Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dennis; Great story but you forgot to mention the 22" brown that I caught! I'm also a member of the elite trouthunter club. Someone asked if there were ceiling fans in the room; yup, there are, I found out when my rod was eaten by one on them on the last day of the trip . I called Redington the next day - no problem, send 20 bucks and they will replace the rod! By the way, thanks for the casting lessons, now I can get the fly on target from 30 feet. Send photos. Uncle Felix (all the way on the left in your group photo).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis....what a great report! Time spent fishing with dad is time well spent. Especially on the Henry's fork. I can't wait until July 16th when I fly into Jackson, WY. Then its a week of paradise. I have very limited experience on the Henry's fork. I have fished the ranch at Osbourne bridge and the box canyon. Where would you suggest to try. We will be wading and not going with a guide. Thanks in advance.

Shall I say hello to Jon for you?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Please send my regards!

I would check out the run below Mesa Falls. There is water of all types on your way down but, I will say that most of the fish in the first mile were 12" or so. When you get down about 2 or 3 miles, the fish were in the much larger range. I'm not sure how far down you can travel down that road but if you check the shops, they should be helpful.

If I recall, there is a creek called, 'bear creek' which is full of 12 -14" wild brook trout. I believe you can park your car at the bridge and wade just about anywhere you like. I didn't fish it but other anglers staying at the lodge said they were having a good time there.

One thing I would ask a shop about is, Solitude! From my understanding, after the week of June 12, it gets pretty packed.

I know that wasn't much of a help, but hopefully you'll get something out of it. Wherever you decide to go, there will be big fish somewhere, that's guaranteed!

Ohhh, one more place to try. If you wade into the water at TroutHunter lodge, walk upstream about 1/2 mile. There is a really nice riffle there. I watched a few guys pull out some nice 16" fish. Then if you walk up a little more, there is some slower moving water with some major pigs in it. Right outside of the TroutHunter, it's called "The bay of pigs", so you might want to try right behind that lodge. I think you can enter slightly downstream from the lodge and wade your way up or even on the opposite bank.

Good luck and please report when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by emerger
    Dennis....what a great report! Time spent fishing with dad is time well spent. Especially on the Henry's fork. I can't wait until July 16th when I fly into Jackson, WY. Then its a week of paradise. I have very limited experience on the Henry's fork. I have fished the ranch at Osbourne bridge and the box canyon. Where would you suggest to try. We will be wading and not going with a guide. Thanks in advance.

Shall I say hello to Jon for you?

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thank you! I will be sure to give a report when I get back. This is the third year that my brother and I meet up and hit various streams in the yellowstone area. We cover lots of ground and fish many different waters. The past 2 years have proved to be tough on the Henry's fork for us. Very few rising fish and bad weather. Hopefully the stars will align this year and we will hit it just right. The Madison is a different story. I can't imagine a better trout river. Our tentative plans will be to fish the Henrys Fork, Madison, Gallatin, Yellowstone,Lamar, Soda Butte and then back for one last day in the Jackson area on either the Snake, Gros Ventre, or Hoback rivers. 8 days of flyfishing heaven! The countdown has begun and the tying vise is burning out flies at recoed pace these days.

Dennis....the pictures are fantastic! I hope you can post a few more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs up You had FUN !!

Dennis,

Thanx for sharing your adventure.

I'm really happy for you (seeing as you were a tad down on the idea before leaving). Sounds like you like big bow's on big water.

It is a blast when you lay out a relatively long cast and the strike comes way out there eh!

So, ... when are you going back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

