Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Day on the Ramapo (2)

Report from the Ramapo on Monday, May 30 4:00 - 6:00 pm

There were two other fly fishermen when I got there, and didn't see them have any success the whole time I was there. I managed to land 2 nice sized rainbows (both about 15") and lost two more fish (one very big, but unable to identify....the other was a small rainbow). These were all caught on various nymphs and emergers. I saw a few sulphurs flying around but no significant hatches. I also have a question....I've seen other posts in these forums that talk about caddis and light cahill hatches on the Ramapo, but I have yet to see one of these. What time do these hatches usually go on because I have fished the Ramapo a significant amount of times this season and haven't seen any hatches except for a decent caddis hatch on one of my evening outings?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've been seeing sporatic Cahill and Caddis activity in the early afternoon. Early last week, during overcast weather, it got good enough for good dry fly fishing.

Reports from other fishermen indicate that the Blue Winged Olives may be more significant in the morning and evening.

So far, I've only seen a few sulphurs. I've wondered if Cahills are being mistaken for sulphurs....

How many tails?
    How big?
    ~~~~~~~~OT~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No offence intended, but how many different topics do we need to discuss the Ramapo and it's hatches?

If an administrator or a moderator merges the topics, after a reply or two, they can lose continuity. Four "Ramapo" topics, give us too many places to check on how things are developing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It seems that the "Good Day on the Ramapo" thread is the most viewed ramapo thread so I thought I would just break it up a little bit to make it easier to navigate. (not trying to make it confusing). I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaking these insects for cahills. The flies I'm talking about are big (like size 12 maybe bigger) with 2 tails(not positive though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm not an entomologist, but I thought Sulphurs had three tails and
    Lt. Cahills have two. See below (5/31/05) for a description of what I've been calling a Light cahill.

Since this is the most current "Ramapo" topic, I'll go ahead and use it
    Last two days....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ramapo River, at Lakeshore Drive, 05/30/05 (11:45AM - 2:40PM):
    • Water: Silty, Moderate flow, 64F.
      Weather: Bright Sun, Breezy, Low 70s
      Hatches: Light Cahill (size 14)
      Catch: N/A
      Incidental Catch: One White Perch, One Yellow Perch.
    Has at least five trout rise to a Light Cahill, two were on long enough to bend my rod. Lost them all. The White Perch took a Pheasant Tail Nymph, the Yellow Perch took a soft hackle Hare's Ear.

One baitphisher took 5 browns, two others were skunked. The successful baitfisher had his phish in on a stinger clipped to his belt....A water snake kept following him around.
    Ramapo River, at Lakeshore Drive, 05/31/05 (11:45AM-3:00PM):
    • Water: Silty, low, 64F.
      Weather: Bright Sun, Breezy, high 70s
      Hatches: Light Cahill (size 14)
      Catch: Four Brown Trout
      Incidental Catch: Two Bluegill Sunfish
    The hatch was sparce but fish seemed to be rising. I captured a couple, yellowish/cream color, only two tails about size 14.

Got one of the trout in the pool, the rest in the riffle at the head of the pool.

Under the current conditions the riffle is only ankle deep, but it probably hasn't been deciminated as much by bait fishers (their split shot get hung up too much).

All fish except one of the Bluegills took a Light Cahill dry dressed with a little more yellow in the body than the standard tie. The other bluegill took a Wooly Bugger.

Another flyfisher reported a productive BWO hatch in the morning. Said he got a bunch of rainbows at the fallen tree just upstream, and browns in the riffle. He lost one at the foot of the pool just before he left, he said he was still using the BWO.

A third flyfisher got at least one in the riffle, I didn't get a chance to speak with him before he left, so I don't know what he was using.

Note: the sunfish were in relatively still water, near the east shore and in the pocket behind the "big rock". The trout were in the faster water on the west side of the river and in the riffle.
    Ramapo River, at Lakeshore Drive, 06/01/05 (11:55AM - 2:30PM):
    • Water: Silty, low, 66F.
      Weather: Bright Sun, Calm, Low 70s
      Hatches: Light Cahill (size 14), BWO (size 18 or 20)
      Catch: One Brown Trout
      Incidental Catch: One Longeared Sunfish
    Not many rises, but the rise form was very aggressive. Often, they jumped clear of the water by a foot or more.

Both the trout and the sunny took a Light Cahill dry. Got the trout in the pocket water behind the "big rock".

Had a few takes in the shady water, against the west bank, in the riffle. Lost them all.

The river is getting very low again and the water temp is rising. Unless we get some serious rain and/or some cool weather, trout fishing in the Ramapo, may not last until July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Update.....
    Ramapo River, at Lakeshore Drive, 06/04/05 (11:55AM - 2:30PM):
    • Water: Silty, low, 68F.
      Weather: Bright Sun, Calm, High 70s
      Hatches: Light Cahill (size 14), A few Caddis
      Catch: One Brown Trout
    There were plenty of bugs, but very few rises.

The trout took a Light Cahill in the riffle, after the drift was over and the fly had "drowned".
    Two baitfishers (teens) were skunked.

