Royal Wulff Products
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 190 Times in 133 Posts
    Chats
    11
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Oregon and Washington

    I just booked a flight out to Portland for next week. My friend and I will be traveling north to Seattle and I'm hoping to get into some fishing as well. Anyone ever fish out there? Your input would be much appreciated.

    Similar Threads:

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to emoussa For This Useful Post:

    MACFLY (07-17-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,800
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,559
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 679 Posts
    Chats
    3024
    Groans
    26
    Groaned 31 Times in 31 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    I just booked a flight out to Portland for next week. My friend and I will be traveling north to Seattle and I'm hoping to get into some fishing as well. Anyone ever fish out there? Your input would be much appreciated.
    Plenty of options just really depends on how much time you have

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanks
    1,609
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 941 Posts
    Chats
    1088
    Groans
    92
    Groaned 82 Times in 67 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Plenty of options just really depends on how much time you have
    That's a pretty good answer, emoussa.

    Pretty much covers it, so I have nothing to add.

    Have you tried asking Siri?


  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to golden beetle For This Useful Post:

    emoussa (07-18-2017), lightenup (07-18-2017), moosekid (07-18-2017), mudbug201 (07-18-2017), Rusty Spinner (07-18-2017)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 115 Times in 77 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    I just booked a flight out to Portland for next week. My friend and I will be traveling north to Seattle and I'm hoping to get into some fishing as well. Anyone ever fish out there? Your input would be much appreciated.
    So, I'm assuming you don't have time for a 2-3 day side trip?

    If you did, you could go south from Portland and have great summer smallmouth fishing on the Umpqua. There are sections of that river where the smallie count is upwards of 4000 fish per mile - five, six, ten aggressive bronze-backs behind every rock. Had one of the most fun fishing trips of my life on that river - a bachelor party trip for my cousin.

    Or, you could drive to Seattle, then drive an hour or two east on I-90 to the Yakima river, which has great summer fly fishing for rainbows and cutthroat on terrestrials. I grew up fishing that river in the summer. Ideally fished from a boat, but if you stop in at the fly shop in Cle Elum, they can point you to some great wade spots. The fish aren't huge in that river, but they are feisty and hungry, and there are lots of them.

    Last thing that comes to mind is detouring west into the Olympic Peninsula. The Sol Duc and the Elwha rivers have trout in them. Neither is big water - these are mountain streams. The Elwha empties into Puget Sound near Port Angeles and the Sol Duc runs west through the mountains and empties into the Pacific. I haven't fished those rivers much. The OP is beautiful country though, rocky coastline, temperate rainforest, and alpine wilderness, all right there. Worth a trip even if the fishing sucks, which it might during the summer.

    If you have to fish on the way from Portland to Seattle, I can't help you - never fished in that part of Washington. Plenty of big and small blue lines on the map though, and all of them will either hold smallies or trout, depending on the elevation, so for all I know you could have a great time taking a couple of small detours off your route.

    One word of warning though... recreational marijuana is legal in both Oregon and Washington, and is freely sold from roadside stands in all the areas I just mentioned. So if you pull over and ask directions, take them with a grain of salt - decent chance the people who gave them to you were high. Even if they look like clean cut yuppie types: probably blazed out of their minds. Of course, when road-tripping where weed is legal, it's always good to keep a degree of flexibility in your planning, for all kinds of reasons.


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 190 Times in 133 Posts
    Chats
    11
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    So, I'm assuming you don't have time for a 2-3 day side trip?

    If you did, you could go south from Portland and have great summer smallmouth fishing on the Umpqua. There are sections of that river where the smallie count is upwards of 4000 fish per mile - five, six, ten aggressive bronze-backs behind every rock. Had one of the most fun fishing trips of my life on that river - a bachelor party trip for my cousin.

    Or, you could drive to Seattle, then drive an hour or two east on I-90 to the Yakima river, which has great summer fly fishing for rainbows and cutthroat on terrestrials. I grew up fishing that river in the summer. Ideally fished from a boat, but if you stop in at the fly shop in Cle Elum, they can point you to some great wade spots. The fish aren't huge in that river, but they are feisty and hungry, and there are lots of them.

    Last thing that comes to mind is detouring west into the Olympic Peninsula. The Sol Duc and the Elwha rivers have trout in them. Neither is big water - these are mountain streams. The Elwha empties into Puget Sound near Port Angeles and the Sol Duc runs west through the mountains and empties into the Pacific. I haven't fished those rivers much. The OP is beautiful country though, rocky coastline, temperate rainforest, and alpine wilderness, all right there. Worth a trip even if the fishing sucks, which it might during the summer.

