Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Linking Photos to other FF sites

Guys I just thought I would open a disscussion do you think its fair to post photos on NEFF and link them to other sites? I am hopeing to gain an understanding of why people would do this? Perhaps also some people may have an oppinon on why its wrong or right... i will even chime in later with my two cents to reward people if they participate in this tread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by thewylie
    I am hopeing to gain an understanding of why people would do this?
    Convenience?

What makes it more wrong to me is that some of those posters don't participate in NEFF talk (at all). I interpret that as using someone, even if done unintentionally. I noticed that there weren't any comments from NEFF members posted on the most recent photos. Coincidence? I for one, didn't comment because I didn't know anything about the poster. It wasn't until today that I realized the linking on the other site.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Wylie,

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. As I've said in my post, if I thought something was wrong with it, I would disable the ability to do so. What I found annoying was seeing photo's posted on this site simply to run to another site and talk about them there without even a description of the photo's. That's why I mention Photobucket.com or another service like it for that reason. Photobucket is a photo host.

Here is a recent example that I found to be annoying.
    http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopos...php?photo=2723

There is no description of the photo unless you go here:
    http://www.njtrout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220

I have nothing against NJTrout or its users, and I might add that it's a nice looking site. But posting photo's here only to talk about them elsewhere isn't really fair to me and my efforts on this site.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Here is my history with this site:

I got my computer and Digital camera in 2004. I loaded the photos on my computer but didn't know how or where to share them with others. I eventually came across this site, saw the free photo upload(which I thought was great and easy to use) and began uploading some of my photos, to which I got mostly positive responses/comments. I also made comments as well and answered any questions about them. I also occasionally chimed in with my opinions on subjects that caught my interest - mostly wild trout issues.The problem I faced is that I was primarily a spin fisherman and since I didn't want to offend anybody, I only posted photos of trout caught on flies - which was few. I had many more pictures to share of spinner caught trout so I decided to create my own sites just to display my pictures and thats it.

Over time, I joined other sites - NJTrout, PaFlyFish, Pa Anglers among them - some of which had their own photo galleries, some did not. While I still on occasion use NEFF photo upload, I now use mostly my own sites to host my photos from which I then post on other sites. I still use NEFF for uploads of "special" fish shots or stream shots - a colorful brookie or big brown , a waterfall - that I figure any angler would want to see. I try to make comments on all my photos and encourage others to comment on them as well. I never thought I was "stealing" from you Dennis, just sharing pictures I thought everybody would like to see. I also thought by sharing them on other sites, your site would get more notice as well(from the watermark). People who didn't know about your site suddenly had a new site to join or look at. I have suggested to others about using this site to upload their photos for free and for that I apologize, I was trying to be courteous and helpful, no malice intended.

Mark S.

Fish alone, catch more trout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle
    Wylie,

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. As I've said in my post, if I thought something was wrong with it, I would disable the ability to do so. What I found annoying was seeing photo's posted on this site simply to run to another site and talk about them there without even a description of the photo's. That's why I mention Photobucket.com or another service like it for that reason. Photobucket is a photo host.

Here is a recent example that I found to be annoying.
    http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopos...php?photo=2723

There is no description of the photo unless you go here:
    http://www.njtrout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220

I have nothing against NJTrout or its users, and I might add that it's a nice looking site. But posting photo's here only to talk about them elsewhere isn't really fair to me and my efforts on this site.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com Photobucket is free. Easy to use.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thread Information