Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: What type of vise do you use? (Multiple choices allowed)

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Renzetti

31 30.10%
  • Dyna-King

17 16.50%
  • Regal

23 22.33%
  • Nor-Vise

4 3.88%
  • D.H. Thompson

17 16.50%
  • Dan Vise

7 6.80%
  • Griffins

9 8.74%
  • Clamp type

14 13.59%
  • Base type

16 15.53%
  • Other

17 16.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post With Regards to Andy B's Post on Vises

Hello Everyone:

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Now that I am back from my favorite Turkey Abyss, I thought it might be cool to find out what type of vises you guys tye on. Also, are there any plans to possibly upgrade to a newer vise. For me I started out on a Thompson's model A vise and like it very much. The only trouble is I did not like the clamp so one Xmas Mrs Santa got an Idea on her own and bought me a Thompson Pro II vise with a base. Learned to tye on this vise and tyed on it for 10 years. I still use this vise in Hotels and on streamside. I finally wanted to upgrade mainly due to wanting something new and different. I bought the Thompson 360 SLT and after a year of working with this vise had enough. Constant adjustmants always had to be made. The hook holding power after a few fly's would lesson and the hook would move. After seeing BestBugs Renzetti I thought nice vise but really how good. So this time I went shopping and tried out a numerous amount of vises. I finally bought the Renzetti 4000 Presentation vise with cam locking jaws and a saltwater base. I love this vise and would'nt give it up for nothing. The one thing I still practice and preach. It's not the vise that makes the fly tyer but the person and materials. I love the rotary function and it has improved my speed and has given me the ability to view my fly at different angles. Just keep in mind, that I can still tye fly's on my old Thompson vise and they come out just as pretty. Just some food for thought. So, let's here your stories.

Andy B
    What brand of vise do you use, and why?

I use the Nor Vise. I'll have to admit that I like gadgets. When I saw Norm tying on this thing, I was amazed at how easy he made everything look. After working with this vise for almost a year now, I'll have to say that I wouldn't settle for anything less. It's a bit pricey and doesn't look as pretty as some of the other vises available, but I'll tell yah, it's quite functional. It's a True Rotary vice. Others claim to be true rotary, but this one is TRUE rotary.

Ok, you want the downfalls on it? Here they are... You've got to fasten your hook into the clamp via two knobs. I'd prefer if this was a more simple task. Well, I'm used to it now. My other only gripe is that I purchased the Midge Jaws for it and it's sad to say, they're a bit clunky. I think they were an extra 70bux or so, and I don't use them. Maybe I'll put them on E-bay. It's not very modular either. As a matter of fact, if I want to take it with me, I'll have to take my entire setup because of the way it's bolted down. Yes, bolted!

I do have a Dan Vise too. The rotary doesn't compare to to the Nor-Vise though, so I don't like to use it. My Dan-Vice is probably an excellent vice for traveling because it's got a clamp attached to it which makes moving it around fairly easy.

What I think I'm going to purchase is a real traveling vice in the near future, then I'll have something to take with me on my road trips.

Last but not least, one of the plus's of my Nor-Vice is that it came with this retractable bobin. I don't know how anyone ties without these things. Even if you don't care for the Nor-Vice itself, you should invest in a few of these. They're not cheap though, I believe it's $35.00 for a bobin and a few extra spools.

Here's the vice with the standard fly holder:

And here it is with the Midge fly holder. To change from standard to midge or the other way around, it takes about 10 seconds. It's no task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: With Regards to Andy B's Post on Vises

Dennis:

This is the cool part about vises. It's like car shopping, you test drive and finally find the one that fits your needs and makes you feel comfortable tying on it. For me Since taking up Salmon flies as well I upgraded to the Renzetti Master vise. I feel the vise was well worth the money and I am very pleased with my decision. I was previously tying on a Renzetti presentation 4000 with cam jaws. Before I bought this vise I did go and look at the Dynaking Baracuda and Baracuda Jr, Regal and the Mongoose. I felt very comfortable with the Renzetti and liked the minimal adjustments needed and most important liked the room for my hands to aid in tying and gripping the hook. I did look at the vise you have, it just was'nt for me. Any way good post and will hopefully see you at one of the shows.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I like the nice simple HMH Spartan vise.

I used a Thompson A vise knock-off for 30 years. When it fell apart, a got the HMH Spartan on a whim, and I like it. Love a base after fooling with clamps for decades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I think some of the nor-vise issues have been addressed by Norm since that was originally posted or purchased. I want to hear from regal users. They look so simple and clean. I'm very curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by rckrego View Post
    I want to hear from regal users. They look so simple and clean. I'm very curious.
    I have the Regal with stainless steel jaws and the bent handle.

Don Bastion is pimpin' Regals at the shows and on his videos so I bought one. It's anvil heavy (7.8 lbs). Stable. Quick hook change. No fussy adjustments. The head rotates but it ain't a "rotary" vise. It just stays in whatever position that you leave it in.

Gotta say, that I like it. The Renzetti stays in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Do you think the stainless steel jaws are worth the extra cash?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by rckrego View Post
    Do you think the stainless steel jaws are worth the extra cash?
    I've tied on both kinds. The SS jaws are a little smaller and have a finer taper than the blunt nose iron jaws on the standard Regal. Both work well, but I was spooked by hearsay that the cast iron jaws are more brittle. I never had a problem.

The pointier SS jaws allow the better access to the hook because there is less metal in your immediate tying zone. When placing material on the hook, I stabilize my left hand on the flat part of the clamp with the Regal medallion. A steady unmoving hand helps with pinch wraps when setting tails and wings where the position of the material is critical.

Let me say that I'm a intermediate level fly dresser who ties only occasionally. Speed of production is not my first concern. The pro's may have other issues that influence their priorities for features on a vise.

Bottom line -- I bought the SS jaws for peace of mind and as a side benefit they seem a little easier to work with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

D.H. Thompson - Because it has worked well for so many years sizes 8-28.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The Regal vise would have been my choice of vise to buy if I only tied just trout flies. I like the ease of use. A good bit of open area for your hands to work in. Quality and a good heavy base. The main reason I did not consider this vise after truly looking at it was the following. I tie wet flies, Bass Bugs, Salt Water and finally Salmon flies. I did not want to buy and change jaws to get it to fit flies from size 24 to size 8/0 hooks. The last reason is a very small part is the material spring on the top. Like I previously said a vise needs to fit the flies you tie and make you feel comfortable with it. Lastly for a small part it's looks. I truly endorse Regal and feel they have a good product. I also feel HMH is a damb good vise for the Money. One post mentioned thompson. I still have my model A and it's a shame the company is not around. Thompson set the bench mark for vises when they first came out. Any way guys, shop around for a vise and test drive them. The brand I love you may hate and so on. The bottom line is to enjoy tying. In closing I will leave you with this thought. You know your vise is right for you when you sit down to tie and NEVER ever think about the vise at all. When you are consumed in tying flies time after time and never ever think about the vise, then you have the right model for you.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had a HMH Standard since 1982 with a 5# brass base and wouldn't trade it for anything. It works for me, but that's the great thing about our passion, you find something that works for you, and that's all that matters. There are no rules....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Griffin Odyssey Spider- love this vise, holds those big saltwater hooks all the way down to the tiny size 28's rock sold. Great vice for a greater price.

Tight-Lines
    Rick

Tight-Lines
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Regal. Simplicity, strong and it will tie streamers, dries and everything else in between.

Thread Information