TroutHunter at Henry's Fork -- last week of June

Just wanted to share my experiences on this thread after a trip back from Trouthunter on the Henry's Fork in Idaho. A buddy and I spent 5 days fishing with guides and 6 nights at the lodge, this last week of June, 2005. Had a supreme blast, probably the best week of trout fishing in 20 years. Plenty of big fish, small fish, and everything in between. The two of us got seven trout over 20 inches, my buddy connecting with a 23" brown on a dry fly on the lower stretch of the HF that was his fish of a lifetime. On the next to last day at the notorious Harriman Ranch I landed a bow on a #16 spinner, 6X tippet after a phenomenal fight. Truly two picky fish we will never forget! But the plentiful "smaller" 17-18 inchers put up incredible fights, as well. We approached the fishing by surrendering to the river's wily charms, leaving our choice of flies and tactics up to our guides. Every stretch of the river had its unique strategy and we were in awe of the local knowledge accumulated by the guides -- we could not have caught nearly as many fish if we had not solicited their advice. We just soaked up what the guides were willing to share about how to catch local fish. Lots of their techniques will prove beneficial for me on the Delaware. There were just too many hatches and stages of unfamiliar insects going on for us to be sure of what they were feeding on, but with the guides' suggestions, we had the best opportunity to nail our targets. Not only did they provide angling tips when asked, but they positioned us with extraordinary effort, often walking our driftboat down frothing rapids and retrieving flies when we hung up on rocks or the bank brush. They really went the extra distance. We had two guides, Travis Ryberg and Braide Sessions, each superb in their own ways. Because there are over 40 miles of great fishing within a half hour, there is an incredible variety and we took advantage of experiencing as much as we could, wade fishing with tiny dry flies to picky sippers, throwing huge dries in the middle of golden stonefly hatches, nymphing with everything from rubber legs down to little #18 PTs. A smorgasbord! Just seeing the "foreign" insect life was amazing, from clouds of PMDs, to compound hatches of midges, Western green drakes, flavs, etc. In stretches, espcially on the Harriman Ranch, the river is akin a a giant spring creek, with gin-clear water and spooky, spooky monster bows lurking among the green fronds. Approaching them is like wading on a bonefish flat. The Ranch deserves its international reputation as a mecca -- I met a couple of Japanese anglers who had planned for years to come and they scored a nice bow their last day, as well. The food at the lodge was superb -- three beers on draft that were each excellent, reasonable fare like burgers and going up to great tasty lamb chops and a special one night of braised short ribs that were out of this world. Rooms very comfortable, hot tub, good wine list, backyard is the river itself. And the Harriman Ranch was only a fifteen minute walk down river, if one had enough energy to fish after dinner. I thought the prices were reasonable for what they offered. They add up the flies and leaders (if necessary) you used and I was charged around $100 for the flies I used for the whole week. I didn't keep count but I lost a lot when we tore down Cardiac Canyon in a pontoon boat and there are a lot of logs and rocks in the HF that I stuck. I also got a handful of flies back that I used a few times but couldn't be returned to the shop for resale. No complaints there. Friendly people all around, in my experience. Met some members of flyfishing Team USA at the bar, practicing (fishing, not drinking...). Co-Owner Rene Harrop is local legend, but the whole town is full of trout mad individuals, my kind of people! Would I do it again? You bet!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

T1,

Thanks for sharing that.

We too caught quite a few fish while we were there. I didn't get a chance to join the 20" club, but had a great time regardless. All of the guides did work pretty hard for for us. Most of the time, they're in the water hanging onto the back of the boat, even in water where their feet couldn't touch the river bottom. I thought Braide and Travis had the best personalities and were overall great guides. I think Marty probably worked the hardest.

We didn't experience anywhere near the insect activety you experienced. That sounds great!

How were the rivers during your stay, as far as being crowded?

As far as our experiences... I'm not sure of your experience level, but it would appear that you fully utilized your guide. I imagine you kept him quite busy tying on your tippet's and flies for the entire trip. You were pampered more or less. I don't like to be pampered. I like doing things myself and figuring things out on my own. It's just more satisfying to me when you succeed at doing something you've figured out yourself. My opinion is that if you let a guide do all of the work, you midas well give him your rod and let him cast for you too.

You sure did use quite a bit of flies. I think I used in the area of 20 - 25 flies the entire time I was there (All my own, that's why I was ****ed when they tacked flies onto my bill). I felt the fish would take just about anything I tossed at them, and they did (however, the selection of bugs on the water wasn't nearly as good as the selection you described). As a matter of fact, on the last float trip with Braide, I probably used 3 dry flies through-out the day. I started off with a caddis, probably through on a big stimulator, then used an adams for the last few hours. As I mentioned in my report, I specifically told the guides that they would be used strickly for the other guy in the boat if needed, and to row the boat. My dad and I also told each guide not to hesitate to pick up a rod and fish with us when we were stopped somewhere. The only other request we had was that they stay 25 feet or so away from the banks, and as I've said, we had trouble with that at times. I feel that if I'm paying you for a service, just give me the service I ask for, nothing more, nothing less. I know... The guides just want to make sure you catch fish.

