Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Re: Hatch charts and climate change

What is it the 97% of climate scientists agree on? Itís actually not what you have been told. This is part of the challenge of coming to any consensus on climate change. Couple that with the constant tie in to social justice issues and the blaming western culture and colonialism for everything including climate change and you can easily recognize why there is so much skepticism. Iím not a skeptic in the way TN is I do think itís fair to question the science and certainly the approach to resolution is really a non starter. Itís also fair to call out the hypocrisy of those who preach while continuing to consume and expand their own carbon footprint.

When I hear that capitalism is the cause of climate change I simply shake my head. To the extent we are impacting climate change the only way it gets resolved is through innovation and entrepreneurship led by capitalism not the undoing of our way of life and standard of living.

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    "Where is the rigor in climate science?" maybe a bit of it in the 97% of climate scientist agreeing? or in observation of our surroundings? All these scientists that you agree with and don't agree with use the same method we all learned in high school

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

Johnw (12-16-2019), Trout Nazi (12-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    And what group do you fall into NJ?
    I fall into the group that DJT definitely ask for a favor from Ukraine to benefit his 2020 election and withheld congress approved funds which jeopardized Ukraine's security.

i also believe in the scientific consensus on this matter and I also believe nothing I say here will change the minds of those that dispute the science.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to njcaddis For This Useful Post:

lightenup (12-10-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    1. Could be going up.
    Yeah, that's about all I need to hear to totally discredit anything else you have to say. About anything.
    The global temperature "could be going up."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

lightenup (12-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Yeah, that's about all I need to hear to totally discredit anything else you have to say. About anything.
    The global temperature "could be going up."
    Yea, it could be going up, it could be going down. Since this type of thing takes place on a geological time scale that’s measured in thousands of years, 150yrs of actual raw data collection (not extrapolated from ice samples) is a blip in geological time, so I don’t actually expect you to wrap your head around it. This reminds me of a conversation me and my wife had the other day after she read some some post on the local house-wives forum from some anti-vaccer idiot. She said “people who don’t know science, yet believe this shit enough to go preaching about it are fucking idiots. They just believe whatever they read on the internet don’t they”. Yup, can’t argue with that.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Only scientists can know anything. I wonder why we bother teaching science or sharing the fruit of their work at all. Even then only certain types of scientists actually practice science. I sure wish someone had a list of what types of science are science and which are not. I say they're all a bunch of phrenologists who keep changing their collective minds every few decades. Thank God for the consistency of the bible. Same answers for few thousand years can't be disputed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Actually, people who take the time and effort to learn how things work can come to know things. These days, it’s easier blindly follow someone who claims they know things, or put your faith in a large group of people who believe the same thing because “it sounds right”, vs. putting in the effort to actually learn the mechanisms and processes behind how something works. Applies to anything.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    Actually, people who take the time and effort to learn how things work can come to know things. These days, it’s easier blindly follow someone who claims they know things, or put your faith in a large group of people who believe the same thing because “it sounds right”, vs. putting in the effort to actually learn the mechanisms and processes behind how something works. Applies to anything.
    Disagree:
    As an engineer I learned the folly of testimony outside one's area of expertise, unless it's made very clear that it's nothing more than a layman's opinion.

In my layman's opinion.
    What should have been a debate between experts, became political when Al Gore testified outside his area of expertise. More recently John Kerry formed a group that will ensure that it remains political for the foreseeable future.

Since Academia tends to lean a bit to the political left, we have a situation akin to the tail wagging the dog. What's sad is none of these people appear to be aware, or don't care, that their efforts are counterproductive to getting a consensus.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (12-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will always remember seeing Kerry stumbling around a Ohio corn field pretending he's hunting geese. He uses more energy in week than most other people in a year It gets better when mumbles and falls off his bike. He said " I could have been a astronaut"
    Oh yeah " Sky Pilot"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Incidents of tick borne diseases in Maine that were once rare are evidence of a changing climate. Ticks are moving further and further north.

“The ticks have brought a surge of Lyme disease in Maine over two decades, boosting reported cases from 71 in 2000 to 1,487 in 2016 — a 20-fold increase, the latest federal data show. Today, Maine leads the nation in Lyme incidence, topping hot spots like Connecticut, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Deer-tick illnesses such as anaplasmosis and babesiosis — a bacterial infection and a parasitic disease similar to malaria, respectively — are following a similar trajectory.
    The explosion of disease correlates with a warming climate in Maine where, over the past three decades, summers generally have grown hotter and longer and winters milder and shorter.”

https://grist.org/article/an-army-of...nly-get-worse/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Striped bass are also extending their range further and further north. In the process, they are contributing to the decimation of Altantic salmon populations and destroying local economies that depend on the salmon fishery.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editori...e-north/360951

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editori...-salmon/151785

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

And you add to this the linking of climate change to social justice and the blaming of capitalism and western colonialism for the worlds problems and you can be certain there will be no consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Disagree:
    As an engineer I learned the folly of testimony outside one's area of expertise, unless it's made very clear that it's nothing more than a layman's opinion.

In my layman's opinion.
    What should have been a debate between experts, became political when Al Gore testified outside his area of expertise. More recently John Kerry formed a group that will ensure that it remains political for the foreseeable future.

Since Academia tends to lean a bit to the political left, we have a situation akin to the tail wagging the dog. What's sad is none of these people appear to be aware, or don't care, that their efforts are counterproductive to getting a consensus.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

Trout Nazi (12-16-2019)

Thread Information