Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Penfield Reef

Anyone have directions and where to fish at this place i have heard of called penfield reef CT?

Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Josh, A really great place to fish however I would strongly suggest for the first time, fishing it with someone who knows it well. I would also highly suggest wearing a personal flotation device. Penfield is easily accessable off I 95 in connecticut. You MUST know the exact tides when fishing there. As the tide swings from high to low, you can start walking out on the reef. As the tide recedes, the reef becomes very visable, and completely out of the water. Once you make it to the end of the reef, you are quite a ways off shore. Depending how long it takes to walk out, you MUST keep an eye on your watch. At dead low tide, you can fish the point for a certain amount of time and then you need to move in quickly and fish your way in, making certain that you are within an arms reach of the shore way before high tide.

Its a great place to fish but very dangerous if you do not know the area. I've fished it a hundred times and still take every precaution possible, including making certain that someone knows I am out there. There have been times at night, walking back in where fog has rolled through. Once the tide covers the reef you can become easily disoriented. The reef does not go straight out so picking a landmark is not the best to do.

I have it on my GPS which is accurate to about 3 feet. On the reef, three feet the wrong way can put you in trouble.

If you get stuck out on the end of the reef, and your clinging on to the fog light, Ive heard the fine from the coast guard to come get you is close to a thousand bucks.

I CAN NOT SAY IT ENOUGH>>>>FISH IS WITH SOMEONE WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH IT, DO NOT FISH IT ALONE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks a lot. Sounds like a good place if you know what you are doing. I will get together with someone and fish it during the day light so i can learn the lay of the land. I wouldnt want to be caught in that type of situation. any other place/beach in CT that you would recomend. I am in the portchester NY area a lot, and wanted to fish the area. Some recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Josh, the walk to the end of the reef at dead low tide puts you about 1 1/2 miles into the LI sound. Access a dirt path nead Fairfield University. You can go to any mapping site and see pennfield. Access is off of reef road in Fairfield, CT. There are a few dirt pulloffs but when they are full, its hard to find parking.

Thread Information