Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Will be in the Roscoe and Monticello area for a few days next week

Me and my fly fishing buddy will be in the Roscoe and Monticello area for a few days next week. I'd say we're intermediate fly fishermen - we don't need any help on the water. Looking to see if anyone wants to meet up on Friday, 5/5 at some spots on any of the following rivers: east branch, west branch, neversink, BK, or willow. Longer hike ins / less people is a plus. If you have some time to meet up with us at all, let me know. Send a PM or else post here. We'll have cigars or cliff bars to share, whatever your poison is. Thanks guys!

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Will be in the Roscoe and Monticello area for a few days next week

I'll probably be on the lower EB with my cousin that afternoon - maybe the second best place on your list on the "less people" criterion. (First would be parts of the neversink.)

Happy to meet up and fish, or just point you to some good spots on the map in exchange for a cigar. The quality of the spots will depend on the quality of the cigar.

But the rivers on your list vary drastically in terms of conditions and type of fishing, so you should probably make your decision based on what you feel like. If you're looking to cast dries or nymph pocket water for stockies and holdovers, the BK is great. (though crowded so you probably don't want to deal with that)

Beautiful wild browns and bows of average size can be nymphed up in the Neversink gorge if you're not adverse to a hike. Upper EB is a great, manageable dry fly river if you're wading - it's stocked in a few places, and spooky giants lurk in many others. Then, the lower WB and EB are another game all together - really big water that forces you to fish either from a boat or approach your wading like a big game hunter, identifying and studying your targets, and then betting the farm on one very long cast to an often very large wild fish.

Sorry - more than you asked for. Anyway, hit me up via PM if you want to check out the lower EB or upper main around Hancock - that's where me and my cousin will most likely be.

Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

Thursthouse (04-28-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

mudbug. I just sent you a PM, let me know if you don't receive it.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Obviously, not looking to Spot burn here. Just looking to see if anyone wants to meet up to fish. Fly fishing can be a fun solitary activity, but just as fun with other people who know what they're doing.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

I sent you a novel of a pm. Some dude got lost in the gorge when I was there on Monday. Cops texted me at 2AM when they finally found him (they'd been looking for him since 4pm). Not to scare you out of going there, just explaining why the PM was so detailed. You now have the ultimate route mapped out...

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moosekid For This Useful Post:

fluid1 (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not trying to be a dick:

You want to hike for solitude but fish with other people for the social experience. Try this: Hang out at Hazel Bridge Pool. There are usually some nice enough people hanging out there being social with stogies and what not when the fishing is slow. When you're ready to get away, just start walking up or down stream. Won't take long until nobody is around.

Caught one of my very biggest trout ever at HBP right behind all the other guys fishing the far bank. It was a hoot. I was just chewing the fat on the back when we saw two giants cruise behind everyone. I dropped an ant and watched him take it.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

thats a great story! I think we'll likely be on the BK and Willowemoc on Thursday when we get up there, just to get started. Might try that spot. Usually we end up in Wagon Tracks or junction just to get our feet wet, literally.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 979 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrJesse34 View Post
    We'll have cigars or cliff bars to share, whatever your poison is. Thanks guys!
    ]

Whatever happened to whiskey and a joint?

Enjoy your fishing. I will be plying the waters of the Catskills myself tomorrow through Sunday with up to 20 of my buddies from all over the East coast. We have a bunch of cabins rented at Dream Catcher Lodge on the WBD and an armada of drift boats. Going to put a hurting on the fish rising to Hendricksons, do some wade and drift fishing, drink and eat too much, and head back home for work next week.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

lightenup (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    ]
    I will be plying the waters of the Catskills myself tomorrow through Sunday with up to 20 of my buddies from all over the East coast. We have a bunch of cabins rented at Dream Catcher Lodge on the WBD and an armada of drift boats.
    Is that a change of venue?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

]

Enjoy your fishing. I will be plying the waters of the Catskills myself tomorrow through Sunday with up to 20 of my buddies from all over the East coast. We have a bunch of cabins rented at Dream Catcher Lodge on the WBD and an armada of drift boats. Going to put a hurting on the fish rising to Hendricksons, do some wade and drift fishing, drink and eat too much, and head back home for work next week.

Translation: Every fish from Stilesville to Junction Pool will be spooked to high heaven and hiding under a rock, waiting till the barbarian hordes decamp. Fish the main stem instead.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

lightenup (05-02-2017), Rusty Spinner (05-08-2017), Thursthouse (05-04-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

]

I've been staying at the Dream Catcher for the past several years. Great place and nice people.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

That sounds most excellent! Hoping the weather holds out for us all. We are trying to see if we can talk moosekid into meeting us for some Neversink gorge fishing either Fri or Sat.

]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information