Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Hatch charts and climate change

I'm not emotional or getting upset or bajiggty...I am showing the scientific communities findings...don't get mad and leave if you don't like what they have to say.I can find report after report that backs up the science. A scientist should agree with that, no? Come on, debate is healthy.

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Four pages so far, but as far as I can tell, only one attempt to answer the question in the original post, and that answer was limited to the Delaware tailwater.

Has anyone considered an "on topic" post, instead of arguing about a topic that a "certain former VP" politicized beyond belief, by picking himself as a spokesman.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

BRK TRT (1 Week Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,024 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Claw View Post
    I was wondering if anyone sees any correlation between traditional hatch charts and climate change.
    I frequently hear people say the hatches are not what they use to be. .Could it be that times have advanced. Maybe what used to happen in the first weeks of April have move to the third week of April and the fall activity is hotter and maybe the Aug and Sept activity has shifted to
    Oct/Nov Anyone have any thoughts ? I would like to hear from some guides who are on the water a good part of the weeks.
    In a word, no. If the climate is warming, our hatches would advance, not retard in timing. For macroinvertebrates, it is all about "degree days". So warmer weather in theory means warmer water which means earlier hatches. But that is not what we are seeing as a general trend. Some of that has to do with the greater influence in river temps by groundwater versus outside air temps. In warm years, our hatches come off earlier and in cool years, later. But groundwater is more a factor for river temps than is air temperature. So it won't happen as quickly as one may think given a warming climate.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,024 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/
    Here's your temperature graph, seems to correlate pretty well to that co2 graph...seems to speak for itself. Your first paragraph supports my narrative, thanks. People are the cause of climate issues or whatever you want to label it. I know its mostly the far east creating garbage and pollution, but let's pull out of all the global initiatives to try and solve the problems, instead of staying on and doing it responsibly. There is an issue, ice sheets are melting, sea levels and temperatures are rising, animal populations are being destroyed at the base of the food chain...I don't think it's going to kill us all in 20 or 30 years, or be the yuuuuge issue some science is claiming immediately, but why procrastinate? No matter the cause, something is happening and it isn't good for the earth or us. I see no reason to fight against a "greener" Earth and a cleaner earth. The only logical reason is money and profits...you can't eat or drink profits.

You sound exactly like KLG Neighbor. Exactly. So let's flip this around on you. You are all in believing man is solely to blame for our climate woes. Got it. What are YOU doing to curb that? You work in an old building that is not well insulated, meaning it is wasting energy. You drive a car to work instead of walking or riding a bike. You have no solar panels on the restaurant. You are using up valuable electricity typing on your computer, etc. If you so worry about the planet, why wait for politicians to fix things? Be the leader you so desperately are looking for and live what you preach.

And for what little it's worth, you CAN eat and drink the profits. And at nice restaurants like yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    You sound exactly like KLG Neighbor. Exactly. So let's flip this around on you. You are all in believing man is solely to blame for our climate woes. Got it. What are YOU doing to curb that? You work in an old building that is not well insulated, meaning it is wasting energy. You drive a car to work instead of walking or riding a bike. You have no solar panels on the restaurant. You are using up valuable electricity typing on your computer, etc. If you so worry about the planet, why wait for politicians to fix things? Be the leader you so desperately are looking for and live what you preach.

And for what little it's worth, you CAN eat and drink the profits. And at nice restaurants like yours
    When you don't have any facts to back up your side of the debate, attack the people that don't agree with your beliefs......

Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHeron For This Useful Post:

lightenup (1 Week Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I don't blame one man, I said his policies are not helpful to the environment...This bring me back to, change has to come from the top as one person getting a metal water bottle and riding a bike won't do shit...so let's be realistic. Rusty, I wish it was MY restaurant, I would have retired by now, and you and I could discuss these things on the river every afternoon..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey Rusty, don't blame LU for the building, it's Chris Kempczinski that should be footing the renovations.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

lightenup (1 Week Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Hey Rusty, don't blame LU for the building, it's Chris Kempczinski that should be footing the renovations.
    Most intelligent post on this thread..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,024 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I don't blame one man, I said his policies are not helpful to the environment...This bring me back to, change has to come from the top as one person getting a metal water bottle and riding a bike won't do shit...so let's be realistic. Rusty, I wish it was MY restaurant, I would have retired by now, and you and I could discuss these things on the river every afternoon..
    Change only comes from the top, you say? I have found very differently in my life experiences. Also, I did not say one man, I was saying man as in man-made, meaning all of mankind. I don't lay awake at night worrying about man's impact on our climate. But that's just me. What I don't get is those that constantly want to debate this topic never seem to live what they preach. Also, what are the current alternatives to fossil fuels we should be using that will keep our economy going while at the same time curtailing use of fossil fuels? Seems the only one that comes to mind is nuclear, and we don't have the stomach for that energy source anymore. Solar and wind remain too limited and is also fought wherever it tries to pop its head up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Change only comes from the top, you say? I have found very differently in my life experiences. Also, I did not say one man, I was saying man as in man-made, meaning all of mankind. I don't lay awake at night worrying about man's impact on our climate. But that's just me. What I don't get is those that constantly want to debate this topic never seem to live what they preach. Also, what are the current alternatives to fossil fuels we should be using that will keep our economy going while at the same time curtailing use of fossil fuels? Seems the only one that comes to mind is nuclear, and we don't have the stomach for that energy source anymore. Solar and wind remain too limited and is also fought wherever it tries to pop its head up.
    Why are they fought every time they come up? Hmmm. Holy crap. wind power causes cancer and you can't watch TV....really? I don't lay awake at night either Rusty,but people who deny facts baffle me. Yes it's man made...Just this year we released 32 billion tons of co2 into the atmosphere, that is the equivalent of 162 years of volcanic eruptions in just one year. I have more facts if you are willing to listen, but alas, your mind is made up and you are not producing any facts to back up your hypothesis. You just choose to accuse me of not doing my part...give me some facts..Good thing some vice president brought the science to our attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Why are they fought every time they come up? Hmmm. Holy crap. wind power causes cancer and you can't watch TV....really? I don't lay awake at night either Rusty,but people who deny facts baffle me. Yes it's man made...Just this year we released 32 billion tons of co2 into the atmosphere, that is the equivalent of 162 years of volcanic eruptions in just one year. I have more facts if you are willing to listen, but alas, your mind is made up and you are not producing any facts to back up your hypothesis. You just choose to accuse me of not doing my part...give me some facts..Good thing some vice president brought the science to our attention.
    But the actual science disputes that its man made. You can't seem to wrap your head around that one. You keep ignoring the simple thing that I pointed out, where the rise in CO2 levels does not correlate to a rise in temperatures as shown by the past data. Continually throwing out article after article stating "CO2 is the highest ever" doesn't make this go away.

Here's a news flash for you, we don't have as much influence over nature as we think do. We are also not the masters of our environment. Nature wins, every time.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thread Information