Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holiday report?

Anyone have any news from the beach the last couple days? Probably hitting Sandy Hook early Saturday depending on the weather, just wondering what the conditions are like and how the fish are biting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

mike, wait til sun. conditions are brutal when it is this cold in the morning. remember your stripping hand is wet constantly. the water temp. has fallen 7 deg. in 72 hrs. from 52 to 45. this means the rest of the bait will vacate quickly. other web sites still reportinh catches, but nothing spectacular. i will be there sun. in a boat for the last time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

hey guys went out this morning wind blowing 15 to 20 air temp around 25 colder then cold. but fishing was great. we boated lots of fish thanks to captain al of a2z fish out of baregat for putting us right on the fish thanks to his great boat control. caught fish up to 30 inches i think mike will post the pics of some bass soon. so it not to cold yet get em when hot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Worst Conditions yet=our best day yet. We fished structure and rips. Captain Al crept us up close because of the wind. I was getting them on medium olive clousers with a small mush mouth as a teaser. Twitched em on the drop and that got me most of my fish. Erratic retrieve or fast worked best. Slow was the key the last couple of weeks. Blue you were right about the bunker being gone. We each kept one for the table, and they were loaded with little tan sand eels and really random stuff. Striper is yummy. Al is pulling the boat and that kills me a little. Now I have to fish from the shore and that means lots of driving and less good fishing. Will post the pics when I find where my wife hid the chord to my camera!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

guys, the season is far from over. one more time in the boat tomorrow and the boats will be pulled from the water. i told you this was addicting. the birds screaming, the smell of bait getting chopped up, and those fish are some kind of pull when the water chills off. yes, stripers are YUMMY! i think now you are offically stripaholics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

What a day.... Fished wioth Pointseastcharters.com again yesterday,(saturday) and had an absolute blast. Left Manasquan at 6:30, temp was in the low 20's but NO wind and FLAT seas. Headed south to the Lavalette water tower and the place was LIT. Acres of birds on acres of bass. Most fish were in the slot range but we did see some fish blow up on bait, well over 20lbs. The fish were in the 40" range.

Sandeels were everywhere! THis lasted about 2 hours before we decided to beat the other boats and head further south. Just off the beach in seaside, fish everywhere. Headed a bit further south off the beach in IBSP and started working the sandbars along the beach. Just outside the breakers, casting into the wash, then stripping through the currents, we picked up fish cast after cast. Between us and our friends in the boat behind us, one sand bar current drift, boated us over 15 bass.

For those who keep stripers, remember the size limits in NJ. 2 fish only, 1 fish between 24 and 28" and one fish over 34" 28 to 34" is no mans land.

I took about 30 minutes of video yesterday and working on the edit right now. theres an unedited small clip (about 12 seconds) for those who were never in the middle of a classic late fall blitz with birds leading the direction in the photo post page, ( you should see it on the top of this page under lasted uploads) I will edit about a 30 second clip of a few landed fish, birds, the 100's of boats in the water and I do have a clip of a big striper hitting the surface. All fish boated, were released, as were almost all from what we saw.

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

larry, good to see you got into them big time! wish i was there. i had the exact opposite experience today. fished in a schupps rocket. weather was perfect, not a hint of a breeze, sun, little chilly. thats the good part. you would of thought it was the dead sea. with the good coniditions even got around the hook onto flynn's and glassed the whole area and nothing. no birds no boats no nothing. that's when i knew i was in trouble. herd of boats went by in the am and none were there. probably where larry was yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Won't get a chance to get out until Tuesday morning, fishing from the beach, where would you guys recommend for the best action? Sandy Hook is my old standby, but I'm willing to go just about anywhere for fish. I was thinking to do Sandy Hook first and work my way south. I'm hearing Sand Eels, so I'm going to tie up some Brown/White Surf Candies to go along with the usual Clousers and Decievers I fish. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post up later this week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

from what i read on other message boards, head south!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Mike,
    Head to Lavalette area, dont even stop at the hook. From there, look for birds. Try Herring (sp) Avenue, then go south towards seaside piers. From there, head into IBSP and park in the first general parking area. Hit the beach and work the outflows from the beach if you dont see anything.

For flies,...Forget about surfcandies. You need to tie up some jiggies and sandeels in Olive. Olive/Olive. I tie a sandeel using about a 5 inch zonker strip on the top and bottom of the hook. Body is mylar tubing, wrapped with mono tying material and then a quick coat of 30 second epoxy, followed by 30 minute to smooth it out. You can disregard the epoxy if you wrap over the body mylar tubing enough.

Unless you get a report about fish at the hook, head south. Be on the water before sunrise and just look for birds.

Dont hesitate bringing a few herring patterns with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ridolfino
    Won't get a chance to get out until Tuesday morning, fishing from the beach, where would you guys recommend for the best action? Sandy Hook is my old standby, but I'm willing to go just about anywhere for fish. I was thinking to do Sandy Hook first and work my way south. I'm hearing Sand Eels, so I'm going to tie up some Brown/White Surf Candies to go along with the usual Clousers and Decievers I fish. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post up later this week!

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

yes, go south....

tnx as always for the reports FT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Go south - the Hook, Long Branch stretch was dead this weekend. The farthest north I heard any reports at all was Spring Lake.

Thread Information