    If you have to fish on the way from Portland to Seattle, I can't help you - never fished in that part of Washington. Plenty of big and small blue lines on the map though, and all of them will either hold smallies or trout, depending on the elevation, so for all I know you could have a great time taking a couple of small detours off your route.

    One word of warning though... recreational marijuana is legal in both Oregon and Washington, and is freely sold from roadside stands in all the areas I just mentioned. So if you pull over and ask directions, take them with a grain of salt - decent chance the people who gave them to you were high. Even if they look like clean cut yuppie types: probably blazed out of their minds. Of course, when road-tripping where weed is legal, it's always good to keep a degree of flexibility in your planning, for all kinds of reasons.
    There's no real purpose behind this trip so we are pretty flexible. After some initial research last night, it looks like we will be spending the majority of our time in Olympic NP and North Cascades. It looks amazing! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an eye out for those road-side stands..


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 115 Times in 77 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    There's no real purpose behind this trip so we are pretty flexible. After some initial research last night, it looks like we will be spending the majority of our time in Olympic NP and North Cascades. It looks amazing! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an eye out for those road-side stands..
    By the way, if you are backpacking or hiking at all, PM me, as there's a whole other set of options. Many alpine lakes in the North Cascades and OP NP are stocked, and some have big wild or holdover trout in them.


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,082
    Thanks
    2,054
    Thanked 940 Times in 626 Posts
    Chats
    4328
    Groans
    24
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    There's no real purpose behind this trip so we are pretty flexible. After some initial research last night, it looks like we will be spending the majority of our time in Olympic NP and North Cascades. It looks amazing! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an eye out for those road-side stands..
    I'd never make it to the river....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

    CTobias (07-19-2017), Rusty Spinner (07-18-2017)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,877
    Thanks
    1,948
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 982 Posts
    Chats
    1909
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I'd never make it to the river....
    I can't tell you how many anglers I know that still fish Montana every year, but now fly into Denver instead of Bozeman just to

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,800
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,559
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 679 Posts
    Chats
    3024
    Groans
    26
    Groaned 31 Times in 31 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    That's a pretty good answer, emoussa.

    Pretty much covers it, so I have nothing to add.

    Have you tried asking Siri?
    Hmm I suppose I could have given him a myriad of options to consider not knowing his schedule but then again I could also just delete your account...decisions decisions

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

    CTobias (07-19-2017)

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 115 Times in 77 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Hmm I suppose I could have given him a myriad of options to consider not knowing his schedule but then again I could also just delete your account...decisions decisions
    Yeah by all means, delete the account of the most (only?) consistently entertaining member of this site.

    Unrelated question: why are you always selling stuff? Do you own a fly shop or some other kind of business where people send you free fly gear?

    I know DC gets free shit for keeping this crappy site going - is it that kind of thing?

    Gotta get in on this racket. My TFO 5-weight isn't getting any younger. Or better.


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,082
    Thanks
    2,054
    Thanked 940 Times in 626 Posts
    Chats
    4328
    Groans
    24
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    So, that's where Beetle went, MAC, drunk with power, deleted his account temporarily...hmmmm

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

    CTobias (07-19-2017)

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,800
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,559
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 679 Posts
    Chats
    3024
    Groans
    26
    Groaned 31 Times in 31 Posts


    Re: Oregon and Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Yeah by all means, delete the account of the most (only?) consistently entertaining member of this site.

    Unrelated question: why are you always selling stuff? Do you own a fly shop or some other kind of business where people send you free fly gear?

    I know DC gets free shit for keeping this crappy site going - is it that kind of thing?

    Gotta get in on this racket. My TFO 5-weight isn't getting any younger. Or better.
    Relax mudbug it's a joke. I love beetle. as for your question about why I always selling stuff, I actually don't always sell stuff. I've listed a few rods and reels in the past year. I have a lot of equipment and like to try out new gear. I currently have my sites set on a new Scott rod. I currently have about 20 fly rods and roughly the same number of reels. Some I'll never sell and some I will. It's really not that complicated. Once in a while I get a heavily discounted or free fly rod from a fly shop.
    I usually post them here so I can get some entertainment value from the replies. I know you boobs don't have 2 nickels to rub together.

    On a separate note I fished the Yakima a few times in the 90s. Lots of cooperative fish in that river.

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

    CTobias (07-19-2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •