Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Re: WHY Bears?

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    The only solution to the problem is education and show graphic images on how powerful a bear is and what it is capable of doing. I don’t understand why the parks and states do not have this approach. Putting up a sign Your in bear country or don’t feed the wildlife is ineffective.
    No way to stop every person before they enter a state forest and show them video just so they won't be attacked and eaten. This state already spends a lot of taxpayer dollars to educate the public about bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Was Mr. Patel targeted because he smelled like a herbivore?
    No, he was targeted most likely because he ran in a different direction than his 4 other friends and you never run from a bear. That particular bear was a 300 lb young boar living among many larger adult bears including sows with cubs and boars well over 500 lbs (I know because it was right down the road from where I grew up and I still spend a lot of time there). That young male bear fits the mold perfectly for one that attacks humans and eats them and biologists will tell you it is due to it being chased off other food sources by older bears.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    No way to stop every person before they enter a state forest and show them video just so they won't be attacked and eaten. This state already spends a lot of taxpayer dollars to educate the public about bears.
    Brian I am not trying to be condescending or this is a dig at you . Ok the state is spending money to circumvent the problem. What the state is doing is apparently not working. From what it sounds like the issues are escalating. What I am suggesting is if plan A is not getting the proper response from the public. That plan needs to reassessed.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    681 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

How fast do you have to run to get away from a bear?

Just a bit faster than the people with you.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    How fast do you have to run to get away from a bear?

Just a bit faster than the people with you.....

Funny, funny, funny.

Watch this and observe at 4:42 when one of the joggers looks back. The bastard left the old guy in the dust as bait.

https://youtu.be/LlB0FqQ0DlQ

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

This is what you do. text book

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Brian I am not trying to be condescending or this is a dig at you . Ok the state is spending money to circumvent the problem. What the state is doing is apparently not working. From what it sounds like the issues are escalating. What I am suggesting is if plan A is not getting the proper response from the public. That plan needs to reassessed.
    Should the state also change the way they tell us that texting or drinking while driving is bad? At some point, the people living in bear country need to have common sense, but common sense long ago disappeared from our culture. I get what you are saying and I don't disagree, but look at the Darsh Patel incident where 5 hikers left their car to take a hike, entered the woods and were immediately greeted by a local couple coming out of the woods that told them not to hike because there was a very aggressive bear that they had just encountered. So what did these city boys do? Marched right to where they were warned to stay away from and the rest is history. Humans are both the smartest and dumbest animals on the planet.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information