Simms
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caddis i assume

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Caddis i assume

so i got a newbie question. ive bin fishing the gorge this past week well all winter really but this week for the most part ive noticed some different bugs coming off the river. a guy fishing next to me said they were caddis.. can someone give me an idea which caddis these bugs could be this time of year. these are the first larger size bugs ive seen this year. the other being midges of course..
    can someone give me some recommendations of which flies best to imitate these bugs.
    i really do appreciate it

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 986 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Re: Caddis i assume

They could be one of several caddis at this time of year. It helps to give a color of body and wings plus a hook size. Or just take a picture of one on your hand for size comparison. Either way, a caddis pupa will do well if you match the color and size to what's hatching.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    They could be one of several caddis at this time of year. It helps to give a color of body and wings plus a hook size. Or just take a picture of one on your hand for size comparison. Either way, a caddis pupa will do well if you match the color and size to what's hatching.
    ok ill have to remember that for next time. im pretty sure they were a tan color an roughly a size 18. they weren't very big even next to the midges in the air. i also forgot the mention the other fisherman that said they were caddis said to use anything that had yellow in it. dont know if that helps. I knew there were alot of different bugs the come from the stream but thought there were only a few main flies which im learning quickly thats not the case at all...like i said im new a fly fishing only picked up a fly rod for the first time last September. Now ive only touched my brand new sustain 1 time for about 10 casts. i truly am in love with fly fishing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrwjobs1972 For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

I was there Monday and small caddis where hatching, so were stoneflies and the odd large mayfly...maybe blue quills, I am no bug expert....I fished an apple green iris caddis with 2 small split shot and did very well, 90% of the fish took it in the dead drift and a couple on the swing as the fly was rising..the apple green iris caddis will work mostly all spring...fish it dry or wet, depending on how the fish are behaving....

Caribou caddis works well as a dry also.....the fish really never rise to a stonefly around here, at least I have never seen it in Jersey, but the nymphs.....yes....the caddis size I saw was about 18, so that is the size iris I tied on....the fish loved it.

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I was there Monday and small caddis where hatching, so were stoneflies and the odd large mayfly...maybe blue quills, I am no bug expert....
    More than likely our Quill Gordons. Blue quills are the Paraleps which are much smaller. Quill Gordons are a size bigger and longer than a Hendrickson which they often overlap in hatching here in NJ waters. The SBR is one of our few decent Quill Gordon waters left. Two tails is one of the giveaways for QG versus Hendrickson with 3 tails. Paraleps have 3 tails and are more around size 18 locally. Those are our 3 main early mayflies on the South Branch.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

More than likely our Quill Gordons. Blue quills are the Paraleps which are much smaller. Quill Gordons are a size bigger and longer than a Hendrickson which they often overlap in hatching here in NJ waters. The SBR is one of our few decent Quill Gordon waters left. Two tails is one of the giveaways for QG versus Hendrickson with 3 tails. Paraleps have 3 tails and are more around size 18 locally. Those are our 3 main early mayflies on the South Branch.
    Only saw 1 or 2 flying around..didnt get close enough to count tails..thanks..I should have Gordons on my back porch soon outta the local creek ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

wow do i have a lot to remember. and even more to learn. i really appreciate the information guys. huge help. i ordered a bunch more materials tonight so i can work on trying to tie some different bugs. just guessing now that more bugs are hatching im gonna need more of a selection of flies. for the most part i made it through the winter with a hares ear and a rs2..see ya on the water. i drive a teal chevy with a big harley shield in the back window..

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by mrwjobs1972 View Post
    wow do i have a lot to remember. and even more to learn. i really appreciate the information guys. huge help. i ordered a bunch more materials tonight so i can work on trying to tie some different bugs. just guessing now that more bugs are hatching im gonna need more of a selection of flies. for the most part i made it through the winter with a hares ear and a rs2..see ya on the water. i drive a teal chevy with a big harley shield in the back window..
    There's no need to be a bug nerd. Just buy Adams mayfly imitations for your dries from size 10 down to 20s and you're all set.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

There's no need to be a bug nerd. Just buy Adams mayfly imitations for your dries from size 10 down to 20s and you're all set.
    That's like telling a guy who is having trouble getting a date to grow a mustache and all his problems will be solved........

Mrwjobs, join a trout unlimited chapter, get to know a few guys you can fish with and talk to the guys in the local fly shops. Over time you will figure out what flies to use and when.

Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHeron For This Useful Post:

lightenup (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeron View Post
    That's like telling a guy who is having trouble getting a date to grow a mustache and all his problems will be solved........

Mrwjobs, join a trout unlimited chapter, get to know a few guys you can fish with and talk to the guys in the local fly shops. Over time you will figure out what flies to use and when.
    yes i was definitely gonna do that. which brings up another question and a touchy one at that im sure. I live in raritan. there is 2 TU chapters in my area i think. which one do i join ? guess it really doesn't matter but when i do join i would like to be involved. is there 1 chapter thats more active than another

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Ive bin told that a few times. im gonna attempt to tie up a bunch in all sizes n colors asap..

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Jobs..if you fish Mondays I d be happy to.meet you there and give you the limited knowledge I have.....😉

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information