Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Opening day

Now it seems you can fish year round with the exception of a few places. So the question is do you miss having an opening day? I do. To me it was the un official start of spring and a time to meet up with those you havenít seen since last year. Just my two cents

Similar Threads:
    To look good is to fish good

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WBDluver For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (03-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Opening day

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    Now it seems you can fish year round with the exception of a few places. So the question is do you miss having an opening day? I do. To me it was the un official start of spring and a time to meet up with those you haven’t seen since last year. Just my two cents
    Here in NY the majority of our trout water is closed until our opening day, April 1st.

My grandfather also passed away on April 1st a few years back from his battle with leukemia. That being said, it holds a deep significance to me.

He basically raised me as I lived next door to him, he was also the one who taught me to fish, fly fish, hunt and to have a general appreciation of being outside. Thanks to him I’ve become the avid outdoorsman I am today.

Every year since then, I’ve fished on April 1st to honor his life and the important values and skills that he instilled upon me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trout Guy For This Useful Post:

hatchman (03-04-2019), MACFLY (03-03-2019), moosekid (03-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Most trout water in NJ is closed prior to opening day with the exception of special reg water - there still are some crowds and I have avoided them for the last 45 years.

NJPB

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    714 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    Now it seems you can fish year round with the exception of a few places. So the question is do you miss having an opening day? I do. To me it was the un official start of spring and a time to meet up with those you havenít seen since last year. Just my two cents

Itís funny I was thinking about this the other day. Growing up we fished whenever we could and we thoroughly enjoyed fishing the fall and even winter mainly due to the fact that no one else was on the stream. Still I was always happy to fish opening day and always looked forward to it. As more people fish in the off season I do wonder what the added pressure does to the fish.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

hatchman (03-04-2019), WBDluver (03-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Growing up in NJ I never missed opening day in NJ and NY. Opening day in N.J. was usually the Musky, Pequest or somewhere around there. NY was either the Ramapo or the Catskills. Having moved to the Catskills a few years ago , I usually pass on opening day. I don’t see much fishing in the off season in the Catskills in the off season in areas that allow it , an
    Occasional guy fishing Cairns on the Beaverkill .

Thread Information