Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Storm impact

Well I just got back from fishing a PA WTS and I still can't believe how much the creek changed from a week ago. It has been re-channeled in some places, holes filled and new holes created. Most of the wood that had covered the creek is now in a few very large piles across the creek in various places, I'm talking trees that were 2-3 feet in diameter. But luckily the water is running under the piles and not backing up into dammed pools. Looking at the water line along the banks I would estimate that the water rose vertically 5-6 feet. I think that generally speaking, the creek has improved from a fishing standpoint but may have lost a bit of fish hiding structure.
    The water was still much higher than I thought it would be today but I still managed my share of browns on a Chubby Chernobyl fishing up and a mini Sex Dungeon on the way back down. All the fish I caught had huge bellies from I guess feeding on all the stuff that washed downstream.
    And for thems that know, the swimming hole is almost completely filled in.

Similar Threads:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Re: Storm impact

Most all NW NJ and NE PA streams saw some to significant changes from Ida which is now the flood of record for many watersheds. Like Irene years before, it was set up by previous hurricane remnants (Fred and Henri) as well as random thunderstorms that dumped lots of rain. The Lopatcong Creek we just completed 1 1/2 miles of restoration on saw flood waters out of bank and 5' up in the trees. The "active channel" was over 100' wide on a stream that in low flows you can easily step over in many places. The Lopat saw four out of bank events in something like 12 days and well over 20" of rain during that time.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Iíll need to investigate this directly. Please send me the coordinates directly.

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Well I just got back from fishing a PA WTS and I still can't believe how much the creek changed from a week ago. It has been re-channeled in some places, holes filled and new holes created. Most of the wood that had covered the creek is now in a few very large piles across the creek in various places, I'm talking trees that were 2-3 feet in diameter. But luckily the water is running under the piles and not backing up into dammed pools. Looking at the water line along the banks I would estimate that the water rose vertically 5-6 feet. I think that generally speaking, the creek has improved from a fishing standpoint but may have lost a bit of fish hiding structure.
    The water was still much higher than I thought it would be today but I still managed my share of browns on a Chubby Chernobyl fishing up and a mini Sex Dungeon on the way back down. All the fish I caught had huge bellies from I guess feeding on all the stuff that washed downstream.
    And for thems that know, the swimming hole is almost completely filled in.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

A follow-up on the Ida damage for a LV stream that I fished Saturday is the lower end of the stream I fished was wiped out. I have never seen gravel bars six feet high that were deposited in some areas and filled in much of the fishable water.
    And the Spotted Lanternfly population seems to be as bad as the storm damage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (3 Weeks Ago)

Thread Information