Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

Suggest a west trip!

It's been ten years since I took a trip out west. It seems it's time once again. A friend and I fished the Henry's Fork and the Bitterroot system back then. I had a great time and would be willing to do it all again. But is there a trip that any of you guys feel the same way about? I'm open to suggestions...
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Suggest a west trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    It's been ten years since I took a trip out west. It seems it's time once again. A friend and I fished the Henry's Fork and the Bitterroot system back then. I had a great time and would be willing to do it all again. But is there a trip that any of you guys feel the same way about? I'm open to suggestions...
    Thanks!

Missouri River in Montana. Nuff said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 979 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Montana has more trout water than could be fished in 10 lifetimes. Do you want to float, wade, spring creek, nymph, dry fly, wilderness camping, fancy lodge, no-frills, etc.? There are so many options it makes one's head spin.

Answer some of those for yourself and it will start to guide you down a path of fishing fun.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

JOE.T (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

The Madison River, stay at The Slide Inn, and by all means, ask Kelly about the "kiddie pool" and fish it.....The Madison offers wade fishing, float fishing, scenery, large nasty fish, you are close to Yellowstone, the Henry's Fork, the Gallatin, and only about an hour and a half from Paradise Valley if you want to fish the famous spring creeks(where you will get skunked, because, apparently you never fish )...
    O'dell's spring creek is close as well....also if you are in the area of Bozeman, Hyalite creek is a nice place for small beautiful rainbows, and lots of them.....I want to go back there just typing this....

edit: if you are into still water fishing, you have Hebgen lake and Quake lake.....there is also good dining at "The Grizzly", and a fun bar scene at the titty picture place, I have forgotten the name of the place......but by all means, do not try to take home the "chick" in the men's bathroom, Grobert tried, it didn't work out for him as, she went "flat"...

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (12-31-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Everyone has some great suggestions.I think Rusty hit the nail on the head though.What is it that you want out of the trip?

If it's Dry-Fishing to Monsters in "Big water" than i have to say the Mighty Mo.The Missouri River is literally a Bug Factory .You can nymph it,wade or float it. Accommodations can range from $100 to $800 a night or you can rough it.My Favorite time is the 3rd week in July or the 4th week in October.

It also gives you the option to fish the Land of the giants which is the Mo just another area.

Have Fun

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.T For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks, all. I appreciate your thoughts. I was really just looking to hear about your favorite trips, but if you've got your heart set on finding me the perfect trip, have at it...

I'm definitely a no frills guy. Don't think though that this means I want to wake up in a tent with a rattle snake.

The last trip I did, we spent 2-3 days wandering around Idaho wade fishing and 4-5 days at an outfitter's in Montana where we floated each day. I am thinking about something like this again. My buddy is currently thinking we should make Bozeman our "headquarters" and spend our time split between floats with guides and exploring on our own wading excursions. Sound good? Suggestions? Thanks again.

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Float the upper Madison, right below quake lake, CMM style.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks, all. I appreciate your thoughts. I was really just looking to hear about your favorite trips, but if you've got your heart set on finding me the perfect trip, have at it...

I'm definitely a no frills guy. Don't think though that this means I want to wake up in a tent with a rattle snake.

The last trip I did, we spent 2-3 days wandering around Idaho wade fishing and 4-5 days at an outfitter's in Montana where we floated each day. I am thinking about something like this again. My buddy is currently thinking we should make Bozeman our "headquarters" and spend our time split between floats with guides and exploring on our own wading excursions. Sound good? Suggestions? Thanks again.
    Let me check with my partner, Eric, as he fishes that area all of the time even though he lives in Livingston right near the Yellowstone which is the river he fishes most. He would know good "no frills" places as well.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

FF - here's what Eric told me about if you stay in or near the Bozeman area.

(in no particular order)

Bighole
    Missouri River below Holter dam
    Beaverhead (but not if the water is low)
    Shields River, a Yellowstone trib that won't have as many trout, but has all 4 species and is very seldom fished like the big named rivers are
    Yellowstone
    Madison near Ennis, MT
    Gallatin

and if you have some modest funds, the pay to play spring creeks like Depuy's Spring Creek are great

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    FF - here's what Eric told me about if you stay in or near the Bozeman area.

(in no particular order)

Bighole
    Missouri River below Holter dam
    Beaverhead (but not if the water is low)
    Shields River, a Yellowstone trib that won't have as many trout, but has all 4 species and is very seldom fished like the big named rivers are
    Yellowstone
    Madison near Ennis, MT
    Gallatin

and if you have some modest funds, the pay to play spring creeks like Depuy's Spring Creek are great
    Thanks for that list, Rusty, but do ya think you could provide gps coordinates? I'll be wearing a pair of Red Balls and would like to keep the walking to a minimum. If you could also get Eric to describe a few big rocks where the fish'll be holding, that'd be good, too. You're a peach.

John

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Future Fanatic For This Useful Post:

lightenup (02-06-2017), Rusty Spinner (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for that list, Rusty, but do ya think you could provide gps coordinates? I'll be wearing a pair of Red Balls and would like to keep the walking to a minimum. If you could also get Eric to describe a few big rocks where the fish'll be holding, that'd be good, too. You're a peach.

Geesh, do I have to cast for you too?

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Geesh, do I have to cast for you too?

Wow!!!
    That's quite a magnanimous offer!
    But, having given it some thought, I'll decline.
    I do get some pleasure from frothing up the water in front of me.
    BUT, would you be available to suggest and tie on any flies I might need? I find that task so tedious.
    That'd be great.
    If not, could you inquire of your Montana partner and see if he'd be available?
    Thanks for the offer to cast, but tying on my flies would be MUCH better.
    On pins and needles awaiting your response!

John

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Future Fanatic For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (02-09-2017)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information