Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    What style of restaurant?

    Having mentioned before that we bought the closed Roods Creek Diner on Route 17 between Hancock and Deposit at the blinking light over the summer. I'd like to know your thoughts on what type of restaurant you think we should open there.
    Here's our current list of ideas.

    1. Coffee and donut place with a drive thru with quality coffee,fresh made donuts,breakfast sandwiches etc.
    With fresh made hard ice cream.
    2. All American Hot dog and Hamburger joint with fresh made Hamburgers (ala 5 guys,smash burger etc.)quality Hot dogs (Sabrett) ,fresh cut fries ,also serving breakfast etc. with fresh made hard ice cream.
    3.Fried Chicken joint with fresh battered fried chicken and sides .
    4. New York style pizza place.
    5. Gay strip bar with table dancers, with a purple velvet lounge VIP room with free coffee ( not really ,I just wanted Beetle to have something to vote for!Lol!!)
    6. Sell it to a wealthy Dunkin Donuts franchise for an obscene profit and quit working and just fish for a year.
    Except for #5 (sorry Beetle) these are the ideas me and the little woman are thinking about.

    Let me know what the Neff family thinks. Between you guys and all the truckers I know it will surely look like the Star Wars bar when it opens!

    Similar Threads:

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchman For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (12-19-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,823
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,600
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,054
    Thanked in
    680 Posts
    Chats
    3059
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 32 Times in 32 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Tough choice but I would think 1 or 2 is the ticket. Or maybe combine them

    Still though I a, guessing you pull net tens of dollars with beetle headlining your gay bar

    Tough choice indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchman View Post
    Having mentioned before that we bought the closed Roods Creek Diner on Route 17 between Hancock and Deposit at the blinking light over the summer. I'd like to know your thoughts on what type of restaurant you think we should open there.
    Here's our current list of ideas.

    1. Coffee and donut place with a drive thru with quality coffee,fresh made donuts,breakfast sandwiches etc.
    With fresh made hard ice cream.
    2. All American Hot dog and Hamburger joint with fresh made Hamburgers (ala 5 guys,smash burger etc.)quality Hot dogs (Sabrett) ,fresh cut fries ,also serving breakfast etc. with fresh made hard ice cream.
    3.Fried Chicken joint with fresh battered fried chicken and sides .
    4. New York style pizza place.
    5. Gay strip bar with table dancers, with a purple velvet lounge VIP room with free coffee ( not really ,I just wanted Beetle to have something to vote for!Lol!!)
    6. Sell it to a wealthy Dunkin Donuts franchise for an obscene profit and quit working and just fish for a year.
    Except for #5 (sorry Beetle) these are the ideas me and the little woman are thinking about.

    Let me know what the Neff family thinks. Between you guys and all the truckers I know it will surely look like the Star Wars bar when it opens!


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

    hatchman (12-19-2017)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    1 and 2 are our first choices too. There will be a designated drift boat and raft parking .
    If the the Gay strip bar materializes there will be a Kayak and Paddleboat rack and Beetle will Headline on Vilage people Karoke night.


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchman For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (12-20-2017), Rusty Spinner (12-21-2017)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    160
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    465
    Thanked in
    310 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    # 6, but don't limit it to Dunkin, anybody who can make you rich.

    While you're waiting for that to happen, do what you're good at, but whoever has the higher income should not quit his/her day job.


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    382
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    60
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    118
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Deposit and Hancock already have hamburgers, hotdogs, and ice cream for days. I'd go with really good donuts or something else unique.

    But let me ask - that stretch of road is supposed to (eventually) be converted into an interstate, and I believe this will mean eliminating at-grade intersections and driveways. The project is decades behind schedule, but is still conceivably going to happen in the next 10-20 years, especially if an infrastructure plan gets passed in washington. (not holding my breath)

    Will this affect your business? Sure you've thought about this - would hate for somebody to set up a restaurant to serve the highway and then get cut off from it.


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Deposit and Hancock already have hamburgers, hotdogs, and ice cream for days. I'd go with really good donuts or something else unique.

    But let me ask - that stretch of road is supposed to (eventually) be converted into an interstate, and I believe this will mean eliminating at-grade intersections and driveways. The project is decades behind schedule, but is still conceivably going to happen in the next 10-20 years, especially if an infrastructure plan gets passed in washington. (not holding my breath)

    Will this affect your business? Sure you've thought about this - would hate for somebody to set up a restaurant to serve the highway and then get cut off from it.
    That was true. The State spent $98 million on the Parksville bypass to eliminate that stop light and Made Parksville a Ghost town.
    They planned to do the same at the blinking light Where the Diner is
    . For ten years I inquired about it and was told the State had control
    Of it and the bypass was a definite . They decided the logistics and costs were too great to bypass the blinking light and changed the parameters of the project and cancelled the bypass there and put the
    Diner up for sale . I was told this by the head of the project in the State DOT department in Binghamton .its the only reason it was put up for sale for its back taxes, which they had to do since the bypass there was cancelled.


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    382
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    60
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    118
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchman View Post
    That was true. The State spent $98 million on the Parksville bypass to eliminate that stop light and Made Parksville a Ghost town.
    They planned to do the same at the blinking light Where the Diner is
    . For ten years I inquired about it and was told the State had control
    Of it and the bypass was a definite . They decided the logistics and costs were too great to bypass the blinking light and changed the parameters of the project and cancelled the bypass there and put the
    Diner up for sale . I was told this by the head of the project in the State DOT department in Binghamton .its the only reason it was put up for sale for its back taxes, which they had to do since the bypass there was cancelled.

