Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Question Help with a Saltwater Outfit

I need some help with picking a satwater outfit. Im looking to get one before the fall to use on Sandy Hook 90% and some other areas. Im thinking of a 10wt. but then people also say 9wt. Also line, floating or sinking? Any help or tips would be great also if you have any tips on flies. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

During the fall, im fishing sandhook 95% of the time. If you can only have 1 rod for the salt in NJ, a 10wt is where to start. For a line, An intermediate. You may also want to have some sort of a sink line as well for certain conditions. A floating line will be difficult to cast with any amount of wind. Get yourself a good stripping basket too. Flies, typical deceivers / clousers . IF the blues are around, they'll take anything you throw at them, if stripers are blitzing, they will too.

mollyd is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Think about a spey rod. That is my salt rod of choice. I don't spey cast, just over head. It will help get the fly way out there and in the wind keeps that BIG fly away from your head.
    Use a regular clear intermediate line and had a sinking one on a spare spool. Mine rod is a 8/9 GLX Loomis. Try it you will like it! We have a large group who visit the Cape every year in early June. The first year everyone looked at me like I was crazy, now over half of them have their own spey rod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

a spey rod (actually there are now salt dedicated "spey" type rods with which using
    a modified cast can in reality put a line out 150') can be good, but is not typical around
    the hook. you would have to try one to know. I did see an impressive video of
    one of these specialized two handed salt sticks, but for now, it's not for me. if I really
    need that much distance, I'll go with a spinning rod.

I'm with FT on the rec. 10wt, intermediate for your first line, a sink tip if
    you can for situations where the current is really ripping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

If I really need that much distance, I'll go with a spinning rod.

Bingo!

2-handed (not spey) casting is basically the same technique as chucking a conventional surf rod. Spey casting is fancy roll casting...

Fish the right areas and there is no need for that 150+ft cast. 50ft or less is more typical, which is well within the realm of the 1-handed whippy stick. You'll also have much more control over your presentation with shorter casts, which in the end is more important than distance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Im gld Fly Ty R broke the ice on this one. Although you can cast a country mile with a two handed rod, like Fly Ty R says, you may as well bring a spinning rod. I have not made that switch cause I have not had to much of a difficult time catching fish with the single handed.

The single handed is a tradtional rod. If you master a single handed rod, you can learn how to cut the wind, get your fly out etc. Just because you may see fish busting 150 feet out, doesnt mean there arent fish 50 feet out. If you reed the water right, you can get into fish. There have been many times where the fly rod, single handed, outfished the guys launching plugs in the direction of England.

Learn a single handed rod first, master it and then if you feel the need to get the extra 50 feet, go for the double handed.

I'm a long long way from coming close to even an associates degree in casting but with my 10 wt, I can easily dump a full line, throw in a little NW wind at my back and im casting 120 feet. If I have to go further than that, Ill buy a boat.

Thread Information