Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Famous people you met while fly fishing

Who's the most famous person you ever met ,just by chance , while fly fishing? Mines Lee Wulff ,just before he died . It wasn't actually while on the water ,I was fishing the Beavekill and The West Branch and it was a rainy day and I stopped into the Catskills Fly fishing museum and he was there tying dry flys by hand ,no vice in front of a few people.I also met a Retired General from the Pentagon while fishing at Hale Eddy back in the 80's. He was also a pilot in Vietnam nam . We had a four hour conversation about life in general , He was one of the most intelligent and thoughtful person I ever met. He gave me a ride back to my Truck and My fishing license fell off.in his car. A week later my license came in the mail with a full page letter about the things we talked about. I still have that letter to this day.
    Anyway,enough of my driffle ,who's the most famous person you met while fishing.

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Famous people you met while fly fishing

I met Barry Beck in Benton PA a few years ago.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyman23 For This Useful Post:

hatchman (12-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    688 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Famous people....I met Matt Grobert once in the gorge, isn't he famous? I also got yelled at by Kelly Galloup...does that count?

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (12-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Meeting Barry Beck would be pretty cool, I did meet Nick Fotiu once but I was skiing at the time. Sad to say but the most famous person I've ever met while fly fishing was that YouTube guy Christian/AstroCamper. He was nice enough but kind of low on the famous scale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cocopelao For This Useful Post:

hatchman (12-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Joe Humphrey, Ed Shenk on the Yellow Breeches. Also met the Editor of GB magazine

To look good is to fish good

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WBDluver For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (12-21-2017), golden beetle (12-24-2017), Rusty Spinner (12-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    Joe Humphrey, Ed Shenk on the Yellow Breeches. Also met the Editor of GB magazine
    Pretty cool always admired Joe Humphreys

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchman For This Useful Post:

Thursthouse (12-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Met Jack Gartside; did not know who he was, chatted a little and later that day saw him in a bar in West Yellowstone, introduced myself an a about the days fishing. He told me his name and then remembered who he was "the original trout bum".

Met George Daniels on the West Branch. Who else is 6ft something and carries two nymphing rods.

Met a couple more "famous" people however the circumstances were less than ideal. Told them to pound sand!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Famous people....I met Matt Grobert once in the gorge, isn't he famous? I also got yelled at by Kelly Galloup...does that count?
    Let's hear the Galloup story...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    688 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thursthouse View Post
    Let's hear the Galloup story...

Ok, so I went to Montana with another NEFF board memeber and we stayed at The Slide Inn, Kelly's place. We fished The Park(Yellowstone) .....it was extremely windy, not uncommon for those parts....BWO olives were hatching and fish were rising everywhere...you couldn't put a fly over them though as the wind was unforgiving, we tried everything, I believe my fishing partner caught one fish, and I got the skunk....very frustrating, so we decided to head back to the slide and "redeem" ourselves in "the kiddie pool" it is on slide property, and also know as the willow pool...anyway, we pulled into the slide as the sun was setting and proceeded to suit up, when Mr. Galloup came tearing through the lot in his pick-up, skidded to a stop in front of us, and came yelling, "you can't fish her unless you are staying at the slide" ..."you need to leave NOW!"
    We looked at each other giggled a bit, and almost responded before he calmly said...ohhh, it's you two, sorry, have fun.....I think he had a few.....anyway, it wasn't a big deal and we caught a few nice fish before the sun fully set. BTW, if you ever stay at the slide, fish the kiddie pool, I swear Kelly catches monster fish and relocates them there.....they take and run into the current before you can turn them, unless you have heavy heavy tippet they snap you off before you have a chance....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Thursthouse (12-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    318 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I wasn't actually fishing .... But I met Brian Cowden on the banks of the Ramapo.

I think he counts as famous because the editors of Trout magazine completely ignored the guy who was running the "Rock Rolling" project, and gave Brian all the publicity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

I once met Aaron Jasper while fishing, does that count?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Francis Betters and Art Flick when I was a kid. At both times I had no idea who either of them were.

I met Betters on the Ausable when I was 15 and Flick on the Beaverkill when I was 13.

Both funny stories.

Betters, I never heard of him when I met him . My father knew exactly who he was and probably want to cringe with what I said to him . He told me he was the inventor of the Ausable Wolff . I said big deal, I never caught anything on it. He laughed and said "well sometimes the fish are not the most accommodating of creatures. He said " The reason we fish is because they are not so easily swayed" . That line always stuck with me and open my eyes to what Fly Fishing is.

I was fishing Carin's on the BK . I have been only Fly fishing for only a season. I saw this older guy downstream from me. I frustrated wasn't catching anything . Fish were rising. I was walking between riffs. This older guy asked how I was doing . I said not too good. He said "try this fly" . He handed me a size 14 BWO. I said thanks and walked way . I father was watching what was transpiring and laughing. He said said "you know who that was don't you". I said No who was it. "You have his book in your vest". No way. He said "open the book ( Art Flicks stream side guide) and look at his picture". It was Art Flick and I was oblivious to who he was. To this day I have that fly taped in the book.

Also:

I was taught to cast by Lefty Krey at a young age. Maybe 14-16

Antler and Finn use to be a Gun/ Fly shop in Frenchtown. They had a grand opening for the shop on a Saturday in late March. I think it was 82 or 83 . Lefty was there for the event. Not a lot of people show up . He spent a good portion of the day helping me hone my casting skills. At the time I did not realize what opportunity and honor it was to get private lessons From Lefty.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomfly For This Useful Post:

FIN-ITE 34 (12-22-2017), Thursthouse (12-22-2017)

Thread Information