Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

SLR carrying advice

I know some you out there are carrying slr type cameras with you on the stream. How are you carrying them and what kind of case are using?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Jason, in the past I would double bag the camera in zip lock bags and keep in the highest spot. This works well but you must use two bags and religously close them after use. I would also take them out of the bags at night to make sure they air out.

I only did this as I could not find a small enough "dry bag", the ones they use in boats to keep clothes and other gear dry, to fit the camera. In the last year or so, a number of the usual catelogues have started to carry small ones specifically for cameras. I intend to buy one.

I will tell you that you will eventually deep wade or slip and fall in and get that camera wet unless it is protected in some form or fashion.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

I wear it aroung the neck with the strap. For me its the only way. For me if it's in a bag it's a huge production to get the camera out ect. Around the neck allows for a quick couple of pics and a quick release. I just hope that when i take my first flyer with it on i can keep the camera from submerging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool SLRs vs Digital

I just got a Pentax WPi ( waterproof, improved ) 6 megapixels for $201 for fishing and landscape pictures from prestigecameras.com

Check out these links for digitals:

http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.dcviews.com/
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...bsection=optio
    http://www.prestigecamera.com/result...nuf~Pentax.htm

OOPS, I just checked and they're up to $216 this week at prestige.
    Also shop the net for another dealer that may have a good price.

Pentax has the WP ( 5 Mp ) - look around, you may STILL be able to find one chaep
    and a new Waterproof - I think it's the W10

I also have a Canon S50 ( 5 Mp ) that while small ( and NOT waterproof ), dwarfs the new Pentax - the new one is about half as big as the Canon.

Why bother with an SLR, UNLESS you absolutely need it.
    They're way too heavy, cumbersome and NOT too happy with a dunking.

The_Sib

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the info. I am actually stepping up to an slr after being dissatisfied with blurring pictures on any shots that included movement. I do not think the shutter speeds are fast enough on the regular cameras. I am moving up from a nikon coolpix 4500.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I use a Nikon D70 and love it - have had magazines publish my photos. I wear it around my neck and tuck it in my shirt so it is somewhat protected and I can bend forward without it swinging free. I've been looking for some kind of chest strap system for it but have yet to find one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I use the Simms Dry Creek Roll Top Lumbar Pack to carry my D70. I also use the Simms Dry Creek Camera Bag for holding any filters, memory cards or little accessories that I take with. The little camera bag slips onto the belt for the roll top duffel so they can be carried together. This works well for me because it's around my waist and my fishing gear is in my chest pack. I wear the bag in the back while fishing and spin it around and unroll it to grab the camera out when I need it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

If you're on the water DO NOT use anything expensive and dear to you. Take it from me.

On an outing in KLG last month I slipped in a foot-and-a-half of water and dunked myself almost completely. Caught me completely by surprise. Almost broke my leg actually. And almost lost my Sage rod. I had my new digital Canon 20D SLR ($1100) with me but not on me (it was safely in my SUV). My plan that day was to fish for a bit then get the camera from the car and take some shots on the water with my macro lens. Good thing I never did take it out of the car. That fall would have cost me close to $1700 in total camera equipment (memory, battery, lens, vertical grip). I'd still be kicking myself right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I am also getting the a canon 20d with the 17-85 IS lens. I will still be taking it with me on the stream though. Too many oppurtunities missed leaving the camera in the car. I will probably be looking at the Simms bag though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

On the stream pics

My take on fish pics is as follows:
    1. I have my small canon (3 Mega pixels) tied to my vest. If there is one thing that I have learned, its that if its not tied to me, sooner or later it will be in the river.
    2. Since I stand to lose $400 when I finally take a major dip, I am much more careful in my wading habits, and have only fallen once since I began carrying the camera four years ago. And that was only a front fall that wet the camera enough that it shut itself down (Short circuit?) but when the camera dried out, it is working perfectly again.
    3. I never bring the fish out of the water for the picture....I hold the camera in my left hand, bring the fish upstream with my right (rod) hand, and "coax" the fish's head out of the water at just the right time. It takes some practice, but I feel it reduces the strain on the fish.
    OM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I buy a waterproof fuji disposable camera and it works fantastic.. I have yet to take an underwater shot but plan on it this season. THey run about $10 and I really enjoy the quality and colors from fuji film.

Kodak also sells a waterproof camera but I didn't have alot of luck catching fish while it was in my posession

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Persona estúpida

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman202
    I buy a waterproof fuji disposable camera and it works fantastic.. I have yet to take an underwater shot but plan on it this season. THey run about $10 and I really enjoy the quality and colors from fuji film.

Kodak also sells a waterproof camera but I didn't have alot of luck catching fish while it was in my posession
    Lad's I tend to agree with Fireman here. I have never fallen in a stream to date. I have slipped while getting to them, but never in a stream. I have an expensive Canon digital and will only use it from the banks and never while in the river fishing, why? Because it goes against all common sence. I carry a disposable camera all the time, small, simple to focus (automatic) fits in the top pocket of my vest or in a jacket pocket during cold weather fishing. Some days you just have to use that hat rack.

Thread Information