1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Bamboo rod whatsit

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    You paid too much for it, didn't you?

It's got a "59" written on it...
    "59"= inspectors number I honestly can't remember how I came across owning it, I've had it forever.....It had the Milward reel attached to it that I asked about in the thread below.
    http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=28081

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
    Swamprat. My opinion leans toward a Phillipson Paragon, but I think that the tip section is from a different rod. Tbe butt and mids are wrapped in the correct colors for the Paragon, and the 59 8 1/2 - 5 HEH is consistent with the way the rod would be marked. That 59 refers to an employee number at the rod shop, and the 5 is the weight in ounces. An HEH would be equivalent to a double-taper 6-weight line. The 3 decorative wraps and the look of the winding check are consistent with the Phillipson, as are the grip style. Yes, it is odd that it doesn’t have Phillipson Paragon written in script, but it also doesn’t have a South Bend label either. The script could have wiped off if someone refinished the rod. I have a Phillipson Pacemaker where the script is very faint.

If the ferrules fit well, then line the rod and see how it casts. You can always just tape a guide to fill in for the one missing in the mid, just to see if the rod casts well enough to be fishable. These are the fun issues when dealing with old cane that needs some work. Have fun with it.
    Thanks Barleywine, great advice....yes, the ferrules fit well but it's obvious the tip section doesn't match....they all make a nice "pop" when you pull them apart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    "59"= inspectors number I honestly can't remember how I came across owning it, I've had it forever.....It had the Milward reel attached to it that I asked about in the thread below.
    http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=28081
    This guy has a rod inspected by the same guy!!!!!

https://flyrods.weebly.com/the-plian...bend-rod-codes

What a small world...

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

This guy has a rod inspected by the same guy!!!!!

https://flyrods.weebly.com/the-plian...bend-rod-codes

What a small world...
    You know I'm just messin' with ya, right?
    I don't have a clue about grass rods....

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

You know I'm just messin' with ya, right?
    I don't have a clue about grass rods....
    I don't either!! Hahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Mark this off as solved....I'm calling it a Phillipson Paragon even if it isn't signed, here are some photos from different sites.
    This (below) is from the web

Next three below this are mine

Next one below this is from the web

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Swamprat -

I haven't been on for a while or I woulda jumped in earlier. I don't know anything about bamboo either but inherited a couple of rods from a neighbor and posted about it awhile back. One says Phillipson Paragon and looks similar to what you have.

Check out this post - http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...hlight=paragon

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

To anyone living near enough Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon, NJ, take your boo in on a weekend and ask for George or Eric (typically only George will be in). Both are excellent at identifying bamboo, telling you what it would cost to repair or refurbish, and what the rod is worth. They are as good as any I know when it comes to that stuff.

I refurbished a Montague a few years back with their help or should say I had it sent out and refurbished with their help. My only effort was writing the check....

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by browntrout27 View Post
    Swamprat -

I haven't been on for a while or I woulda jumped in earlier. I don't know anything about bamboo either but inherited a couple of rods from a neighbor and posted about it awhile back. One says Phillipson Paragon and looks similar to what you have.

Check out this post - http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...hlight=paragon
    Thanks for the info and link, nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    To anyone living near enough Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon, NJ, take your boo in on a weekend and ask for George or Eric (typically only George will be in). Both are excellent at identifying bamboo, telling you what it would cost to repair or refurbish, and what the rod is worth. They are as good as any I know when it comes to that stuff.

I refurbished a Montague a few years back with their help or should say I had it sent out and refurbished with their help. My only effort was writing the check....
    Thanks for the info, nice to meet you. I'll have to check out Shannons...I had one restorer tell me he doesn't do new tips (which I need) and another guy told me that for the cost of the repair (He rough estimated 450.00) I could buy a ready-to-fish rod similar to what I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Thanks for the info and link, nice to meet you.

Thanks for the info, nice to meet you. I'll have to check out Shannons...I had one restorer tell me he doesn't do new tips (which I need) and another guy told me that for the cost of the repair (He rough estimated 450.00) I could buy a ready-to-fish rod similar to what I have.
    I used Dennis Menscer who is a bamboo rod maker and restorer out of the Roscoe, NY area. He sells new rods at Shannon's and handles most of their repairs and restorations. Even with a heft tab to restore my Montague and give me a second tip section which was not with the rod a friend gave me, it was still worth several hundred more than the restoration cost in the end. But mine was done for sentimental reasons, not for financial reasons. I fish my boo once or twice a year for nostalgic purposes, but far prefer graphite rods to the super slow action of grass.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    I used Dennis Menscer who is a bamboo rod maker and restorer out of the Roscoe, NY area. He sells new rods at Shannon's and handles most of their repairs and restorations. Even with a heft tab to restore my Montague and give me a second tip section which was not with the rod a friend gave me, it was still worth several hundred more than the restoration cost in the end. But mine was done for sentimental reasons, not for financial reasons. I fish my boo once or twice a year for nostalgic purposes, but far prefer graphite rods to the super slow action of grass.
    I have no money in this rod so that easily justifies a resto job, no sentimental value other than having it forever. I'll look up Dennis Menscer, Thanks!

Thread Information