Yesterday's rain didn't do much. The river is still very low and still getting warmer.
    It's starting to get that "funky smell" that someone complained about last spring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I fished the Lakeshore Drive area yesterday from about 6 - 8:30. There were a lot of fish rising to what seemed to be a small sulphur hatch. I caught 4 fish: 3 browns all about 12 inches, and one nice rainbow about 16 inches. All were caught on a size 16 sulphur. Also missed a couple of big browns who seemed very picky and would just come up to the fly and stare at it for a second and disappear back down to the bottom of the pool. There was a baitfisher there when I got there, but he left about ten minutes later which gave me that entire stretch all to myself. And I also experienced that smell. I got into my truck this morning with my fishing gear still in the back, and it stunk like a combo of stagnant water and the inside of someones septic tank. Really nasty stuff. By the way, I'm making a seperate posting about this topic but I figured I'd ask in here too. Does anyone know an effective remedy other than the usual(calamine lotion) to get rid of poison ivy quickly?? I figured with all the fishermen viewing these posts, some had to have come across this nasty nasty plant in their fishing adventures and maybe someone knows a quick fix to get rid of it. I got it last year and do not want to go through that again. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sstasiak
    I fished the Lakeshore Drive area yesterday from about 6 - 8:30.
    AM or PM?
    Up until now, I've been fishing in the early afternoon. Considering the warmer water temperatures, I've been wondering if the fish woluld be more active around sunrise.

Poison Ivy - The best way is to learn what it looks like and don't touch it. If you are accidently exposed, wash the area immediately (plain water is fine). See your other topic for various home remedies.

~~~~~~~~~~OFF TOPIC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This spring, I've noticed that a lot of people have been cleaning fish at streamside and leaving the entrails & heads in the shallows. The more considerate have been using the trash bin at the Lakeshore Drive cul-de-sac.

One day last week I saw that the trash bun had been dumped and wondered if it was vandals or perhaps a bear. Today I read Riffles, the EJTU newsletter (see last page Ramapo Ramblin'). There have been two recent bear sightings along the Ramapo, one in the area between The Lenape Lane bridge and the Lakeshore drive cul-de-sac, the other near the Glen Gray Bridge (w/cubs).
    • Be alert!

If you keep a fish for the table, please clean it elsewhere and dispose of the entrails properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Pete,

I read Riffles too. Do you (or anyone else) know where Singac Brook in Wayne is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by C&R
    Pete,

I read Riffles too. Do you (or anyone else) know where Singac Brook in Wayne is?
    According to my map, it's the brook that flows into (and out of) Barbour Pond. Barbour Pond Park is off Valley Road, just north of the Hamburg Tpk.

From there it meanders through Wayne until it empties into Naaktpunkt Brook, near Totowa.

My map doesn't show it, but I'm guessing that the source is somewhere in the High Mountain Wilderness Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Pete,

I should be out tomorrow around 1 pm at Lakeshore Drive. Maybe we'll see each other if you continue your usual daily venture to Lakeshore. I don't usually get to fish midday during the week because of work, but I have a poison ivy "recuperation" day tomorrow, so if it's decent weather I think I may be able to get out there. Most of the time I fish after work and there's usaully a few people around so I'd like to get there when the likelihood of someone else being there is very low, and hopefully todays rain helped the river a little bit. See you out there.

Oh and in my last Lakeshore post, that was the afternoon I was talking about not morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Went out to the Ramapo on Thursday evening (June 2) with sstasiak by Lakeshore.

Caught an average rainbow stockie on BH Hare's Ear in the riffles upstream (far bank) from Pete's usual spot and lost a really nice size brown (broke my tippet). Moved down to Pete's spot and fishing were going nuts. Is it possible that a lot of these were small bass? It was happening too fast to tell. Also saw something I never seen before. Two trout nearly simultaneously jumped out of the water near a a large rock and scooped up whatever insects were clinging to the side of the rocks. It was really cool.

I tried out a new fly that I picked up at Britts. Its called a White Miller and I had some really strong hits, but couldn't hook anything and land it. In fact I lost two flies at the tippet. Probably because I reacted too hard to the strikes and exerted too much force when setting the hook. Does anyone know much anything about the imitation and the insect. Its all white. It probably explains why earlier in May I caught my first trout on dry fly using an all-white spent spinner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It's possible that those fish were:
    • Fallfish (aka Chubs)
      Bluegill Sunfish
      Long Eared Sunfish
      White Perch
      Yellow Perch
      Largemouth Bass
      Smallmouth Bass
      Black Crappies
      Brown Trout
      Rainbow Trout
    Other species are possible but less likely. The water is already too warm for Brook Trout to stay healthy. Suckers normally feed on the bottom.

"Britts" isn't really a specialty fly shop. He probably gets his flys from a supplier who uses standard grade hooks. If you're losing a lot of fish, try sharpening the hook.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ramapo River, at Lakeshore Drive, 06/07/05 (11:40AM - 1:40PM):
    • Water: Slightly Turbid, low, 72F.
      Weather: Bright Sun, Breezy, High 70s rose to low 80s
      Hatches: Light Cahill, Caddis
      Catch: N/A
      Incidental Catch: One Black Crappie
    Very sparce hatches. I only observed two rises.

Yesterday's storms raised the water level a few inches, but the temperature is worrysome.

Had a "refusal" in the upper portion of the riffle to a Light Cahill (trout). There's a slightly deeper area where that log lies near the bank.

Had two "hits" in the Rapids on a Hare's Ear/ Wooly Bugger tandem rig (species not determined).

The Crappie took a Hare's Ear nymph near the foot of the pool.

A kid using a bobber w/minnow spent about 15 minutes in the pool. He didn't catch anything.

The last time I took a Ramapo trout in the spring of 2004, the water temperature was 71F, that was in early July....It may be time to start getting up early (or time to switch to bass & pickerel).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unless "sstasiak" is a teen aged baitfisher, I must have missed him (I left earlier than usual when my tip guide came loose).

BTW: Watch out for poison ivy at Lakeshore Drive cul-de-sac. It's present on both sides of the short path down the bank, to the river as well as by the trash can.

Thread Information