Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Drift Boats..really I do

Yesterday, I went up to the Catskills, to wade fish. My mission was to put Dave the Trout on his first Brown, to save the suspence, that did not happen. I usually rent a drift boat, but there were none available. It was a strange day weather wise. It was overcast most of the day, with a constant wind of 15-20. The bugs were trying there best to co-operate, but every time there was a break in the wind, and it looked like it was all going to bust loose, the wind returned and everything went bust. The air temps were inthe low 50's. Never had a spinner fall were I was, and that was that.

Around 12 noon , Dave and I , set up at the Huge pool downstream of the Rt 17 Bridge in Deposit on the West Branch. There was about 12 - 15 people, spread out comfortably from the Top, headed down towards the mens club. I was set up as the last guy downstream.

There were some hendricksons hatching despite the wind, and we had rising fish. I picked up one juvinille brown and lost another. There was a nice fish working a lane in front of me , and I was being patient so I could set up on him. Then came the parade.

In the course of the next hour 7 drift boats, and 2 plontoons started coming down stream. All but one ran the south bank right over every person wadings fishing lane.

The first boat, was a real nice. One of those custom wooden jobs from out west. Must of cost a few bucks. There was a guy and his wife and and older gentleman with them. As pubby pantspubby pantspubby pantspubby pantsed as I was they were running over my fish, I figured Ok 6 more boats and they will be gone and the fish will setle back in to feeding.

WRONG, This guy stopped right between me and the bank, basically on top of my fish. All three of them started flailingthere rods in all directions, and I stood there with my jaw dropped as thye were completley unaware they had just mugged me. Luckily his anchor gave and his boat started slowly spinninging in circles and slowly they drifted away.

The next 5 boats ( one whom was a GUIDE ( who once gave me a rash of sht for a much smaller crime in my earlier drifting days ) continued to cut right across everyones lane, but at least they kept going. One fine fisherman took the time to walk his boat behind the waders ( thank you )

The Grand finale was two guys all decked out in what looked like matching Nasa designed plontoons. These two guys, like the first group stopped right between me and the bank and my rising fish that had just come back.

The only saving grace was that the wind returned, the ploontoon guy threw most of his casts inthe trees as he was parked about 10 feet from the bank.

The remainder of the day we chased the Hatchs downstream to no avail.

I am not against drift boats or plontoons. I know there are unwritten rulesa nd expected curteseys, but I was shocked at the behavoir of the folks I saw yesterday. If any of them happen to read this.... I respectively ask that you learn the rules of the rode and of course with all due respect " BITE ME "

Ralph

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ralph (and the board I guess) ...
    One fine fisherman took the time to walk his boat behind the waders ( thank you )
    Are drift boats a fairly "new" thing on your waters ??

If one angler knew the rules of the water, ... maybe there is hope.

Canoeists had a comeback in popularity on my home waters. First season, ... HORROR! ... After a few well placed notes on windshields, comments to the local news paper (and a few #2 Bombers), ... there are very few incidents now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

I floated (pontoon) from Stylesville to Hale Eddy yesterday. There were a number of other pontoonist and drift boats out and about. I'd say I encountered at least 10 others in total.

From when I took off, a guide for the West Branch Angler (the big guy with the mustache) says to me, "You might want to row over to the right bank because you're not going to get through there." Knowing there was a nice riffle right below, that I wanted to fish, I hugged the left and planned on fishing the riffle. So I responded to him, "Thanks, but I'm going to fish the riffle over here. Then he says, "Ok." and rows his boat directly to where I just told him I was going to fish and had the nerve to say, "Would you mind moving over a bit." I thought to myself, "Yeah, I'll get right on that." He had two woman clients with him so I didn't make much of a fuss about it. Had he just told me he was going to fish there, it wouldn't have been an issue, but he snaked me and that wasn't right.

You can always tell the guys who don't know what the hell they're doing from the guys who are just being rude. I normally say something to the offender then take a picture of them. I'll find a way to humiliate them sometime in the future.

Anyhow, Ralph... You're right about the wind kicking all day long. Combine that with a leaky wader (because I typically use a pontoon to get me from point A to point B) and mildly cold temperature, I was freezing my ass off all day. Aside all of that, I did manage to bring a satisfactory number of trout to my net. Overall, it was a great day.

It would be really nice if they could keep the WB around 600cfs though. Anything lower than that is just not convenient for me and the ship.

