Hatch Outdoors
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

Hello-
    Besides ants, I have not taken a lot of time to fish with other terrestrials, such as hoppers on the Upper Delaware. I am looking to change things up a little bit and wondering if anyone has experience and success blind casting hoppers to the banks from a drift boat. Thought it would give a nice summer option to fishing streamers while hunting for risers. Just not sure if these bugs are prolific enough for fish to be looking for them.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Regards,
    Troutwink

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 941 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 82 Times in 67 Posts

Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Troutwink View Post
    Hello-
    Besides ants, I have not taken a lot of time to fish with other terrestrials, such as hoppers on the Upper Delaware. I am looking to change things up a little bit and wondering if anyone has experience and success blind casting hoppers to the banks from a drift boat. Thought it would give a nice summer option to fishing streamers while hunting for risers. Just not sure if these bugs are prolific enough for fish to be looking for them.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Regards,
    Troutwink
    Lots of good options for summer fishing on the Delaware, just depends on how much time you have.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to golden beetle For This Useful Post:

emoussa (08-06-2017), lightenup (08-07-2017), moosekid (08-08-2017)

falcon is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

I read somewhere (maybe Weamer's book) that because the Delaware runs basically North to South prevailing winds are usually Up or down and not cross river which blows hoppers into the river. Also the wooded banks are not great hopper habitat. However, I have talked to a person that experienced good hopper action above the Shehawken riffle. It may not be a regular occurrence.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

I wouldn't try to fish with Golden Beetles, they never catch anything, if they do, I hear they smell like coffee....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (08-07-2017)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I wouldn't try to fish with Golden Beetles, they never catch anything, if they do, I hear they smell like coffee....

I actually tried throwing hoppers this weekend on the main with the nice temps we had. Didn't get a trout to take but got a few on a dropper which really doesnt say anything about them looking up. The hatches on the lower wb suck right now with almost no bug life to speak of so you prob would have your best bet there. They fish are going to be more willing to eat attrators in areas where there are less options available. I wouldnt go crazy on the pattern size. Dave's hopper sz 10-14 is what I would use or a similar realistic cricket type pattern. Beetles and ants have always worked for me up there with this being peak season for those.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (08-07-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've had decent luck in August with ants and beetles as well, especially when strong NE winds are blowing bugs from fields. Never hit the flying ant hatch, but hear that can be good.

Never did well with hoppers, but one day saw three guys fishing live hoppers using center pin outfits below the Hale Eddy bridge. They just clobbered fish, so maybe a sunk grasshopper would work?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (08-07-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I actually tried throwing hoppers this weekend on the main with the nice temps we had. Didn't get a trout to take but got a few on a dropper which really doesnt say anything about them looking up. The hatches on the lower wb suck right now with almost no bug life to speak of so you prob would have your best bet there. They fish are going to be more willing to eat attrators in areas where there are less options available. I wouldnt go crazy on the pattern size. Dave's hopper sz 10-14 is what I would use or a similar realistic cricket type pattern. Beetles and ants have always worked for me up there with this being peak season for those.
    great olive hatch yesterday on the lower west yesterday. granted it was a textbook cold-cloudy-ass-day. best fishing i've had in a while.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thread Information