Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thumbs up Mayflies

I purchased a new book today called Mayflies written by Robert Cormier and Malcom Knopp.I have to say it is the most comprehensive book on mayflys I have ever read(well not the whole book yet).Yes Even more than HATCHES 11! They have actaully reclassified and renamed many genus,species and even families of mayflys; and in a sense it is like a hatches 3 wrtiiten by someone else.

But to the more important stuff.They really go into great detail as to the hatching charectersitics of each species and how to fish each one.They also cover in great detail three parts of emergence before the dun satge and how to fish them with patterns included.Yes THREE emerger patterns before the dun.

For all you match the hatch guys this is a must in your library!It is cutting edge,new research,new techniques, and the forward is by the late Gary Lafonatine.

I bought the book because the gentleman Pete who sold it to me,proved me wrong on a few names of certain genus and species, and used this book to demonstrate it to me.I realized as I was driving home that just when I thought I knew most of the "bug stuff" its time for me to hit the books again!

I also made a new friend and probable fishing buddy.Pete is an "old timer"who grew up fishing in the catkills with some pretty
    famous people, like Darby,Debruce,Art Lee,and dette's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree - Excellent Resource

Bought an autographed copy back in '97 when the book was first published. Excellent treatment of the subject for the fly fisherman. As Gary LaFontaine says in his introduction to the book, " The anglers who read and study this book now are going to be better, more effective fly fisherman when they hit their favorite streams this next season." Thanks for letting everyone on the board know about this excellent resource.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Mayflies

Originally posted by JOE.T
    I purchased a new book today called Mayflies written by Robert Cormier and Malcom Knopp.I have to say it is the most comprehensive book on mayflys I have ever read(well not the whole book yet).Yes Even more than HATCHES 11! They have actaully reclassified and renamed many genus,species and even families of mayflys; and in a sense it is like a hatches 3 wrtiiten by someone else.

But to the more important stuff.They really go into great detail as to the hatching charectersitics of each species and how to fish each one.They also cover in great detail three parts of emergence before the dun satge and how to fish them with patterns included.Yes THREE emerger patterns before the dun.

For all you match the hatch guys this is a must in your library!It is cutting edge,new research,new techniques, and the forward is by the late Gary Lafonatine.

I bought the book because the gentleman Pete who sold it to me,proved me wrong on a few names of certain genus and species, and used this book to demonstrate it to me.I realized as I was driving home that just when I thought I knew most of the "bug stuff" its time for me to hit the books again!

I also made a new friend and probable fishing buddy.Pete is an "old timer"who grew up fishing in the catkills with some pretty
    famous people, like Darby,Debruce,Art Lee,and dette's.
    Maybe this book should be called, "The Book Al Caucci Doesn't want you to see." . I think Al is about due to release something by now, it's been a long time. I'm going to search for this book on E-bay after Christmas. 1 thing though, does it have color pictures? I like to see good quality color photographs (since I can't read)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dennis, there are some photos which are great but not many.I have almost read the whole book and still say that anyone who studies entomology on an amateur level or is a serious match the hatch angler should have this book in there library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I too am going to seek this book out! I'm particularly intrigued by the several stages of an emerging mayfly and their imitation. If you have ever looked at photo's you'll see dramatically differant profiles of the stages of a mayfly hatching. They indeed would need very different imitations. I've also been in enough situations where even the best emerger patterns fail. It would appear that the fish are actually keyed in a particular emerger stage. This book sounds like it might help.

Thread Information