Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Esopus

Great feedback from all -I to used to fish it often & was my favortie in the Area--I have released some very large Bows & Browns there.In resent years I also have only fished above the portal except for once 2 years ago --& I released the largest I've ever in the Catskills
    Yes it is sad, such a great river & fishery -I hear ya on Tu --but don't see much happening -seems they still put most of ther efforts in montana & other points west .It's a damn shame!!!!There are so many orginization & clubs & F.Shops with in a 20 mile radius of the Espopus & some of them carry a LOT of clout--yet the distruction still goes on!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Wise-Man
    I heard a rumor that the portal will be closed this summer. They said that the reservoir is down 90' to 15%. Any truth to this?
    I saw that post you're refering to. It also said it's being drained for the dredging. The only truth is the 15% part. There's lots of speculation which is to be expected.

The NYCDEP response to safety concerns is " increased diversions through the Shandaken Tunnel into Esopus Creek". The intake tunnel is the only way to get water out and keep the level down. If they close the Portal the reservoir starts to refill.

It's not down 90'. It's only down 50' right now. The spillway elevation is 1130' and it's at 1080' today. This photo was taken at 1082'. The cut in the spillway on the far end lowers the spill level to 1124.5', if it ever got that high from flooding.

The planned dredging of silt at the intake tunnel, which is a couple miles up from the dam, has nothing to do with the safety of dam. That's going to be done from floating barges when they get a chance. The reservoir does not have to be drained for that. The main concern right now is getting the water out and keeping it out by running the Portal, taking pressure off the dam, and installing dozens of dam anchors, which will take until November. Then they gotta rebuild the whole dam by 2010!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Mark, you posted:

"The planned dredging of silt at the intake tunnel, which is a couple miles up from the dam, has nothing to do with the safety of dam. That's going to be done from floating barges when they get a chance."

Do you have any idea what "when they get a chance" means? I thought the courts ruled that they were supposed to do that years ago. I believe the silt around the intake is the reason the portal runs so dirty, and thus the Esopus. I haven't heard anything about the DEP starting this project.

Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The dredging at the intake tunnel was first scheduled for October 2005, but nothing happened. Now they say October 2006. "It is anticipated that the proposed dredging project would be completed within a three to six week period between October 15 and December 31, 2006."

With the other much more serious problems up there, it seems like this is one of those when I get around to it type projects.

The plan is to remove 5,000 cubic yards of sediment and transport it in water tight trucks and dispose of it on city owned land right below the dam. It's gonna be so close to the dam it seems like it would be in the way of the dam reconstruction.

I live in the suburbs of NYC in north eastern N.J.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

the esopus what a shame

I have a camper on the Esopus Creek, and did not fish it once last year. Red YooHoo. The kids dont even want to tube in it.I guess we can all just hope that the stream gets cleaned up after the dam repairs. However after reading about the possible development of the Bellayre Mt./Highmount area that will be the end to all. Just the run off from the pesticides from the golf courses will destroy the fishing.
    Has there been any updates to this issue?

Thread Information