Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Absolute Beginner - Few Quick Questions

Hey all,

Thanks again for all the tips. I have not made it trout fishing or to Shannons (too hot anyway really) but I decided to get some practice in really close to my house in the Delaware river to see if maybe I could catch a smallie.

Got to try out my waders (70$ amazon pair which did not leak the first outing which I’m calling a success) and my “terrafin” wading boot/sneaker by softscience. I’m happy with everything…except my casting abilities. Definitely tricky stuff, having trouble getting good casts more than about 10-15 feet away from myself. I’ve been watching all the mad rivers “fly casting” videos and hope to practice some more. I don’t expect to go out and bomb amazing casts. If I was dead drifting in a trout stream I think I could have made out ok, but a wide stretch of river I was in I was wishing I could cast a bit further out.

I did “almost” catch something, which actually wasn’t the goal. I mostly wanted to practice, and with my line piled in front of me and my streamer/sculpin (got off a guy I bought some cheap rio fly line off of facebook marketplace) that was about 5 ft away from me got gulped by something which popped right back off the hook. I was not prepared to fight a fish so I’m ok with losing the fish!

All in all it was a good experience and I’m ready to practice and improve my casting. I will make to Shannons and may hire a guide in ~october when it cools down.

Thanks again everyone,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeblowv1 View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks again for all the tips. I have not made it trout fishing or to Shannons (too hot anyway really) but I decided to get some practice in really close to my house in the Delaware river to see if maybe I could catch a smallie.

Got to try out my waders (70$ amazon pair which did not leak the first outing which I’m calling a success) and my “terrafin” wading boot/sneaker by softscience. I’m happy with everything…except my casting abilities. Definitely tricky stuff, having trouble getting good casts more than about 10-15 feet away from myself. I’ve been watching all the mad rivers “fly casting” videos and hope to practice some more. I don’t expect to go out and bomb amazing casts. If I was dead drifting in a trout stream I think I could have made out ok, but a wide stretch of river I was in I was wishing I could cast a bit further out.

I did “almost” catch something, which actually wasn’t the goal. I mostly wanted to practice, and with my line piled in front of me and my streamer/sculpin (got off a guy I bought some cheap rio fly line off of facebook marketplace) that was about 5 ft away from me got gulped by something which popped right back off the hook. I was not prepared to fight a fish so I’m ok with losing the fish!

All in all it was a good experience and I’m ready to practice and improve my casting. I will make to Shannons and may hire a guide in ~october when it cools down.

Thanks again everyone,
    When the water cools, trout will move into the Main Stem and you’ll have that water all to yourself. At least I doubt anyone else will be within, say, several hundred miles of your spot.

Beetle is being punished

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Trout move into the main stem that far down when the water gets cooler? I’d think the River would be too silty/dirty. That or ur just trolling

"...,he who does not put a padlock on his basket ought to put one on his mouth"
    The Practical Angler
    C.W. Stewart
    Circa 1847

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Catskill Mountain Man View Post
    Trout move into the main stem that far down when the water gets cooler? I’d think the River would be too silty/dirty. That or ur just trolling
    Probably not trout, but smallmouth? Striped bass?

https://youtu.be/-bk9A5znU8s

Beetle is being punished

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

I saw so many guys by the Trenton makes bridge on the striper hunt once it hit April/May it wasn't even funny.

I have my "mobile sportfishing pass" so I'm ok with hunting the salt for striped bass, but I do have a small 14' mirrocraft northport troller, I'll make it out on a riverbound striper hunt atleast once eventually.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Come on man!!!!
    You know this is just one of D.C's Chinese clickers keeping traffic up so he can collect his advertising money.
    Shhhhhhh! I asked you not to tell anyone.

System Admin and fly fishing extraordinaire: Dennis Cabarle

Thread Information