Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Why use the Humpy and Royal Wolff

THIs is aquestion that has me thinking about attracktor paterns. On anther board people talk about these flys quite often but i don't understand why. These are obviously stocked fish lures which would server no purpose on a wild trout stream. I prefer to use more realistic patterns like the mayfly's or stoneflys or caddis flys. People find this fasination using these i think because they look nice. For fishing for stocked trout I suppose they are ok. Stockies have already come up and taken my strike indicator on numerous occasions. Hungry fish? I'm not a strict match the hatch guy. Sometime I even use a streamer. I feel that more of matching something that using the attracktors. Ok. I had to ask that question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have seen a guy fish a humpy on wild brown trout at the saucon and do fairly well. I think you could be wrong by ascerting that it is only for stocked fish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

I'll have to agree with both of you on this one.

Since these flies don't imitate any specific insect, I can see where Roscoe is going with this. On the other hand, like JasonM says, He's seen people catch wild trout on these attracters before. There could be a few reasons these attracters work well sometimes.

1. Very Hungry trout may take just about anything at times.
    2. If it was used in the riffles and the trout did not have a chance to thoroughly inspect the fly.
    3. Sometimes a trout will take something it simply has not seen before. "Wow, Something new!"

I personally never use attractors because I think they're dumb (the fly's, not the people who use them). Sure... Some of them look pretty, but If I'm going to catch trout, it's going to be on something that simulates something real!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Lightbulb

The Royal coachmen is a traditional catskills fly pattern that works nicely in the fall. I just used this pattern this past Sunday at the KLG and did extremely well. Yes you may call it an attractor pattern, but I like to call it a hodge podge that is really a true producer. There are times and places to use attractors. Attractors do not always produce, but when they do look out. If you look at the Royal coachmen, the peacock herl is a natural enticer to trout. The red catches thier eye due to color and possible injured something. Keep in mind the red is used for the same purpose as in the Blacknose dace and Mickey fin. The brown hackle can imitate numerous floating insects. Add the tail and when you put it all together you have one fly that imitates floating insects. Now why does this fly work so well in the fall. Hmm, at the KLG this past Sunday there were fingerlings, sculpins, ants, inchworms, black flies, bees (A good Tennesse Bee pattern would have worked this day) some BWO and if you really looked close enough you would have seen sporadic blue duns in the size 18 - 20 range. Now add all these insects and baitfish that I noticed and a couple of others that I have missed and you see we have a Trout buffet. The trout in the fall when the temperatures decrease become hungry again just waiting for almost any insect to devour. Also note you do not see them at this time frame only feeding on a specific hatch like the spring and erly summer. Sorry for being so long winded but this is just my observations made while fishing the Royal coachmen in the KLG and catsklills.

Andy b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Andy,

That was a very good explanation. I must now rescind my "dumb" remark. I like your outlook on that fly, and now maybe I'll try using them a bit more often. I would think that running them along a seem, in a riffle, or a back eddy, would produce some good results. I carry one of these in my fly box, so who knows... maybe tomorrow I'll polish it up and get rid of the dust!

Are you going to be coming tomorrow? That would be pretty kewl if you could make it up.

Dennis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool Attractors

Soory I did not reply back but this past weekend was part of my Honey do list. I will be out Sunday this Weekend at the KLG. Did you fish at all this weekend. I thought the streams would be to swollen to fish. Just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm not much of an attractor patterns fan but I think it's interesting that Lee Wulff was an active user of attractors. Personally I think they are most useful in pocket water and that's where I use them and I think they are effective in that situation because both the fish and I can see them and the fish don't have much of an opportunity to look them over before they're gone.

Thread Information