Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fly Swap

Just thought I'd let everyone know that all flies have been shipped out this morning. Well, almost all of them. Sqerl's were shipped out on Friday.

I told my father about the fly shop, and he told me he wants in on the next one. Also, A few more people people posted on NJTrout that they would also like to join in on the next swap.

So, let's talk about the next swap! Are all of you worn out? I actually enjoyed this swap more than I thought. It got me tying more fly's than needed, and I think I got much better too.

This was a great idea. Thanks Everyone.

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Count me in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

w00t!

he he he.. look forward to my return shipment! maybe they'll be in the mailbox when I get home!! I'll have a better chance of white water rafting than fishing at current stream levels though...

thanks for all your work dennis!!

maybe another fly swap for spring??

I'll practice and develop the "Hatchery Truck Chaser" for the next one

sqerl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Talking Im In

Dennis:

How about a fly swap that should have an end date of either December or January. Thought these end dates might be good due to the up coming Holiday season. Count me in. I'll tye up some comparaduns and a marabou black ghost streamers. The black Ghost's are very pretty pieces of eye candy that work well in the spring on NJ streams.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am in,lets shoot for the end of december as andy suggested?I will tie the freastatacapitulator fly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

The end of December sounds great. I was on some other board, I'm sorry to say that I don't recall which one, but they have these swaps going on all the time.

Is this something you guys would be interested in? I don't think I would get tired of it, especially if we had a few new guys join in on the fun sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Lightbulb Fly SWAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis:

I think the next upcoming fly swap is good providing people want to join. I am happy with tying the same amount or more. The end of December is great. Now I think at least one more fly swap after December should be held. However, Here is the challange I am proposing to all. Background, as most tyers come of age they all get into tying patterns they need and eventually tying new patterns that they would like to try. Only a few tyers then take the next step in observing insects on streams they fish realizing there is an existing pattern that could be improved to imitate the insect they seen or create a new pattern to imitate the insect. Now keep in mind I have developed a new wet fly pattern that is used only around the March - Erly May time frame on the South Branch River. The pattern works wonders and imitates an egg laying may fly that I observed coming off the water that trout were eagerly taking. Ok, so you get the point. Part of fly tying is not just tying fly's that you need. Keeping in mind that patterns tying and repetition is what gets one to become a better tyer and also increases speed and tying effiecency. So the challange here is to get every one thinking outside the box and either create a new pattern that has proven to work for you and on what stream or take and existing pattern and modify it to imitate and insect that was encountered. Again the Modification must have proven to work for you on a stream or streams. If evey one is into this suggestion than I will offer my pattern for the Bregg. By the way at my next club meeting in the Catskills I will be taking this pattern up. There are a few people in the club that will look into seeing if any patterns exist at all. The point is I'm trying to get this pattern registered and published.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Andy, That's what Caddis Fly's and Hatches II are for! lol. Your idea sounds pretty good. I took some photo's of a Cranefly that I observed on the south branch last spring, maybe I can try to imitate that.

If anyone has any good insect shots, I'd love to post them on the site for reference. If you're unsure of how to post photo's, please email them to me.

I've created a few very simple patterns (what else would you expect from a simple guy ).... My father ties this South Branch Shrimp fly that I'm going to have to learn to tie one of these days. So, while making a poor attempt at tying this easy fly, I've tried something a little different. I changed the thread color to red. WOW! So basically, my pattern runs in a size 16 - 22, and is so simple even I could tie it.

Basically, I get some tan dubbing, tie it around the hook, then whip finish. I've done this with and without a Bead for the head, and it always produces the same great results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I received my flies yesterday and man....they look great!! Everyone did a great job. Thanks a lot!! This was great practice for a new flytier like myself. Good job Dennis....this was organized perfectly!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I received my flies today also. Everyone's look great. Dennis, if you don't mind I would like to volunteer to be the point of contact and mailer for the next round. I have an idea that I would to do for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

The flies from everyone look great! I will start testing them out this weekend! I started tying for the next one already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by JasonM
    I received my flies today also. Everyone's look great. Dennis, if you don't mind I would like to volunteer to be the point of contact and mailer for the next round. I have an idea that I would to do for everyone.
    Are you trying to take away my 15 minutes of fame? Well, ok... the next one is all yours!

I'd like to add another idea too. it doesn't have to be for the very next swap, but sometime down the road... Everyone who signs up for the swap tells of the fly he/she likes the best. The tyer will provide all instructions on how to tie the fly. Then we can put the names in a hat and choose that way. They tyer is of course responsible for the materials. - Food for thought.

-Dennis

Thread Information