Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colorado trip

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado trip

Hey all,

Heading to Colorado for the week of the 4th and wondering what are my best options for getting into some solid fishing for cutties/browns. We'll be in the areas between Denver and Estes Park.

We're pretty much going into this blind as we don't have much experience fishing out there and we won't be hiring a guide.

Any insight into big deviations from fishing our home waters here in NJ/NY other than we'll be dealing with bigger water? Hatches this time of year?

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Colorado trip

I would contact some fly shops in the general area before you go, and buy a topo map...make a plan ahead of time...that's always a good idea unless you know where you are going, or have a knowledgeable travel partner..have fun....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I would contact some fly shops in the general area before you go, and buy a topo map...make a plan ahead of time...that's always a good idea unless you know where you are going, or have a knowledgeable travel partner..have fun....
    I think you ought to stick to making cheeseburgers!

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    I think you ought to stick to making cheeseburgers!
    Ummmm, I don't cook anymore, I delegate, I am upper management now.. So bite me boob, I gotta' a cheeseburger for you, I'll meet ya' at the TP....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Ummmm, I don't cook anymore, I delegate, I am upper management now.. So bite me boob, I gotta' a cheeseburger for you, I'll meet ya' at the TP....
    Every time I pass by, I look for you outside the hop with your roller skates on. lol.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

lightenup (06-23-2016), WBDluver (06-23-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks, will do. Figured I would dangle this out there in case anyone had something on this.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Google hatch charts, and lurk on their forums, productive
    western trout flies are usually bigger than the east coast.
    Go get 'em!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flymantis73 For This Useful Post:

valdesd1 (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 981 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Lots of brook trout streams near Estes Park. Bigger water is a bit further of a drive. Don't know your mobility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Fished that same exact area a few years back. Same time of year. I brought my 3 weight and had a ball on the St. Vrain, which is full of wild brookies and cutties. The fish aren't very selective or very big, but they can be spooky, and the water is typically gin clear. Light leaders and tippet and all purpose attractor flies (adams, stims, etc.) do the trick. It's fun fishing once you accept that you're not in for some kind of Hemmingway-esque life or death battle with one of those tiny brookies - it's similar to fishing a small WTS back here in some ways, but the terrain is actually easier because there's way less to snag on - it's mostly canyons and meadows, and the scenery is incredible.

As Rusty says, the big water is further west. Biggest water close to Estes Park is the Big Thompson, which has lots of nice, accessible pocket water between Estes Park and the reservoir. I caught a few decent browns in there but they didn't compare to the browns I catch back here. If I had it to do over again, I'd stick to exploring the little brook trout streams because the scenery is insane and the fish are abundant and fun to catch, even if they're mostly little guys.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (06-24-2016), valdesd1 (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the terrain is easier to navigate in terms of bushwhacking and such. We'll be camping near Estes for the weekend so I'll try to check out St. Vrain.

In terms of proximity to Denver, I guess the South Platte is another option for me? Mobility wise, I can manage a good two hour drive from Denver to hit some larger water. My understanding is the SP will not provide much in solitude as this river gets a good amount of pressure. Like you mentioned, fishing with some insane scenery is a definite goal.

I don't think i'm gonna go too crazy with buying flies over there. Sounds like I can manage with my share of attractors, general nymphs and streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Fished that same exact area a few years back. Same time of year. I brought my 3 weight and had a ball on the St. Vrain, which is full of wild brookies and cutties. The fish aren't very selective or very big, but they can be spooky, and the water is typically gin clear. Light leaders and tippet and all purpose attractor flies (adams, stims, etc.) do the trick. It's fun fishing once you accept that you're not in for some kind of Hemmingway-esque life or death battle with one of those tiny brookies - it's similar to fishing a small WTS back here in some ways, but the terrain is actually easier because there's way less to snag on - it's mostly canyons and meadows, and the scenery is incredible.

As Rusty says, the big water is further west. Biggest water close to Estes Park is the Big Thompson, which has lots of nice, accessible pocket water between Estes Park and the reservoir. I caught a few decent browns in there but they didn't compare to the browns I catch back here. If I had it to do over again, I'd stick to exploring the little brook trout streams because the scenery is insane and the fish are abundant and fun to catch, even if they're mostly little guys.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

You should fish the SP at Deckers. I just moved to Denver and it seems to be the best option near by. If your looking for a more scenic location you should try eleven mile canyon which is also on the SP.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Im heading to CO in a few weeks as well. I plan to fish the South Platte at 11 mile canyon for a day then hike into the Sangre de Cristo range to bag a few peaks and fish for some bigger cutthroats in the alpine lakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information