Hatch Outdoors
    onefly is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drift Boat - What rivers are suitable NY/PA?

Having drifted the West Branch of the Delaware, I'm trying to find other locations that have enough flow to drift (I do understand with little rainfall that will presently be difficult.). I was not able to locate information on which rivers are suitable for this. Any suggestions? Targets - Eastern PA, NY, and CT

Also, WBA (West Branch Anglers) offers a rental service which is helpful because I'm not ready for a full boat commitment. Was curious about alternatives to this. Is there a service that offers rentals in the Tri-State area similar to ski equipment rentals?

In researching NY rivers I was able to find some information on various trout rivers with state documented fishing areas, specific to the river being reported on. However, topographical maps, and specific maps on rivers were very difficult to locate. Other than the standard topo. map for NY I was not able to successfully find a map with detailed river information. Have I overlooked a resource someone can comment on?

Thanks for any support!

Similar Threads:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    508 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Drift Boat - What rivers are suitable NY/PA?

Quote Originally Posted by onefly View Post
    Having drifted the West Branch of the Delaware, I'm trying to find other locations that have enough flow to drift (I do understand with little rainfall that will presently be difficult.). I was not able to locate information on which rivers are suitable for this. Any suggestions? Targets - Eastern PA, NY, and CT

Also, WBA (West Branch Anglers) offers a rental service which is helpful because I'm not ready for a full boat commitment. Was curious about alternatives to this. Is there a service that offers rentals in the Tri-State area similar to ski equipment rentals?

In researching NY rivers I was able to find some information on various trout rivers with state documented fishing areas, specific to the river being reported on. However, topographical maps, and specific maps on rivers were very difficult to locate. Other than the standard topo. map for NY I was not able to successfully find a map with detailed river information. Have I overlooked a resource someone can comment on?

Thanks for any support!
    I'll sell you my boat for a good price when you're ready.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (07-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Ramapo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    319 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    The Ramapo?
    During high water it might be possible, but it wouldn't be practical, and EVERYBODY will hate you..... If you don't want to walk or drive along the river, a canoe or kayak would be better transportation (but they'll still hate you).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for any support!
    Hi onefly -

The answer really depends on something you didn't mention, which is whether you're strictly interested in trout / salmonid water. If so, it shrinks the list of options a lot, for obvious reasons.

As far as trout water goes, I've seen drift boats on the housatonic in CT, and I know people who have floated the Deerfield in Massachusetts. Also, the Salmon River in upstate NY and the Ausable in the Adirondacks. Probably if you go further up into New England there are more options... Also, I imagine some of the Pennsylvania trout streams are floatable. The Youghigheny, an hour south of Pittsburgh, would be a nice float, and has holdover trout.

That's all the floatable trout holding rivers in the Northeast that I know - I'm sure I'm missing at least a few.

If you are also interested in warm water species, then there are tons of options of course.

Don't know of any drift boat rental companies. My guess is that there aren't any. If you spend a lot of time on and around the West Branch, I bet you could find somebody who would make a deal with you.

I would, but I spend too much time in my own boat to rent it out, and you probably wouldn't want to rent my boat anyway. It's a 17 foot blue Lavro that handles like a coal barge and is coated with about seven years of dip spit, trout slime, and Genesee Cream Ale. Good news is you don't need a boat launch - you can just throw it off a bridge into your favorite fishing hole:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    298 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Mudbug, I thought you were going to lose your boat on that quick rock launch!

Lehigh River for trout and smallmouth, Susquehanna & Juniata for smallmouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

... In researching NY rivers I was able to find some information on various trout rivers...
    Oh, duh - missed that first time around.

Try the Deerfield! There's a certain member of this site who is big into the sartorial side of fly fishing and also the metrosexual side (which are the same side I guess), who has talked up that particular river in the past.

I always assumed he was trying to lure people away from some other river he didn't mention, because that would have been the smart thing to do, so if you can actually corroborate that the Deerfield is worth floating, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Hi onefly -

The answer really depends on something you didn't mention, which is whether you're strictly interested in trout / salmonid water. If so, it shrinks the list of options a lot, for obvious reasons.

As far as trout water goes, I've seen drift boats on the housatonic in CT, and I know people who have floated the Deerfield in Massachusetts. Also, the Salmon River in upstate NY and the Ausable in the Adirondacks. Probably if you go further up into New England there are more options... Also, I imagine some of the Pennsylvania trout streams are floatable. The Youghigheny, an hour south of Pittsburgh, would be a nice float, and has holdover trout.

That's all the floatable trout holding rivers in the Northeast that I know - I'm sure I'm missing at least a few.

If you are also interested in warm water species, then there are tons of options of course.

Don't know of any drift boat rental companies. My guess is that there aren't any. If you spend a lot of time on and around the West Branch, I bet you could find somebody who would make a deal with you.

I would, but I spend too much time in my own boat to rent it out, and you probably wouldn't want to rent my boat anyway. It's a 17 foot blue Lavro that handles like a coal barge and is coated with about seven years of dip spit, chub slime, and Genesee Cream Ale. Good news is you don't need a boat launch - you can just throw it off a bridge into your favorite fishing hole:

fixed it for you.

i fished the deerfield last summer and it was really nice water. got into some fish too.

if you're a novice rower, it's definitely not the river for you. the releases change throughout the day, and from what I understand it can get dangerous quickly if you don't know what you're doing.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think it would be great anytime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    691 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Van Campen should be a good drift after this week....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (07-24-2018), tompg (07-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

One lesser tried area is central NYS. Tioughnioga, Cohecton, Otselic and others have sections that can be drifted. However, the driftable water is more towards warmwater than cold water fisheries. Boating starts around the brown/smallie boundary. Most of us Salmon R fishers go by the best part of the Tioughnioga which is in the steep valley just west of Rte 81 south of Cortland.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (07-24-2018), tompg (07-27-2018)

Thread Information