Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fish Pond Chest Pack

I purchased a Fish Pond Guide Pack, back in March for 89.00, used it twice and am more comfortable with a vest. I'm looking to get 60.00 for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

FP; I wore an Orvis vest for years till a few years ago I was fishing the Yellow Breaches in PA during a hot summer day. I went into the Orvis shop and bought a chest pack to aid in heat reduction. It did take a while for me to get use to carrying a small amount of equipment, and figuired it would last till the fall when I would go back to my Tac-L vest (with lots of pockets to carry everything in). Well I haven't worn a vest since, and last year I went to a Richardson chest pack and even during the winter I will not go without it.

What I am trying to say is that you might want to reconsider and give the chest or lumbar pack that you already have a chance. You might like it once you get use to it. Cool and light weight in the summer.

Anyway, just my point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Pimp
    I purchased a Fish Pond Guide Pack, back in March for 89.00, used it twice and am more comfortable with a vest. I'm looking to get 60.00 for it.
    I came to the same conclusions and sold mine earlier this year. I think it went for around $70.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Lad's what didn't ( ) you like about that product if I may ask?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

huh

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim
    FP; I wore an Orvis vest for years till a few years ago I was fishing the Yellow Breaches in PA during a hot summer day. I went into the Orvis shop and bought a chest pack to aid in heat reduction. It did take a while for me to get use to carrying a small amount of equipment, and figuired it would last till the fall when I would go back to my Tac-L vest (with lots of pockets to carry everything in). Well I haven't worn a vest since, and last year I went to a Richardson chest pack and even during the winter I will not go without it.

What I am trying to say is that you might want to reconsider and give the chest or lumbar pack that you already have a chance. You might like it once you get use to it. Cool and light weight in the summer.

Anyway, just my point of view.

Lad if you don’t mind me asking what model Richardson do you have? I ended up purchasing on back in 97 I am happy with it but occasionally switch between my vest and Fish Pond pack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Richardson Chest Fly Box

Lad, I purchased the Joe Humphreys model. Smaller than the original design I assume you have.

I enjoy the removable foam inserts, I purchased a dozen extra so I am able to set up for a trip, or various streams at one time (or for an entire season for that matter) and have the flies all set to go. So this time of year I may go to the salmon River, I have my steelhead patterns already, Tobyhanna or Latort Spring, I am all set with the fly patterns I believe I may need.

The same could be accomplished with a number of fly boxes stuffed into a vest. At this juncture I am pleased with my set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Lad's what didn't ( ) you like about that product if I may ask?
    I bought it primarily for landlocked salmon fising, which for me means streamers 99.995% of the time.

It found it hung up in the brush, which if you've ever fished in western Maine you know they don't call it "puckerbrush" for nothing. It interferred with the rod butt when stripping line (worn as a waist pack) and when worn on my chest it interferred with my arm motion.

Also, I did not like the weight of the net hanging on the neck strap; my vest distributes the weight across my shoulders. I also like to reposition my net to my side when fishing, on my back when moving. The pack did not let me do that.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

TW:

What type of Richardson do you own? seeing how you have had yours (for BJM your's) a bit longer that I, what are the draw backs you have uncovered?

One that I changed straight up was the harness. I removed my Orvis harness from their chest pack and modified it to fit the Richardson.

If anyone else uses a Richardson, I would like to hear from you lads out there. My interest is peaking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I tried a 5 drawer Richardson (original design) in the 1970s.

I basically had the same problems as Scott. Worn as a chest pack, it was always in the way. It even got in the way when I was tying on a fly.

Only tried to use it twice. Both times I went back to the car for a vest within 30 minutes.

It's a nice box, but it's not for me.
    I use it as portable storage for spare flys & tippet material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thank you Pete for your comments.

I have been thinking back to when I first started using a chest pack and what problems I had encounted with it. Having something sticking out in front of you like a chest pack does take a little bit of getting use to.

Now that I have gotten use to it, I can't get away from it. I was away a couple of weeks ago to stream I haven't been to before and as a back up I brought along my vest. This weekend I am off to a few streams in PA, and I will drag it along also, but the chances of me using it are still nil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fish Pond Chest Pack

GUYS THE CHEST PACK I OWN IS NOTHING LIKE THE RICHARDSON PACK. THIS IS A CHEST PACK THAT CAN ALSO BE WORN AS A FANNY PACK. BUILT WELL, BUT I'VE BEEN FISHING FOR 50 YEARS AND CAN'T GET PAST THE BEAT UP OLD VEST. ALTHOUGH I JUST BOUGHT A FILSON VEST, TWO STRAPS, TWO ZIPPERED POCKETS, A SMALL POUCH IN THE BACK FOR A SANDWICH OR TWO. IT CERTAINLY NOT YOUR TYPICAL VEST. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE, BUT THE FISH POND PACK IS STILL FOR SALE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

streetlight

TW:

What type of Richardson do you own? seeing how you have had yours (for BJM your's) a bit longer that I, what are the draw backs you have uncovered?

One that I changed straight up was the harness. I removed my Orvis harness from their chest pack and modified it to fit the Richardson.

If anyone else uses a Richardson, I would like to hear from you lads out there. My interest is peaking.
    AKSKIM

I have the Joe Humphrey model and like but am not wild about it. It has the tippet spool on the last tray, which I use as an ashtray basically. I have found the Umpua tippet fits in it but not much else and I never fish Umpuah tippet. So that is basically a waste of a tray. The first tray closest to my chest has the leader pocket and a removable foam tray. I have found that when I open the tray it catches on the latch of the foam insert. I think that if I have them reconfigure it and replace the tippet dispenser with compartments and replace the first tray have removable foam inserts I would be much happier with it.

I also had problems with the harness so I ordered the Amish leather harness. I used to have side pockets but the leather wore through the stitching on the pockets.

One other issue I have with the Richardson is that it gets in the way when taking turns rowing a drift boat.

Just my two cents

Thread Information