Royal Wulff Products

View Poll Results: What is your favorite ff technic ??

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upstream dries (sight fished too)

56 56.00%
  • Downstream streamer swings

12 12.00%
  • "Nymphing" (pretty vast, but I don't really know this (these) tech.

23 23.00%
  • Wets

9 9.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile

Fly Tier,

We'd like to get around, but the season just goes by so fast (only do really one river). Thanks for the invite.

One day, we shall do it. I guess I'm a creature of habit. Edit: That is to say, we fish to relax and get away from town, phones, playStation ...) For now, the homewaters do just fine. The new familly just started fishing 3 seasons ago, so they still learn something every time out (me too) So for now, we don't look to explore new waters. Heck the river has over 100 km of pools, runs etc...

Same invitation for you all too if you ever want to get up to Canada.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I prefer to fish on the surface. I will almost always start out with a surface presentation. However, with fishing the goal is naturally to catch fish, so I adapt as necessary as conditions dictate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Favorite technic

Dry fly fishing is a lifestyle in the Catskills where I grew up fishing. I believe it was Herbert Hoover in his book who said that "the dry fly fisherman considers himself above the wet fly fisherman who is above the lure fisherman who is above the bait fisherman, but in times of desperation the dry fly fisherman will fish wets and so on."

I'm not for being a raging elitist but dry fly fishing in my opinion is 100x more exciting than any other method, BUT I also flyfish for my own fun so whatever makes another happy and however you have fun is your way. I'll be happy if everyone on the stream is having a good time.

I'm also not an elitist (or an idiot) in that if they aren't taking or rising and a few prospectors don't work I'll nymph fish. Now if they ARE rising and refusing everything I throw at them... I'll try everything in my book but will eventually nymph fish.

Early in the season nymph and streamer fishing is usually the only way to fish, and I enjoy it immensely.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

While there is nothing like the site of a rising trout taking a fine Catskill dry. Most trout are feeding sub surface. I'm a big fan of faster water and find a good wet fly can evoke some savage hits while dry fly fishing can be futile at times I might add I love the old wet fly patterns and their effectivenes

Arundinaria amabilis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'd rather swim a team of wets than any other technique I can think of --
    although "swim" is a wide open term -- upstream in the film, to straight across on a dead drift, to swinging them downstream.

To quote Ray Bergman,

Wet fly fishing is a subtle art. Masters of the art are few and far between. Many anglers never become even passably proficient although the same men will become really skillful at at dry fly fishing.

Later in the same book,

Coming down to "brass tacks" wet fly fishing as a finished art is much harder to master than dry fly fishing. Dry fly operations are all visible to the angler but most successful wet fly tactics are achieved only by a finely developed sense of touch, by subtle intuition resulting from long association with the intricacies of the method.

In other words, it's a heck of a lot more interesting.

OTOH, the only fly fishing technique that I don't really enjoy is high stick nymphing.

Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I'd rather swim a team of wets than any other technique I can think of --
    although "swim" is a wide open term -- upstream in the film, to straight across on a dead drift, to swinging them downstream.

To quote Ray Bergman,

Wet fly fishing is a subtle art. Masters of the art are few and far between. Many anglers never become even passably proficient although the same men will become really skillful at at dry fly fishing.

Later in the same book,

Coming down to "brass tacks" wet fly fishing as a finished art is much harder to master than dry fly fishing. Dry fly operations are all visible to the angler but most successful wet fly tactics are achieved only by a finely developed sense of touch, by subtle intuition resulting from long association with the intricacies of the method.

In other words, it's a heck of a lot more interesting.

OTOH, the only fly fishing technique that I don't really enjoy is high stick nymphing.

well done. absolutely it is a much different technique and the touch aspect is certainly of primary importance. i fish with guys that PREFER to swing a wet fly more than anything else they've become so confident in what the technique produces.

dry flys have become really a necessary evil towards the evening or if a hatch is on... its that extreme once you have success fishing wet flys and emergers on the swing.

in fact, you can fish any given fly on the swing and it's pretty much the go to tactic sometimes. even dry flies -- let them get dunked just at dark and wait until you feel the hit... its extremely effective well after dark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I prefer to fish on the surface. I will almost always start out with a surface presentation. However, with fishing the goal is naturally to catch fish, so I adapt as necessary as conditions dictate.

does anyone bass fish with lures here? 95% of the time I use a subsurface lure, only at certain times of the day will I wish with a top water bait. its not all that different in fly fishing... yes the surface strike is exciting BUT tie on a wooly bugger or a big stonefly nymph and I guarantee you your trout will start coming in 3-4" bigger throughout the day.

the surface take -- there's nothing like it. BUT a stiff wooly bugger take or a big hit on a large stonefly under the water can be equally as exciting... there is a visual to it and a feeling of the take that you dont always get dry fly fishing.

to each their own, but nowadays i look forward to a nymph catch even moreso than a dry fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool Re: Favorite technic

I love using all of them. Because if one doesn't work the other one might. So you may have to change flies to get the right tech. right guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

streamer fishing for sure is my favorite especially light colored or big flashy things. When I am nymphing in water that has the slightest possibility for bigger fish my first fly is almost always some sort of sculpin pattern. Fishing with mice is always fun on top though

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

Thread Information