Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Anyone want to float the west branch Sunday 8/21?

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    I would enjoy a day of September fishing with you.

Charlie plans to keep his new wooden drift boat on my land, which is great, although I'm not sure my Hyundai Tucson (front wheel drive) will be able to haul that thing (although I do have use privileges)... It's heavy enough that it wrecked his transmission, although if you add the cost of a totaled Bronco and towing expenses, for both the Bronco and the boat, this wooden one seater with a cooler for a second is still a pretty good deal. Price was 600, just for the boat, but to be fair add another 4000 or so for the tows and totaled vehicle so far in its wake.

I should be able to return the favor if my car can move it, although if it doesn't we'll have to pay for another tow to the boat launch.
    Not only is Beetle a fantastic caster, he's also an expert mechanic. When he makes decisions about his vehicle, he prefers instinct to google.

Your car is rated to tow 2000 pounds. The boat + trailer weighs 500, tops -- probably less.

The Bronco was rated to tow 4000 pounds. I think the transmission was a time-bomb and the 180 mile drive was the nail in the coffin...

after all, mudbug tows his boat in a geo metro

All this being said, I probably won't buy another vehicle until Spring so if anyone wants to float the D this fall -- i'll row -- you tow.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Would you tow it to the launch for Mudbug and I?

I'd give you 35 bucks.
    Go ahead and take them to the launch for a pittance...
    But, when they want to go home... $$$$$$$$

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

lightenup (08-27-2016), MACFLY (08-27-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    Not only is Beetle a fantastic caster, he's also an expert mechanic. When he makes decisions about his vehicle, he prefers instinct to google.

Your car is rated to tow 2000 pounds. The boat + trailer weighs 500, tops -- probably less.

The Bronco was rated to tow 4000 pounds. I think the transmission was a time-bomb and the 180 mile drive was the nail in the coffin...

after all, mudbug tows his boat in a geo metro

All this being said, I probably won't buy another vehicle until Spring so if anyone wants to float the D this fall -- i'll row -- you tow.
    Nice socks!!!!!

Are those Montana plates?!?!?!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally got up to the west branch saturday for the maiden voyage on the toon. Put in in stilesville and took out at hale eddy. Water was around 1000 cfs and off color. Threw streamers confidently with the switch rod with no interest, but did land a nice 17-18" spunky brown on my version of a swimming iso nymph 18" off the back of a cdc iso dun. Also had some interest in the dun but couldn't connect. Sporadic white flies were coming off and getting taken on top too. Anyone have a favorite pattern for them? Super tiny BWO's all over and the random small sulfur as well.

Pontoon worked awesome, btw. Actually landed that one brown from the pontoon below the treatment plant.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cms829 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (09-13-2016), Thursthouse (09-13-2016), WBDluver (09-14-2016)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cms829 View Post
    Finally got up to the west branch saturday for the maiden voyage on the toon. Put in in stilesville and took out at hale eddy. Water was around 1000 cfs and off color. Threw streamers confidently with the switch rod with no interest, but did land a nice 17-18" spunky brown on my version of a swimming iso nymph 18" off the back of a cdc iso dun. Also had some interest in the dun but couldn't connect. Sporadic white flies were coming off and getting taken on top too. Anyone have a favorite pattern for them? Super tiny BWO's all over and the random small sulfur as well.

Pontoon worked awesome, btw. Actually landed that one brown from the pontoon below the treatment plant.

White flies /cahils are a tease on the upper river, u see them around this time of year but the fish rarely get on them. This is due to a variety of factors including the fact there has been a ton of pressure by this time of year and the fish are not as consistent on the surface, and will focus on emerger in the film, subsurface. This is particularly true this year since most rivers were shot with the brutal summer we had so the upper wb fish got beat to death. A cdc emerger with a cream body in a size 14 is the way to go if you want to fish one, or a comparadun style dun with a deer hair wing. Sometimes they prefer the deer hair wing over the cdc, especially up there where everyone fishes cdc flies and the fish get used to seeing them. Sometimes you can get a fish to take these at dark, and in my experience the cahil fishing is better on the lower river anyway. Same goes for Iso's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (09-13-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info flyI4. I def saw white flies coming off...or at least they were certainly larger bright white mayflys. I actually did see them taken off the water for sure too. Maybe they just weren't white flies and I was seeing something else. Def much bigger than the usual sulphurs.

PS- heres a shot of the brown. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WBBrown.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	12419

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information