Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: mayflies on the neversink

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    After an April and May with no wading for the most part, I guess I can't be surprised. Although I must say that last Friday wasn't too bad all things considered. Now that flows allow both drifting and wading, it will be zany for awhile.
    Seems like there's a serious herd mentality at work up there.

Every year, there are 4-5 weekends that are completely ridiculous on the West Branch and Upper Main Stem. I've counted 50+ trailers at the Buckingham pullout. Of course, with a hundred miles of trout holding river (depending on temps), there are plenty of other great spots to fish at those times, just gotta think outside the box a bit, as trout nazi did. Even on the most crowded weekends, there are spots that are very quiet.

Outside of those weekends (usually maybe 3-4 in spring and one in fall), the WB and upper Main are waaaay less crowded. If I only visited the WB on a prime May weekend when it was a parking lot, I'd probably never come back. But you can go up for a weekend in late June or early July or October, and have even the best pools to yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

A strategy that's worked out well for me when I'm wading is to fish above or below the most popular put-ins and pullouts. Wade up from Sheehawken and fish it in the AM, while everybody's putting in either below you or way above you. You'll have the river basically to yourself.

Wade below Buck in late afternoon (great water there) and you'll only have one or two kayakers pass you, because everybody's taking out above, and the next public drift boat launch is a long way downstream.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (06-07-2018), Trout Nazi (06-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Out of the box for me usually involves steep embankments, a maze of knotweed, and long walks, and difficult return trips in the dark. The results are usually rewarding though. Usually.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    Hey Charlie. I'm thinking of making the trek into the gorge this weekend if I can find the time to sit down and tie a few flies beforehand. What patterns have been working down there?
    If you have rising fish, they're not gonna be too picky. Have your favorite caddis patterns. The hendricksons will be done and the only other real mayfly hatch that happens down there is ISOs (bwos early in the day if it's cloudy).

It's been a couple weeks, but I would imagine that the stoneflies are hatching -- so searching with big stimulator patterns will probably bring fish to the surface when nothing's rising. Stimulator w/ a dropper is super fun in the pocket water this time a year.

Tie a bunch of nymphs 'cos you'll lose a ton. I really like a size 14 holy grail for caddis. You really don't need to be too specific down there 'cos the fish aren't very picky -- just have your bases covered on size/profile.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Bugs have declined on the Neversink big time over the past 5 years or so even up River. Some are even Non-Existent.

Henricksons are weak, almost no Blue Quills.The Sulphur's last maybe a week.Once you get to the summer its all Tiny Olives (26) and Midge.Caddis are decent at times.

To much Silt.There are no March Browns,Drakes, or ISO'S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JOE.T View Post
    The Bugs have declined on the Neversink big time over the past 5 years or so even up River. Some are even Non-Existent.

Henricksons are weak, almost no Blue Quills.The Sulphur's last maybe a week.Once you get to the summer its all Tiny Olives (26) and Midge.Caddis are decent at times.

To much Silt.There are no March Browns,Drakes, or ISO'S.
    The last big flood events that would have scoured the river was '06 which is a long time ago now, but the drakes are burrowing insects and prefer silt. The others are not, and I can see why they would suffer some, especially clingers like March Browns.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The Neversink has never had the bug life like the Beaverkill or Willow. Just not enough nutrition. There's are a fun book by Leonard wright on his efforts to boost fishing onhte Neversink.

https://www.amazon.com/Neversink-Leo.../dp/0385308000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Yes and no. Leonard Wright was discussing the upper Neversink above the reservoir which is an infertile gin clear mountain stream and has practically no public access. It is like talking about the Willow above the village of Willowemoc or the Beaverkill above the club water. Below the reservoir it is a tailwater and had great hatches in some places. However, much of the water goes to NYC and the tailwater can get skinny in the summer. The best Hendrickson hatch I ever experienced was in the Neversink below the reservoir. The hatch lasted 3 hours and I caught 6 fish over 18" among boatloads of others, better than I ever did on the Beaverkill. The lower Neversink was a reliable early Hendrickson stream, but for the last two years I have struggled to find much action. Plenty of waiting, seeing a handful of bugs and a couple of risers and hoping for a fish or two. Can't find that consistent surface action.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (06-14-2018), tompg (06-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I used fish the Neversink much more often than these days. Had some great days but was never lucky enough to get a big hatch. Some decent hatches in the gorge. The club water in the BK gets some great hatches. The drakes can get out of control. Have only been above the club water a few times...brookie territory for sure. It's bigger up there than I thought. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catskills (6).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	12749

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    The last big flood events that would have scoured the river was '06 which is a long time ago now, but the drakes are burrowing insects and prefer silt. The others are not, and I can see why they would suffer some, especially clingers like March Browns.
    I'm not being bragadocious here, but I have fished the Neversink for 32 years and live 20 minutes from there.So I would consider myself an expert on that River.

There never have been Drakes on that River,The river is on the acidic side of the scale which is why certain insects cannot thrive there.There used to be Potamanthus but they disappeared years ago.

Neversink by Lenny Wright is a great book if you like the Neversink.

JOE.T

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.T For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (06-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I fished there last week and there was a decent sulfur hatch going on. After telling my brother "they don't stock this river", i caught a fat hatchery rainbow. A few minutes later i got a big brown on on a soft hackle. Toward evening i had a pig sipping the duns in "glass-like" water and my fly had the tippet laying on top which raised the red flag to this huge brown. If I had some 7x flourocarbon, i think the tippet would have sunk into the film and maybe gotten a take. But who knows. Joe T, what say you?

Thread Information