    Makes sense. Sorry for assuming you might be a moron who needed protecting from his own bad decisions. You never know.


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Makes sense. Sorry for assuming you might be a moron who needed protecting from his own bad decisions. You never know.
    No problem. I appreciate the heads up. I might not have known that.
    The Guyanan guy who bought the Mobil station where the light used to be in Parksville didnít know about the coming bypass there, and paid $375,000 just for the business there not the property about a year or so before they started construction for the bypass. He also
    Paid very expensive rent there. He went broke when the bypass opened and would sit in there with the lights out and drink himself
    Half to death. The guy was an arrogant asshole who wore a Mohawk
    And a hunting knife on his hip and treated his employees like shit before the bypass when it was busy. Karma is a mean mistress when you get on her bad side ....


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,318
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,166
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,005
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    Chats
    4391
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Sell it to the highest bidder, make a profit and have fun, the restaurant business is a shitty grind, can be rewarding and fulfilling, but rough to say the least....At at least make sure you close early enough so you don't miss all the evening hatches, one of my biggest complaints is working evenings...

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Roselle Park, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,453
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    733
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,033
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Chats
    1310
    Groans
    17
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchman View Post
    Having mentioned before that we bought the closed Roods Creek Diner on Route 17 between Hancock and Deposit at the blinking light over the summer. I'd like to know your thoughts on what type of restaurant you think we should open there.
    Here's our current list of ideas.

    1. Coffee and donut place with a drive thru with quality coffee,fresh made donuts,breakfast sandwiches etc.
    With fresh made hard ice cream.
    2. All American Hot dog and Hamburger joint with fresh made Hamburgers (ala 5 guys,smash burger etc.)quality Hot dogs (Sabrett) ,fresh cut fries ,also serving breakfast etc. with fresh made hard ice cream.
    3.Fried Chicken joint with fresh battered fried chicken and sides .
    4. New York style pizza place.
    5. Gay strip bar with table dancers, with a purple velvet lounge VIP room with free coffee ( not really ,I just wanted Beetle to have something to vote for!Lol!!)
    6. Sell it to a wealthy Dunkin Donuts franchise for an obscene profit and quit working and just fish for a year.
    Except for #5 (sorry Beetle) these are the ideas me and the little woman are thinking about.

    Let me know what the Neff family thinks. Between you guys and all the truckers I know it will surely look like the Star Wars bar when it opens!
    I have to say, I'm rather surprised that Mac didn't jump on number 5. I'm all about 1 and 2 but you're going to have to do it right. One example of doing it incorrectly is hiring a guy like Lightenup to flip the burgers and turn the dogs properly.

    You'll probably only do well 5 months out of the year, probably when you would want to be on the water.

    Anybody can make burgers and rotate hot dogs, you're going to have to be unique. Get a good doughnut recipe and run with it, I think that would do well.

    Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    Talking Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Sell it to the highest bidder, make a profit and have fun, the restaurant business is a shitty grind, can be rewarding and fulfilling, but rough to say the least....At at least make sure you close early enough so you don't miss all the evening hatches, one of my biggest complaints is working evenings...
    We were seriously thinking about selling it. I know a very wealthy guy who owns a bunch of Truck stops , Burger Kings etc who I talked to who would be interested in putting a Dunkin Donuts there.
    After talking about it we decided to keep it and do a simple concept there. Iíve owned successful restaurants before and sold them. Iíve also been in the restaurant equipment and supply business and seen
    Many people sink everything they had into places and go belly up within a year. The restaurant business is a very tough business and I usually warn people myself to stay out of it. I know I can make
    Money there with the right concept. Thereís nothing else on the highway for a long way. You have to get off an exit, which many travelers and truckers donít like to do. Iím more concerned with
    Having public bathrooms on an interstate highway. People will do
    Things you wouldnít imagine to your bathrooms , and Iím not talking
    About Beetle hanging out in the Menís room looking for Love, weíll have a fire hose hooked up to handle that!!


  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchman For This Useful Post:

    lightenup (12-20-2017), MACFLY (12-20-2017)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Afton NY/Deposit NY
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: What style of restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    I have to say, I'm rather surprised that Mac didn't jump on number 5. I'm all about 1 and 2 but you're going to have to do it right. One example of doing it incorrectly is hiring a guy like Lightenup to flip the burgers and turn the dogs properly.

    You'll probably only do well 5 months out of the year, probably when you would want to be on the water.

    Anybody can make burgers and rotate hot dogs, you're going to have to be unique. Get a good doughnut recipe and run with it, I think that would do well.
    We’re leaning towards the Coffee Donut concept ourselves.Pretty profitable and fairly simple with right equipment.As far as being
    Busy only 5 months , it’s definitely busier inthe summer travel
    Season , but it’s a busy Highway year round. I was told 17,000 cars and
    Trucks a day and definitely more on Fridays.We bought a farm here about a year and a half ago( I’m not a farmer, we just loved the house and property ) and live about 20 minutes from the Diner and being here
    Year round you can see how busy the highway is . It’s not route 17 in Paramus��, but it’s still a fairly busy highway, and there’s nothing else on the highway .


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchman For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (12-20-2017)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •