power. How would I compare this to the Loomis 5wt GLX... Hmmmmmmmmm. My summary would be, 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Either rod is spectacular.

Even better than the Scott... I'll have to admit that I forgot the name, but you'll know exactly what I'm talking about for $160.00 (w/reel)... That's right, for $160.00 you get a rod and a reel. I cast this rod in a 4wt and a 5wt, and I'll have to say that even without the reel, the rod is well worth the $160.00. Actually, if you told me the rod was $250.00 without the reel, it's still worth it. Is it better than the scott? My opinion, YES! I'll get you the name of this thing later.

Finally, the Art Weiler bamboo rods. I tried 3 of his rods and didn't care for any of them. I was supposed to go back and try 1 more, but as I said earlier, time was not on my side.

If I had a choice to be given a free Neimera rod or a free Weiler rod, I think I'd have to choose the Neimera rod, even after casting it without a leader.

One of the nicest bamboo rods I've cast and seen out of the very few that I have actually cast and paid any attention to was the, Tim Zietak rod. This rod has only 4 sides rather than the 6 that most of the other rods I've encountered. It had the best looking finish, and was the smoothest of them all.

Maybe I'll go back today to check out another rod or two? We'll see what happens. All in all, I think last years show was a bit better for me, possibly because I spent some money and this show I hardly spent a dime.

Thread Information