Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

esopus creek

For all you Catskillers out there, an easy question. How is the Esopus for fishing. I've been searching the boards and have read and even seen 1st hand that the river is off color, turbid and low. Obviously, this makes dry fly fishing impossible. But nymphs and streamers could work if the fish are willing.

From the books and magazines, and some mummers on these boards, there are a ton of fish in that river. It doesn't sound like they've been dying b/c of the conditions, just keeping the fishermen out.

Which leads me to my thought, if nobody is fishing this river b/c of the conditions, then the fishing must be even better. Why fight the crowds on the beaverkill if you could have the whole Esopus (and all those 'bows) to yourself.

Anyone been out there this season? Am I way off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've been out there twice this season and caught fish both times, most recently this past Saturday. Caught a native bow and brown stocker both on pheasant tail nymph. Did not see any hatches going on. The water was off color but not as bad as it was all last year. The bad news is when I was driving home on Sunday the water was yoo-hoo color yet again and very turbid. Looks like they had a release from the portal plus I'm not sure how much rain they got because I was staying up in Stamford closer to the Schoharie Creek. Hopefully it doesnt take long for the water to get back to what it looked like on Saturday morning.

len62 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

We've been doing an annual long weekend to the E for 10 yrs now.
    Most of the time we catch stockers (or get skunked).
    The fishing preasure has definately reduced, most of the time we are by ourselves.
    The 04 Flood completely changed the river (blew out good holes, made new ones).
    The color has gotten worse (last year was by far the worst).
    Beside that my buddies and I enjoy the 'Road trip', I don't totally understand why we always come back - I don't like wading 'Blind' in fast moving 'Brown water'.

With that being said, last year, fishing heavily weighted WollyBuggers, in chocolate water, we caught many Large beautiful Bow's and Browns ( I'm talkin 18 - 20 inch FAT fish).
    Still can't figure it - I guess we were rewarded by the 'Big GUY' for fishing in the mud for all these years without complaining.
    P.S. We're heading up the weekend after next...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have to agree with Len on this one.
    I haven't fished the river yet this year but once I finish up with school I'll probably hit up the Esopus. I grew up fishing there a few times each year and it certainly isn't the same river now there are still fish to be caught. Last year I fished it a few times and caught my fair share of wild bows and a fat 19'' brown on an Isonynchia nymph. If you fish streamers and nymphs you will catch fish...it's just a matter of heading out there and dealing with the poor visibility while you wade. It is nice that it keeps people away though.
    -Ryan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

and use a wading staff/ korkers to eliminate slipping on the stream bed.. Some spots you shouldn't have to wade far and probably shouldn't wade far due to the turbulent waters... I took a bath saturday and it was cold.. (yak traxx snapped and rolled up my boot)

Salty Dawg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've fished it a few times this year. The one time I got skunked I didn't check the gauge first and the water was way too high. If you don't mind nymphing, then you can generally do pretty well. I've also found the iso's to be the most productive hatch. If that's what you're looking for, then we've still got a few weeks. In the mean time, the fish are in there... and they gotta eat

Thread Information