The Harriman Ranch was closed to fishing while we were there, so we didn't get to fish it.

A few years ago, the same group of people took a trip to Montana and fished the Blackfoot, Bitterroot, and clarkfork. One thing I liked better about the guides we used in Montana is that they kept us out on the river from 9am to 8 - 9pm. The guides at trout hunter had us at the boat take outs by 6:00 - 6:30(latest). Our trip to Montana was also slightly cheaper, included breakfast and a Cooked lunch. Trout Hunter did include a lunch, but you get sick of lunch meat and PB&J sandwitches after a day or so. I found lunch to be terrible.

As you've mentioned, the dinner was top notch, no qualms from me on this one.

Anyhow, I think everyone's experience is going to be different. I like Zero assistance when I'm trying to fish. Having someone hold my hand defeats my purpose of what I consider a good fun time. I also feel that someone holding my hand defeats the challenge that I seek when I'm fishing. Others may feel that having someone experienced with a river offering them tips and suggestions as well as tying on new flies and tippets is what will bring a good time to them. It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

Sure, I'd return to trout hunter. Overall, the place was very good and the guides were very good. My real problem was with the self indulged Jon they have working behind the counter. The guy needed an attitude adjustment and possibly he got one when we left. I don't know, but it appears he was nice to you, so maybe someone straightend him out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

re: Trouthunter Lodge

Maybe timing and luck have a lot to do with fishing trips. We were there a few weeks after you, and conditions seemed different than what you reported. The Ranch opens on June 15, which draws a lot of crowds, but the guides say that this relieves the pressure on other stretches -- so it's a "mixed curse". Not that having to fish the Ranch is a curse! I should be more cursed! It's also my impression that the hatch cycle was about two weeks later than normal, which may account for the increased bug activity and variety that we observed. I hate to go on about how the Ranch is such a humbling experience, but those are the words that keep coming to mind. I've stayed at the near-by HF Lodge before ($$$$) and the proprietor Nelson knows a thing or three about Ranch fish and he is still eminently humble in their presence. It's a unique experience. As for crowds, there were none when we floated Cardiac Canyon (aka the Slide). Did you do this one? Highly recommended for incredible scenery and wildlife. Main reason there are no crowds is that the guide has to maneuver a gear-laden pontoon boat down a quarter mile almost vertical cliff to reach the river -- not many guides are willing to do this, for obvious reasons. I'd say more than half of our over-20" fish were caught next to the bank. But the places holding fish next to the bank were seemingly just like many, many other places next to the bank. Braide and Travis seemed to know which spots were likely to prove more productive than others, owing obviously to their time day after day guiding clients along the same stretches. Many times we anchored up and wadefished the shore at these productive microenvironments, getting the right angle to cast. I'm not a big lunch eater, so PB&J was okay. I was smoking my brains out anyway, so that put a damper on my appetite. As for the other people at the lodge, well, most of my attention seemed to concentrate on the lovely waitresses -- esp. that diminutively demure heart-throb Amy!

-T1

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I rarely eat lunch either, but if I'm on a vacation, I'll go ahead and eat whatever it is in a bite or two. I'd rather fish.

I think we'll be going back next year, but I'm not 100% on that just yet. I have to take my wife somewhere first. Depending on the money, we'll see what happens. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next time.

I guess the Harriman ranch gets stacked up with fishermen. How long is that stretch? Are people fishing on top of each other? I can't take that. Now to the important stuff... Amy? Is she the school teacher? Blonde hair blue eyes, looks like she's about 18? Yeah, she's a cutie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Idaho Trip, June 5 - 12, 2005

Absolutely awesome pictures! I miss the west coast...

Paul W

Thread Information