Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Hatch charts and climate change

I was going to.let this go after the McD's CEO comment, but..
    here is another good read...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconv...the-tail-73368
    Yes, nature does win every time, she will have won when the human race has decimated itself to minute levels of existence...hopefully, we as a race are smarter than that.

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

njcaddis (12-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I was going to.let this go after the McD's CEO comment, but..
    here is another good read...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconv...the-tail-73368
    Yes, nature does win every time, she will have won when the human race has decimated itself to minute levels of existence...hopefully, we as a race are smarter than that.

Not it when you look at the big picture, it doesn’t. A gas that makes up about .03% of our atmosphere (and technically isn’t even the strongest “greenhouse” gas) does not control our climate. And the human race will eventually be gone, like every other race before us.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D1FC5FA-127A-4FC1-812C-887A4A387647.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	12944  
    Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry TN, I have to go with LU on this because it's easier for my feeble mind to understand that friendly comic bubble guy than your charts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Sorry TN, I have to go with LU on this because it's easier for my feeble mind to understand that friendly comic bubble guy than your charts.
    Its ok I agree, graphs suck, so I'll give you the Cliff Notes version: Throughout the entire history of the planet, a rise in CO2 does not mean the temperature also goes up. And LU's graph also nicely illustrates a natural cycle at play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

You guys didn't read the article did you...

Sure Co2 is just one part of a very complex process involving ocean temperatures, fine particles, chlorofluorocarbons, enteric fermentation, water vapor, deforestation and the such...C02 is an important part of it...denying this is happening and humans aren't a part of it is just ridiculous...The earth may have started warming naturally, but the levels at which we pollute will help be a catalyst to increase the levels of warming. This is proven science.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

You guys didn't read the article did you...

Sure Co2 is just one part of a very complex process involving ocean temperatures, fine particles, chlorofluorocarbons, enteric fermentation, water vapor, deforestation and the such...C02 is an important part of it...denying this is happening and humans aren't a part of it is just ridiculous...The earth may have started warming naturally, but the levels at which we pollute will help be a catalyst to increase the levels of warming. This is proven science.
    Read the article. Basically tells me nothing new. FYI, water vapor and methane are way, way more powerful greenhouse gases. Also, there were times when CO2 levels were over 5000ppm. The levels now don't even fall within standard deviation.

And on a completely different topic, so what if sea levels rise? It only inconveniences humans. Life on this planet evolved to withstand temperature shifts, and will go on.

Edit (so this thread doesn't become even more of a cluster fuck) - How is this "proven science"? Where is this magical empirical proof? I'd say its pretty far from proven. Everyone jumping on the band wagon does not constitute proof. Everyone also thought the Earth was flat at one point, and more recently, that we put a hole in our ozone layer. I think everyone needs to go back to school to learn science, how you actually prove things scientifically, and what constitutes a burden of proof.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Nazi For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (12-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

So all the ice cores that have been study show no correlation between greenhouse effect and warming...many do. That is fact, I didnt say that the warming now has been proven to be man made and is scientific fact, although a lot of signs point to yes. I agree, before this thread becomes a bigger mess and turns into a pissing match, you and I will probably both be dead before the fact is determined. So if we can agree to disagree. I will return to my first point, no matter what the cause, the climate is warming, why wouldn't we try to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and attempt to perfect alternate forms af energy. The answer is money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Those same ice cores also point to CO2 levels going as a result of warming. It doesn't matter, because the Earth will eventually cool again, that is a scientific fact, shown by those same ice cores. As far as alternatives to fossil fuels, I have bad news there. Fossil fuels are where we are with our current state of technological evolution. Fossil fuels, uranium fuels rods, and hydro. Battery power isn't really an alternative because of the Law of Conservation of Energy (unless you've been drinking Elon's Cool Aid). You still need to burn a lump a lump coal, deplete uranium, or dam a river somewhere else to charge your battery, and there's even loss as that electricity is transmitted hundreds of miles. Until they figure out how to wirelessly transmit energy from a giant solar array in space, or figure out how to reverse engineer the alien anti-gravity drive in Area 51, we're stuck with burning dead dinosaurs.

I find it funny that you think there's some global conspiracy by the oil companies, and the like, to repress alternative energy, but when I propose that this global warming scare is manufactured to achieve the same thing (money), I'm crazy? The oil companies are actually competing with each other to develop alternative energy first, so that they can own the IP and license it. They have the means to hire the best scientists, and they do. So yea, its money, but for the opposite reason you think. If you think that the solution will come from some government somewhere, keep dreaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ok, so I don't think there is a global conspiracy silly man. It's powerful lobbies that sway policy. It our tax payer dollars going to find new oil instead of researching alternate fuels. Sure they aren't viable yet, but why not put more money to that. It's slashing environmental regulations to,"drill baby, drill" or revitalize the coal industry? Really?. Sway the needle and be a leader in innovation, not a follower. Those ice cores show C02 as a catalyst that magnified warming periods. So, as you believe, if this a natural warming period, we are setting ourselves up to magnify how far it goes. Now, can we be finished?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,036 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Why are they fought every time they come up? Hmmm. Holy crap. wind power causes cancer and you can't watch TV....really? I don't lay awake at night either Rusty,but people who deny facts baffle me. Yes it's man made...Just this year we released 32 billion tons of co2 into the atmosphere, that is the equivalent of 162 years of volcanic eruptions in just one year. I have more facts if you are willing to listen, but alas, your mind is made up and you are not producing any facts to back up your hypothesis. You just choose to accuse me of not doing my part...give me some facts..Good thing some vice president brought the science to our attention.
    It has nothing to do with whether or not I "believe" in man made global warming. It has to do with not wasting my time worrying about something that none of us can control. If you or anyone else is worried, and you clearly are, then do whatever you can to change your impact and be done with it. Write your politicians, but stop posting about it all day long for those of us that just aren't concerned for whatever our reasons are. As I have said repeatedly over the years, I believe man has had some impact, yes. But certainly in NO WAY do we understand nor can we properly quantify that impact. All species go extinct in time. All. Why should man be any different? But it won't happen while I'm still alive and likely not while my future great, great grandkids are born either.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Wait a sec, you think our tax dollars are funding oil exploration? You've got to be kidding me. The oil companies spend billions on exploration out of their own pockets. And how are our tax dollars supposed to fund innovation exactly? You have a misguided impression as to where the science and innovation actually happens, and I can tell you its not with anything the government is involved in (except the military). I've been dealing with the government for the last 25yrs from a scientific perspective, and can tell you that the greatest and brightest minds working there. Usually the conversation with them is as frustrating as this. If you're relying on NOAA and the EPA as your sources, man are you setting yourself up for disappointment.

You, and a lot of other folks else have already made up your mind based on the crap you've been fed, science be damned, so we're done. Also why ain't nothing gonna ever be changed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thread Information