P.s... Pubby Pants... Ralph, those are filler words that the site adds in when it picks up certain words. I think I got Pubby Pants from the movie Airplane, and Lesslie Nelson says something about 'Mr. Pubby Pants'. I thought it was funny.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I feel your pain.I was driving through Deposit around 11:30 Friday morning and I also counted 7 driftboats just below the 17 overpass in the no kill,and I think there was 1 or so above,plus a bunch of wading anglers.It looked like the scene from "JAWS" when the town put a bounty on the shark,and all the hopeful ''bounty hunters'' launched their vessels!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Saw and experienced the same #### as well both Saturday and Sunday. It wasn't just the 'tunes and boats though. Most of the wading anglers don't know what the #### they're doing either. What a ###### circus. I ended up moving way downriver on the main stem to get away from all the ###holes. If you're one of the ###holes and you're reading this, then like Ralph said, "bite me!" I can't wait until May's over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

This weekend was definitely a bad weekend to take dave for his first Brown trout.

Cold front moved it saturday afternoon and shut everything down.. I think it got down to about 34-35 degrees saturday night! Beer stayed nice and cold

A Friend bagged a nice tom though in the early a.m.

one brown trout(stockie) caught and watched a nice one follow a spinner(blue fox) twice on my spinning rod later in the day.(yes I bring a spinning rod with me to switch things up a bit if the bite is slow).

Salty Dawg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Don't need a drift boat to be disrespectful. Plenty of wade fishermen get way too close to other wade fishermen.

Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I think they should outlaw the boats in the WB no-kill or better yet the whole WB. You
    can wade and reach the opposite bank with a flyrod practically anywhere on the WB.
    I always thought the boats should be used on a BIG river like the main stem. This
    ain't Montana and the same goes for the guides, if you can't find fish on the WB
    you're blind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've been hiking into the Neversink Gorge this year. No drift boats, whole pools to yourself, and plenty of willing wild browns. You have to work for peace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

With the recent lower flows opening up the entire river, there are bound to be problems.
    Most guides try and respect wading anglers, however, this weekend I saw one direct his client to cast to a working fish right in front of a wader, who, rightfully so, was upset.
    This same guide and I had words downstream when he slid up behind me, then complained about my clients backcast.
    It's tough to navigate when fisherman are spread diagonally through a run, right to left.
    Inevitably, you are going to anger someone no matter how careful and considerate you are.
    After passing behind at least a dozen guys in the gamelands, I had one guy give me crap about interefereing with his backcast. Another one is casting to the open center, so I go river right to go behind him, then he shoots a cast in front of me. Some people will not even try and meet you half way, standing in ankle deep water and refusing to step up to let you by or doing their worst Tony Soprano imitation. If I get out of my boat to go around you, at least smile or say thanks. GEEZ.
    I think a lot of it is just a lack of understanding on the limitations of a boat. I need at least a foot with 2 clients. I am not going to the bank and carrying it !!
    Another problem is new guides on the river. With Pa. requiring a guides license this year, some downriver guides are guiding in NY rather than get their Pa. license.
    Same with all of the new pontoons and rental boats.
    With a water craft comes a responsibility. Just because it opens up some new water, it doesnt mean it's yours if someone may be resting the run.
    I had several garish blue pontoons this weekend racing me and others and then dropping into a run 20 yds. below, or dropping anchor on my fish. If you do that, then you have to accept whatever consequences arise from your ignorance.

I see a lot crap on the river lately not related to boats.
    More people, more litter.
    No one seems to respect no trespassing signs. The railroad tracks last I knew were private property, yet some arent content to park there. I saw two trucks down on the river after accessing the land through the railroad bed. Two guys having lunch, sitting against a post with a no trespassing sign on it.
    Why the hell do you think the place was posted to begin with?
    The bottom line is more users equates to more problems.
    A little understanding will go a long way.
    Just my rant.
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

I guess I'm part of the problem in that I was a client in one of the guided boats that passed you on Saturday and were behind the guy with the wooden boat. We spoke to the wooden boat guy at the ramp and they seemed to be genuinely nice people although a bit inexperienced and you are correct that his boat was beautiful.

Like the other boats, we passed on the far side of the river from the wading anglers but at what I would say was a sufficient distance such that we could not have impeded anyone's fishing and anchored in the tailout of that pool. Where the people were wading, there was no way any of those anglers could have come close to casting to fish at the far bank.

Throughout the day on Saturday and while wading the Gamelands on Sunday we ran into the guys with the decked out blue pontoons. While you may have had a bad experience, they were always courteous and respectful of our space.

In the end, I have to agree with brachycentrus as to more users=more problems and we probably all need to do a better job in being considerate of each others' space. I think we could also try to communicate better with each other on the water in an educational rather than a confrontational manner. I can get that at work.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I was the guy at the tailout, and I backed up when Wood Boat and you came through, I was 50 more feet out, but I backed up when the wood boat was coming straight at me, Point is that I am a Poor caster and I was putting every fly on the bank, your perspective may have been that I was limted where I was standing when you came through.

As pointed out, every body has there own point of view, but common sence, experience or no experience should keep everybody far away from each other.

I am sure everybody was nice, wood boat people, brokeback plontoons ( just kidding ).
    we are all just vying for our turf.

Hope you had a good trip, were you with JH?

Ralph

Thread Information