Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

largemouth bass fishing

Hi,

Anybody fish for largemouths with a fly?

Meery Xmas,

Jim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've done it for many years. lots of topwater spun deer hair flies. Quite often during the summer when waters are much too warm for trout fishing, I'll head off to some of the lakes and ponds at night. Years ago I had permission to fish one of the boy scout camp lakes in N Jersey. It held some really nice fish. I also have permission to fish some of the local golf course ponds in N Jersey but did not take advantage of that last year.

What I have not done is fished anything larger than a few acrea in size. Mostly smaller lakes and ponds, fishing the weeds.

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

yes jim, it is how i've introduced some of my friends kids(boys and girls) to fly fishing. there is nothing like seeing a kids face light up when a bass knocks the snot out of a popper! mostly small farm ponds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Yeah, I do, just not always with a fly rod.

Lots of times I actually tie a trailer on with a jig, a top secret flypattern of mine which works pretty good - It looks sort of like a big ass maribou wooley bugger with a long saddle tail, any color you want as long as it's black.

Seriously though for fly gear one thing that works good for bedding bass is a grey ghost in a size 6 or 8. I fish it with a short (3-4') leader using 10 or 14 lb test flurocarbon line on a sink tip line. Use a full sink or a fast sink tip for smallies, the beds tend to be deeper.

The other flies I posted in another bass post - the Gulley work & craw, work good too with the same leader/ line combo.

All said and done though, I love power fishing & chucking hardware for bass. It's won me a buck or two as well, which fly fishing hasn't done for me, and I hope never does.

I love fishing bass tournaments, but I fly fish just for me.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Highlands Ranch, Co, formerly South Orange, NJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I started fly fishing for LM last summer as an alternative to trout in the summer. I fly fished so far Cranberry Lake, Aeroflex, Roun Valley and Little Swartswood. As I go out there with my float tube, I prefer lakes without boats with outborder. Haven't gotten the hang of it yet, typically I switched after a couple of hours not hooking up with bass to panfish and crappies. I also want to try this spring fly fishing for pike again (Spruce Run). As I said, I still have to figure it out - it is certainly different from trout!

If anyone has any pointers, tips, questions or invites to go fishing, let me know!

Live long and fly fish
    Visit my blog Tenkara On The Fly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Rond Valley

Over the summer I go to Round Valley for bass. If you have a boat go near the grass and weeds, on the far side of the lake and cast to the edge of them. I use a 7 wt. with a olive wolley bugger and I strip it near the edge. You get some nice bass that come out for it. Also in the spring a popper works great.
    If you want to go deep, your going to need sinking line, I dont have one, yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    331 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Karel:
    If outboards give you a problem, try the smaller ponds and lakes, where a motorboat is impractical (or even prohibited). Just about every pond in NJ that doesn't freeze solid in winter or dry up in summer, contains largemouths, including a few "lunkers".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Unfortunately I do not own a boat, just a float tube. I guess it's a bad idea to cross RV just with finns on my feet, paddling backwards... but thanks for the tip! Maybe I should just hike around the lake to get there. Tight lines!

Live long and fly fish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

During the week it is not as bad, and on the weekends I do try the smaller lakes and ponds which prohibit outborders. There is a webpage - http://njbassanglers.com/places.php - with a list of NJ lakes with regulations, fish present and quality of fish present. I used that quiet a bit last year when I was about to fly fish for bass. I also tried to find out more about fly fishing for bass on that web-sites community, however, they are almost all bait/spin-fisher man. Tight lines!

Live long and fly fish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Here's a good small lake/pond to flyfish with a float tube: White Lake. It's near Blairstown, towards Swartswood Lake. Bass and trout in there, I friend of mine was chucking spinners for trout from his kayak up there and was hooking up with respectable LMB. I will make no guarantees, but it might be worth a try.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Scott,
    thanks for the pointer! I will certainly put White Lake on my list "to fish" this year. Will keep you (and the thread) posted how I have done!

Live long and fly fish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Bass Fishing Nj

I have Warmwater Fly Fished about 100 times in 2005. I often target bass and it is a blast. Many of my trout buddies live in PA and only target trout...oh well more LMB for me! HAHHAHHHAHAHHHahah

One problem I do have with some Bass Fishing sites ( one is actually mentioned earlier in this thread) is the super specific information they give. Such as: location of lake (name/address) and telling where in the lake they caught the fish. I think this needs to be more broad of a description in order to reduce the pressure on the fish. Plus as far as I know there are not many conservation oriented groups towards warmwater.....for trout you have TU just for starters and then there are so many little organizations that are coldwater oriented.. The bass fishing seems to more focus on Tournaments, Photos, and giving location info so exact that I can plan trips off of it. I am not really sure what your thoughts on this are, but I thought I would throw this out there.

I believe warmwater fly fishing is just beginning to pick up steam and will eventually become much more popular. PEACE !

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information