Royal Wulff Products
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Where is everyone?

The graveyard is 2 blocks down and on the right? What happened here? The important people are here, of which I am one. I havenít fished yet this spring since Iím currently a gimp. Aside from the overly optimistic Catskill reports on the usual websites, how has the fishing been there? I havenít been able to wade because of my gimpiness, the high water did not help this situation, and my buddy with a boated moved. Far. However, this weekend I might pop some meds, suck-up the pain and make an attempt. How has it been? Bugs? Any spinners?

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Nazi For This Useful Post:

CTobias (05-24-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Where is everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    The graveyard is 2 blocks down and on the right? What happened here? The important people are here, of which I am one. I havenít fished yet this spring since Iím currently a gimp. Aside from the overly optimistic Catskill reports on the usual websites, how has the fishing been there? I havenít been able to wade because of my gimpiness, the high water did not help this situation, and my buddy with a boated moved. Far. However, this weekend I might pop some meds, suck-up the pain and make an attempt. How has it been? Bugs? Any spinners?
    Yes, use spinners, Rapalas to be exact, and yes there are lots of bugs, so bring some spray, deet works the best....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

CTobias (05-24-2017), MACFLY (05-20-2017), Rusty Spinner (05-18-2017), tompg (05-18-2017), Trout Nazi (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Yes, use spinners, Rapalas to be exact, and yes there are lots of bugs, so bring some spray, deet works the best....
    Thanks for confirming. My original plan was to roll in heavy with the Mepps Black Fury and Aglia longs (with bucktails), and also throw some Lucky Craft's. I like to keep all the treble hooks on and razor sharp, I don't play.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trout Nazi For This Useful Post:

CTobias (05-24-2017), lightenup (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Thanks for confirming. My original plan was to roll in heavy with the Mepps Black Fury and Aglia longs (with bucktails), and also throw some Lucky Craft's. I like to keep all the treble hooks on and razor sharp, I don't play.

Don't forget your Panther Martins...

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

CTobias (05-24-2017), Trout Nazi (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Dry fly action has not set the world on fire so far this spring, at least locally. Catskills have largely been high water, but that is now mostly on the tailwaters. Drifting has been the way to go, but like you, I don't own a boat. Sulfurs are on local NJ waters, but I have yet to see a strong hatch. Tons of caddis as normal, but it's mainly the mayflies that will make them look up (or not) right now. At least our water levels are back to normal or close. More rain in a few days on the way.

What did you do to become a gimp?

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (05-20-2017)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Fishing on the D is a shit show right now. Don't bother. I saw this one guy post a pic of a West Branch stocked brown with a tail that looked like the piranha got to it.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    Fishing on the D is a shit show right now. Don't bother. I saw this one guy post a pic of a West Branch stocked brown with a tail that looked like the piranha got to it.
    So what you're saying is we should be swinging huge brown trout streamers with big ol' articulated tails in the hope of catchin' piranha?

WHO predicted THIS type of spring?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Future Fanatic For This Useful Post:

CTobias (05-24-2017), lightenup (05-19-2017), Pete (05-19-2017), Rusty Spinner (05-23-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Dry fly action has not set the world on fire so far this spring, at least locally. Catskills have largely been high water, but that is now mostly on the tailwaters. Drifting has been the way to go, but like you, I don't own a boat. Sulfurs are on local NJ waters, but I have yet to see a strong hatch. Tons of caddis as normal, but it's mainly the mayflies that will make them look up (or not) right now. At least our water levels are back to normal or close. More rain in a few days on the way.

What did you do to become a gimp?
    I survived the ski season mostly in tact, however a high-speed crash on my MTB took me out. The newer bikes enable you to carry alot more speed, which is both a good and a bad thing. Made hamburger meat out of my quad.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    I'm not a big West Branch guy, I prefer the big river when conditions allow, because it always seems like a shit show on the West Branch. As of right now, conditions don't look like they allow, which makes me feel a little better. Plus the spots I like to fish on the Big River require burning alot of boot felt to get to.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not a big West Branch guy, I prefer the big river when conditions allow, because it always seems like a shit show on the West Branch. As of right now, conditions don't look like they allow, which makes me feel a little better. Plus the spots I like to fish on the Big River require burning alot of boot felt to get to.
    One good thing about this year is the higher flows have made the lower east fishable again- past couple seasons its been a dont bother situation. Not a numbers thing over there but I've taken a couple 22-24'' over there this season and have seen some decent bug activity. Upper EB also fishing well with quality bugs this spring

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    One good thing about this year is the higher flows have made the lower east fishable again- past couple seasons its been a dont bother situation. Not a numbers thing over there but I've taken a couple 22-24'' over there this season and have seen some decent bug activity. Upper EB also fishing well with quality bugs this spring
    One of my best days ever was on the Upper EB. If conditions allow, I'd preferentially float the Upper EB over the WB. I haven't been to the WB in years.

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Q: Where is everyone?
    ---------

A: Everyone is at Balls Eddy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	automall.jpg