Hatch Outdoors
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    Hello-
    Besides ants, I have not taken a lot of time to fish with other terrestrials, such as hoppers on the Upper Delaware. I am looking to change things up a little bit and wondering if anyone has experience and success blind casting hoppers to the banks from a drift boat. Thought it would give a nice summer option to fishing streamers while hunting for risers. Just not sure if these bugs are prolific enough for fish to be looking for them.

    Thanks in advance for your insight.

    Regards,
    Troutwink

    Similar Threads:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,617
    Thanks
    1,609
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 941 Posts
    Chats
    1088
    Groans
    92
    Groaned 82 Times in 67 Posts


    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Troutwink View Post
    Hello-
    Besides ants, I have not taken a lot of time to fish with other terrestrials, such as hoppers on the Upper Delaware. I am looking to change things up a little bit and wondering if anyone has experience and success blind casting hoppers to the banks from a drift boat. Thought it would give a nice summer option to fishing streamers while hunting for risers. Just not sure if these bugs are prolific enough for fish to be looking for them.

    Thanks in advance for your insight.

    Regards,
    Troutwink
    Lots of good options for summer fishing on the Delaware, just depends on how much time you have.


  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to golden beetle For This Useful Post:

    emoussa (08-06-2017), lightenup (08-07-2017), moosekid (08-08-2017)

  4. #3
    falcon is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    I read somewhere (maybe Weamer's book) that because the Delaware runs basically North to South prevailing winds are usually Up or down and not cross river which blows hoppers into the river. Also the wooded banks are not great hopper habitat. However, I have talked to a person that experienced good hopper action above the Shehawken riffle. It may not be a regular occurrence.


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,082
    Thanks
    2,054
    Thanked 940 Times in 626 Posts
    Chats
    4327
    Groans
    24
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    I wouldn't try to fish with Golden Beetles, they never catch anything, if they do, I hear they smell like coffee....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

    dcabarle (08-07-2017)

  7. #5
    flyI4's Avatar
    flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,263
    Thanks
    516
    Thanked 573 Times in 258 Posts
    Chats
    307
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I wouldn't try to fish with Golden Beetles, they never catch anything, if they do, I hear they smell like coffee....

    I actually tried throwing hoppers this weekend on the main with the nice temps we had. Didn't get a trout to take but got a few on a dropper which really doesnt say anything about them looking up. The hatches on the lower wb suck right now with almost no bug life to speak of so you prob would have your best bet there. They fish are going to be more willing to eat attrators in areas where there are less options available. I wouldnt go crazy on the pattern size. Dave's hopper sz 10-14 is what I would use or a similar realistic cricket type pattern. Beetles and ants have always worked for me up there with this being peak season for those.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (08-07-2017)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Posts
    2,575
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 676 Times in 390 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts


    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    I've had decent luck in August with ants and beetles as well, especially when strong NE winds are blowing bugs from fields. Never hit the flying ant hatch, but hear that can be good.

    Never did well with hoppers, but one day saw three guys fishing live hoppers using center pin outfits below the Hale Eddy bridge. They just clobbered fish, so maybe a sunk grasshopper would work?


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (08-07-2017)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    562
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
    Chats
    278
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Hoppers on the Upper Delaware(?)

    Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I actually tried throwing hoppers this weekend on the main with the nice temps we had. Didn't get a trout to take but got a few on a dropper which really doesnt say anything about them looking up. The hatches on the lower wb suck right now with almost no bug life to speak of so you prob would have your best bet there. They fish are going to be more willing to eat attrators in areas where there are less options available. I wouldnt go crazy on the pattern size. Dave's hopper sz 10-14 is what I would use or a similar realistic cricket type pattern. Beetles and ants have always worked for me up there with this being peak season for those.
    great olive hatch yesterday on the lower west yesterday. granted it was a textbook cold-cloudy-ass-day. best fishing i've had in a while.

    Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 6

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •